Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of any major product release, we often see part leaks and case molds, which give us hints on the sizing, features, and design of the forthcoming product, and the "iPad Pro" is no exception. We've previously seen what's said to be an iPad Pro dummy model for Apple's upcoming large-screened tablet, and today, French site Nowhereelse.fr [Google Translate] has shared an image of a case that may be designed for the device.

According to the site, the image of the case originated from a reliable source that the site has been in contact with "for many years." Though the case in the photo is not depicted next to an object to provide a size reference, it is clearly quite large and could fit a tablet in the range of 12.2 to 12.9 inches.

ipadprocaseimage.jpg
The case appears to have two speaker cutouts at both the top and bottom, which would accommodate the stereo speakers that have been rumored for the device. There are also cutouts for a headphone jack at the top left of the case, volume buttons at the right, a camera cutout at the back, a Lightning port cutout at the bottom, and a power button cutout on the top right, all of which is in line with previous iPad Air and iPad mini designs.

The one unknown is a cutout on the left side of the case, which could possibly be for a SIM tray, suggesting that this is a case for a Cellular iPad Pro. Previous design drawings have not suggested that there's another port in that particular location.

Because case makers often create molds based on leaked design specs and information that may not be accurate in an effort to be the first to come out with accessories for a new product, some of the design elements could be slightly off. There have certainly been a few misses over the years when it comes to case designs, mainly when rumors of a tapered iPhone were circulating, but for the most part, case leaks have been highly accurate.

The "iPad Pro," as it has been named by the media, is rumored to include a 12.2 to 12.9 inch screen, an A8X or A9 processor, and a design that is similar in style to the iPad Air or iPad mini, with a thin body and a high-resolution screen. Recent rumors have suggested that it could be the first Apple tablet to ship with an included stylus due to its size.

A launch date for Apple's larger iPad remains unclear, but rumors have suggested that it could be released in the second or third quarter of the year.

Article Link: Possible Third-Party 'iPad Pro' Case Shown in New Photo

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Unknown cutout could possibly be for integrated stylus storage?

Last edited:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
At first I thought, that's smaller than my iPhone 6!

But then I enlarged the image, and wow, that iPad is bigger than my 24" display!

I remember past years' early case leaks offering a big SIM hole even if you might not really need to change SIMs quickly on a frequent basis.

I'd LOVE to have a 12" iPad... but I love my 10" size more. A big size would be a minority product, right only for SOME people, and there's nothing wrong with that. A mature product should gain options. Stylus too (key word being "option"--whether it's bundled or extra, you're not required to use it, which as Jobs said, would be wrong).

bersurker

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2013
What I see is new cutouts on top and bottom for 4 speakers, a repositioned Sleep/Wake button on the left side and on the top right, thats the new slot for the rumored Stylus.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
What I see is new cutouts on top and bottom for 4 speakers, a repositioned Sleep/Wake button on the left side and on the top right, thats the new slot for the rumored Stylus.

A stylus that will slide behind the camera? I dunno about that. Power button seems more likely

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Having a stylus because of the large size is irrelevant. As a matter of fact, because of its large size you should be able to use your finger even better than the smaller iPads.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Oh my god, I get it now
It's for linking it to a keyboard

...BOOM 12-inch MBA!

Doubtful if both this and the 12" screen leaks are accurate. The 12" screen lacked a back facing cam, volume buttons, etc, etc.

I was really hoping for a hybrid device, but the possibility of a physical keybard still seems like an option.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I'm predicting that this will be a laptop/tablet hybrid, so expect a small keyboard surrounding the screen, which contains the keys Q-P and most of the home row.

sbbJVek.png

This is the future, and there is no way to stop it.

Last edited:

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
There have been rumors of an iPad with 2 30-pin/lightning ports for years. This has been in the works for a long time. I believe this is the new 12-inch portable. Not an MBA, but rather a new product line that combines a larger screen iPad, detachable keyboard, and multi-window iOS functionality.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
iPad pro with stylus … the end is near, repent

Is Apple really copying Samsung with that stylus? What is Jony going to say about the Stylus? This is just so surreal.

We Apple users hate styluses

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.