Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of its new Un-carrier 8.0 announcement, T-Mobile today unveiled its new "Data Stash" program that allows consumers to roll over their monthly unused data. At the end of the month, consumers will be able to store their unused data without limit for the next 12 months.

t-mobile_usa_logo.jpg
"Can you imagine your gas station siphoning unused gas from your car each month? The US wireless industry is even worse," said John Legere, president and CEO for T-Mobile. "Americans have been gamed by the carriers into buying huge data plans - all to avoid getting screwed with overage penalties. Only to find out they bought more than they need which is then confiscated by the carrier. For the consumer it's lose, lose."

"That data is rightfully yours," added Legere. "And, we're putting an end to this appalling industry practice today. With Data Stash, when you buy additional high-speed data, there's no need to lose what you don't use."
To kick start the program, T-Mobile will provide 10GB of free 4G LTE data to customers as a starting stash. This free 10GB data stash is not shared, but will be allotted to each line in a family or business plan. The new Data Stash program will be available starting in January 2015 and will be applied to every individual, family and business plan automatically.

Article Link: T-Mobile Unveils New 'Data Stash' Program That Allows Unused Data to Roll Over Each Month

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Decent concept. I still use my legacy AT&T "rollover" minutes plan. Hopefully the other carriers follow suit. We've come 180 degrees. It used to be carriers gave us unlimited data and charged us for minutes and text by usage. Now they give us unlimited minutes and text, and charge us for data by usage.

dbc34

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Wasn't it Aerial, who was bought by VoiceStream and merged with TMobile that did the carryover for minutes used back in the day. Or maybe they were the "true per second billing" which allowed you to use waaay more minutes each month.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Love it. I wish the others would do it. I loved having rollover minutes with AT&T way back. Never worried about overage. Data should be the same.

Somehow, I get the feeling that this plan will change with time. They'll cap the max stash or have data expire after a year or something.

pbasmadj

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
San Francisco, California
Great! I love the pressure Tmobile puts on the industry!

Agreed. This CEO is on the exotic side but I like his style. Verizon and AT&T are just theiving and he is calling it out and coming in strong. If they can make their network as big as Verizon or AT&T and posing threats to them, it will be good for everyone.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
T-Mobile Unveils New 'Data Stash' Program That Allows Unused Data to Rollover...

This is legit. Verizon and AT&T will need to respond to this somehow.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I've been waiting for this to happen with data. No surprise its T-Mobile to implement it first. Again, I wish they had a stronger network in my area.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
It's nice to see T-Mobile USA pushing so many different ideas - really shaking things up in the rather uncompetitive US telecoms market, but I'm not sure that this makes sense.

If anything, it just weakens the arguments for having metered internet connections.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
The T-mobile site is confusing. I'm not sure this lets customers "roll over their monthly unused data". It sounds like it rolls over extra data, as in, when you're approaching your limit one month and pay an extra $10 for 1GB of data (or whatever), that 1GB data will remain in a bank. Your monthly data does not?

tgenius

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
My only real gripe with this is that you have to purchase the additional data for it to work; If you are on the default 1GB (which is currently 2.5 for the promo period) it won't rollover, however I do believe even those plans get the 10GB bucket per line

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
Unfortunately, T-Mobile has the spottiest service of all the major carriers. If they can build their 4G system out so they have more and better coverage, they will be able to put real pressure on the big 2. As it sits, half the places I use service, T-Mobile gets zero bars.

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
Yeah - This will last. Kind of like the 20K in rollover minutes I had with Cingular when ATT bought them that suddenly went away.

Whats T-Mobile going to do when someone has accrued a Terabyte of Unused data and then tries to actually use it?

lemieuxfan67

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
My only real gripe with this is that you have to purchase the additional data for it to work; If you are on the default 1GB (which is currently 2.5 for the promo period) it won't rollover, however I do believe even those plans get the 10GB bucket per line

Nope, you have to be on a 3GB LTE plan or higher to be eligible.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Wow this is pretty amazing. I never thought I'd see one of the carriers offer this. Wonder if I should even keep my unlimited data plan now.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Even though they don't have great coverage in my neck of the woods, T-Mobile is shaking up the industry. I love it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
With Data Stash, when you buy additional high-speed data, there's no need to lose what you don't use."

So what does he mean by "buy additional data"? Does this mean the only roll over is unused data you purchased above and beyond your data plan?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Yeah - This will last. Kind of like the 20K in rollover minutes I had with Cingular when ATT bought them that suddenly went away.

Whats T-Mobile going to do when someone has accrued a Terabyte of Unused data and then tries to actually use it?

It resets every 12 months so at the most a 3GB plan could accrue 36GB and a 5GB plan could accrue 60GB theoretically with no data usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.