Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sales of the iPhone 6 Plus made up 41% of all sales for handsets with a display size of 5.5-inches or greater, according to a new report by Kantar Worldpanel. The data in the report represents the three month period ending in October 14, and also notes that sales of larger phones now represent 10% of overall smartphone sales, up from 2% for the same period in 2013. Aside from Apple's iPhone 6 Plus, larger-screen handsets from competitors like Samsung, LG, and HTC have also seen success.

iphone6plus.jpg
At the point of sale, when asked what drove their choice of smartphones, 58% of those surveyed who bought an iPhone 6 Plus said screen size was the primary reason for choosing their device. Despite the more compact design of the iPhone 6, 60% of consumers who chose it also cited screen size as the primary purchase driver. The ability to connect to a 4G/LTE network was the second most important reason cited by both buyer groups.
The report still notes however that the iPhone 6 was the best-selling iOS device during the time period with a 33% market share. This was followed by the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c which owned a 26% and 16% market share respectively, and followed by the iPhone 6 Plus which captured 10% of iOS device sales. Of all iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus buyers, 85% of those surveyed were repeat iOS device buyers while 9% said they switched from Android.

The iPhone 6 Plus saw heavy supply constraints shortly after its launch in September, with Apple reportedly delaying mass production for the iPad Pro to focus on producing more iPhone 6 Plus units. However, shipping times for both the larger-screen iPhone and the iPhone 6 improved yesterday, with many models in Apple's online store now carrying a shipping estimate of 3 to 5 days in the United States.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Plus Makes Up 41% of Large Phone Sales as iPhone 6 Leads iOS Devices

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Not anything to have Google worried if so few people converted from Android, but very nice sales numbers regardless.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The report still notes however that the iPhone 6 was the best-selling iOS device during the time period with a 33% market share. This was followed by the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c which owned a 26% and 16% market share respectively, and followed by the iPhone 6 Plus which captured 10% of iOS device sales.

Kantar observed the iOS device breakdown as follows:

33% - iPhone 6
26% - iPhone 5S
16% - iPhone 5C
10% - iPhone 6 Plus
(I'm assuming the other 15% are iPads)

We've heard other reports saying that the iPhone 6 has been outselling the iPhone 6 Plus 3-to-1... so I'm not really shocked by Kantar's findings.

But I am shocked that more people are choosing the older iPhones rather than the newer models.

I don't think that's ever happened before... has it? I was under the impression that the current model has always handily outsold the older models. Maybe I was wrong.

So what's going on here? Are people turned off by the new sizes?

Or is it an availability problem? Maybe there are iPhone 4S users who are ready to upgrade... but only the 5S and 5C are available at the time.

Thoughts?

I'm just curious about the difference between current iPhone models and not-current iPhone models.

Right now... the not-current iPhones are selling more than the current iPhones.

I know Apple doesn't break down sales by model... but how well do you think the iPhone 5S sold this time last year compared to the 5C and 4S? Was it a similar "old vs new" situation like we have today?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
But I am shocked that more people are choosing the older iPhones rather than the newer models.

I don't think that's ever happened before... has it? I was under the impression that the current model has always handily outsold the older models. Maybe I was wrong.

The data covers a three month period but the new iPhone 6 models were only on sale for one of those months.

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013

33% - iPhone 6
26% - iPhone 5S
16% - iPhone 5C
10% - iPhone 6 Plus

We've heard other reports saying that the iPhone 6 has been outselling the iPhone 6 Plus 3-to-1... so I'm not really shocked by Kantar's findings.

Or is it an availability problem? Maybe there are iPhone 4S users who are ready to upgrade... but only the 5S and 5C are available at the time.

Thoughts?

I'm just curious about the difference between current iPhone models and not-current iPhone models.

I know Apple doesn't break down sales by model... but how well do you think the iPhone 5S sold this time last year compared to the 5C and 4S? Was it a similar "old vs new" situation like we have today?

It's because 5S/5C are more affordable especially for other countries in Asia or South America or Africa.

dndk

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2014

33% - iPhone 6
26% - iPhone 5S
16% - iPhone 5C
10% - iPhone 6 Plus

Thoughts?

I think one of the reasons iPhone 5s still selling well is iPhone 6 doesn't have huge improvements over it.

A8 chip is great but 64-bit happened last year and the difference between A8 and A7 is very little compared to A7 and A6. M8's only difference from M7 is the ability to count floors, so that doesn't do it also.

Apple Pay and NFC are nice improvements but outside of the US it's not very important, even if it was available in my country I don't think Apple Pay would make a notable difference in my life.

Main difference between 5s, 6 and 6 Plus is screen size and therefore resolution. So I think people choosing 5s are simple choosing screen size, because they don't care much about these improvements.

I also think another reason for this is the availability problem. I think 5s will still sell well compared to past years but it won't be like this close to 6 and 6 Plus.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
It's because 5S/5C are more affordable especially for other countries in Asia or South America or Africa.

Right... but has that always been the case?

Have the cheaper iPhones outsold the more expensive current iPhone? That's what I'm wondering.

We've never known the exact mix... but I never imagined the "new" iPhone and the "old" iPhones were so close. Maybe they were, though.

Olly has an explanation above... this Kantar data included two months of sales when the iPhone 6 wasn't even available yet. So of course the 5S and 5C would be higher.

I think I jumped the gun on this topic. We can't get a good picture of the situation until after a full quarter of iPhone 6 availability... and until demand can be met.

I should revisit this topic in a few months. :)

----------

I think one of the reasons iPhone 5s still selling well is iPhone 6 doesn't have huge improvements over it.

A8 chip is great but 64-bit happened last year and the difference between A8 and A7 is very little compared to A7 and A6. M8's only difference from M7 is the ability to count floors, so that doesn't do it also.

Apple Pay and NFC are nice improvements but outside of the US it's not very important, even if it was available in my country I don't think Apple Pay would make a notable difference in my life.

Main difference between 5s, 6 and 6 Plus is screen size and therefore resolution. So I think people choosing 5s are simple choosing screen size, because they don't care much about these improvements.

I also think another reason for this is the availability problem. I think 5s will still sell well compared to past years but it won't be like this close to 6 and 6 Plus.

Very good points... thank you :)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
When did Apple users start caring about specs? The average Apple buyer won't know the difference between 32 and 64 bit. They only know about screen size and if it looks different...that's a major upgrade to them. So, yes, the 5s to 6 is a major upgrade to "average" Apple buyers.

As far as the sales numbers, take into account, the iPhone 6/6+ sales are only for 1 out of the 3 months.

dndk

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2014
When did Apple users start caring about specs? The average Apple buyer won't know the difference between 32 and 64 bit. They only know about screen size and if it looks different...that's a major upgrade to them. So, yes, the 5s to 6 is a major upgrade to "average" Apple buyers.

As far as the sales numbers, take into account, the iPhone 6/6+ sales are only for 1 out of the 3 months.

Exactly, so if they want smaller screen they will just go for it and buy 5s. My point was even if they care about specs they can decide to buy 5s just because of the screen size.

And average buyer or not, screen size is a major upgrade if you care about that. Personally I don't but many customers do care.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

33% - iPhone 6
26% - iPhone 5S
16% - iPhone 5C
10% - iPhone 6 Plus

Thoughts?

Some possible reasons for 5c and 5s:
Lower cost
Higher availability
Size preference
Style preference

Most likely a combination of the above. Plus the 6's had only been on sale for one month during the reporting period. I imagine the next reporting period will paint a different picture.

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX

33% - iPhone 6
26% - iPhone 5S
16% - iPhone 5C
10% - iPhone 6 Plus

[snip]

[snip]

33% + 10% = 43%
26% + 16% = 42%

More people are buying the new phones than are buying the old phones.
The new phones were significantly supply constrained.
As the line-up is announced, people can decide if the older model is right for them.

What I find *more* remarkable is that in just three weeks, Apple's new line-up sells 41% of what was otherwise sold in three months!

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal

Cut the BS.

The reasons are that supply is limited and the new iPhones only account for one month out of 3.

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010

33% - iPhone 6
26% - iPhone 5S
16% - iPhone 5C
10% - iPhone 6 Plus

Thoughts?

It's rather simple. 5S was and is THAT good and many people still prefer compact phones. Hardware-wise, the 6 isn't that much better than the 5S, so you are only left with the size, Apple Pay (which is only relevant in the US as of now), battery life, particularly on the 6 Plus, and that's pretty much it. I was about to buy the 5S myself, but ultimately decided that I no longer need the iPad after buying the MBP, but I still need a device with a good battery life and the capability for at least some on-the-go productivity, so I went with the 6 Plus.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Not anything to have Google worried if so few people converted from Android, but very nice sales numbers regardless.

What do you mean few people converted form android? What sources do you have to support this statement?

----------

It's rather simple. 5S was and is THAT good and many people still prefer compact phones. Hardware-wise, the 6 isn't that much better than the 5S, so you are only left with the size, Apple Pay (which is only relevant in the US as of now), battery life, particularly on the 6 Plus, and that's pretty much it. I was about to buy the 5S myself, but ultimately decided that I no longer need the iPad after buying the MBP, but I still need a device with a good battery life and the capability for at least some on-the-go productivity, so I went with the 6 Plus.

Also...the 5s is cheaper.

I don't think people are turned off by the size, but the with more options available now for the 4s people that are on a 2 year converting cycle, moving to a 5s is a 'bigger' phone and it cost at least $100 less depending on your memory configuration.

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Exactly, so if they want smaller screen they will just go for it and buy 5s. My point was even if they care about specs they can decide to buy 5s just because of the screen size.

And average buyer or not, screen size is a major upgrade if you care about that. Personally I don't but many customers do care.

I definitely feel like I'm in the minority here. I have taken apart all my apple products beginning with the B&W G3 up to my new iMac. I understand specs and that comes in to a big factor upon purchasing.

Now my only issue with the new iphone 6 is the size. Yeah, the standard 6 isn't too big but I'm not watching movies and playing games. I want to be able to carry this in my pocket if I'm not wearing a suit, jacket, etc.

Some colleagues have the 6 plus and it's humorous to watch them carry it around at times. This can be said for the droid version as well.

I guess I just really appreciate technology disappearing in daily life. I'm not completely sold on the new one yet, although, it has great lines and the battery life...

Time will tell. I believe these statistics about apple entering this segment are telling. The next big thing is now here!

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK

I agree.

Its only nerds like us who go on forums like Mac Rumors to discuss the innards:D

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
What will be really interesting is to see what the future upgrade cycles look like. Personally the 5.5" has turned out to be just a little bit too big for me so next time I'm moving down to 4.7". I wonder how many other people are in the same boat?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I bought the 6+ because, though it had few differences from the 6, all of them seemed pretty important to me:

- Screen size. It's perfect. It's still small enough to fit in my pocket, meaning it's literally always with me, but it's big enough to be used for things that previously I would have used an iPad or Mac for. Unless Apple adds some differentiating features to the iPad, I'll probably never buy another one. In fact, I don't even touch my MacBook Air anymore now that I have my 6+. Previously I had thought I might replace my iMac with a MacBook Pro, but now I'm thinking I may replace it with a newer desktop (maybe I'll get a MacPro w/ Retina Display whenever Apple releases one of those...)

- Battery life. One day battery life is pretty perfect. So for the first year of owning my prior iPhones, that was great. For the second year, I had to keep an eye on it and use it less than I would have otherwise. For the third, I inevitably needed to plug in part way through the day at some point. I have absolutely no need for two day battery life, but I anticipate the battery will degrade over time, and I'm hoping that in two or three years, the battery will still be lasting a full day.

- Improved camera. Nice. We're not at the point where cameras are perfect yet (that's probably 2-3 decades away), so as long as they keep improving them, that keeps being a selling point to me.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
What do you mean few people converted form android? What sources do you have to support this statement?

I read the article:
"Of all iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus buyers, 85% of those surveyed were repeat iOS device buyers while 9% said they switched from Android."

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
I've mentioned this in related threads because it's pretty interesting.

Even though it's not easy for them to use the 6+ because of the phone size and because many of them have crazy long designer nails, here in Japan the girls no matter how tiny they are LOVE the 6+. And it's all because of Instagram, FaceBook and those photo decoration apps.

I haven't seen one girl with a black iPhone 6 or 6+. It's mostly gold and sometimes silver. Many guys with silver 6+ and some black.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
The article should clearly state that this is about the United States market only, otherwise it is very misleading. iPhone's market share in the US has always been near to 50%, while globally it's less than 15%. So, iPhone 6+ getting a 41% share on the larger smartphone market is a VERY NATURAL result when restricted to the US market, but would be a piece of VERY DISRUPTIVE, EARTH SHATTERING news when applied to the global market.

Sangoma

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2012
If I wanted an over-sized phone, I would take the 6+. Beyond that the 5s is already getting big. I'd likely take a 6 for the Apple Pay feature, if I really wanted it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.