Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applewatch2-250x296.jpg
Apple appears to be asking some high profile app developers and partners to have their Apple Watch-compatible iPhone apps prepared and ready to launch in the App Store in mid-February. According to a source that spoke to MacRumors, Apple has asked one of its biggest Apple Pay partners to prepare an iOS application with WatchKit support that's ready to launch in the App Store by February 12.

It is unclear if Apple is asking the same of other developers, but it is possible the company is hoping to test some third-party Apple Watch apps with employees ahead of the device's launch to get a better feel for battery life when using non-Apple apps. As we detailed earlier today, thousands of Apple employees in the Cupertino area are wearing and testing the device on a daily basis to work out final kinks ahead of an April launch.

It's also possible that Apple could use this high-profile partner's app in an upcoming demonstration or launch event to show off how Apple Pay works on the Apple Watch. Apple Pay will be a key function of the Apple Watch, letting users authorize credit card payments right from their wrists. As has been outlined in the past, the Apple Watch will authenticate payments biometrically, requiring a passcode when the device is first placed on a wrist and again if it loses skin contact.

Apple CEO Tim Cook said earlier this week that Apple Watch development is on track and that the device will launch at some point in April. Pricing for the Apple Watch is largely unknown, but will start at $349 for the least expensive option.

Article Link: Apple Asking Some Developers to Have Apple Watch Apps Ready by Mid-February

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This is why they announced the thing so darned early. They know that they need to really explain what it's for before it launches so much more than they have had to for past products.

iGraham4

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2010
Doesn't make sense! Apple watch can only authenticate Pay in brick and mortar stores not in app. Why would they want one of their partners to have watchkit in their apps?

Gildarts

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2014
I predict late Feb software update, March pe-orders and Late April deliveries in any quantity.

Wait for v2.0 if you have no idea why you need one, but buy an iPhone 6S, no matter what.

I'm not buying any iPhone until they have sapphire displays.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I predict late Feb software update GM, March pe-orders and Late April deliveries in any quantity.

Wait for v2.0 if you have no idea why you need one, but buy an iPhone 6S, no matter what.

May I ask why it is so imperative to buy a new iPhone? I'm sure my current one will be working fine come September.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Sounds to me like Apple wants to showcase a few Apple Watch apps in realtime for a potential event in February.

;)

More like Apple wants to have real apps running on the watch so they can film better commercials. If the watch launches in mid-April, that will give Apple's ad agency (or in-house marketing group) two months. Plenty of time.

Not sure that Apple really needs to do another Apple Watch event.
Another pre-launch event will only lessen the impact of the actual launch.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY

vinced45

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2015
Chicago
I think (and hope) there are a lot of us out there.. I think the general public will be surprised at what uses the watch will have.

I believe that there will be a ton of uses that we didn't event think of. I saw some vey interesting things at a hackathon I went to for Watchkit.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Mark it down. Feb 17 Apple event with Beats Music integration into iTunes and the iWatch launch event. (Preorders starting in 2 weeks.)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
And I'm going full bore on a Watch extension for my NewsBrain app that will let you see (or listen to) the news article most interesting to you at the moment.

I think (and hope) there are a lot of us out there.. I think the general public will be surprised at what uses the watch will have.

Right now, it is hard for me to imagine wanting to spend a lot of time staring at a watch for info when my iphone (at the least) is readily available. But I am nonetheless excited to see what clever devs will come up with, and would be happy to be proved wrong.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
May I ask why it is so imperative to buy a new [6S] iPhone? I'm sure my current one will be working fine come September.
The future ecosystem will rely on features and hardware deployed on the 6S. Healthkit, watch, homekit, carplay, whatever. Admittedly the 6S is a V1.0 for all that, but then I am talking to owners of 4, 4S like me, 5, 5C.

Just Rocketman

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Right now, it is hard for me to imagine wanting to spend a lot of time staring at a watch for info when my iphone (at the least) is readily available. But I am nonetheless excited to see what clever devs will come up with, and would be happy to be proved wrong.

I don't imagine spending a lot of time staring at the watch. I imagine quick glimpses whenever I get an alert, or need to check for the next junction when walking guided by satnav. A lot easier than digging my phone out of a pocket.

An Apple Watch will be useful, but I don't think it worth the price just yet. It will take a few more sensors and a lot more apps before the potential is more fully explored. Plus this is one Apple product that really would benefit from being thinner.

It will be a product generation or 2 before I will be thinking about getting one. I got my first iPhone with the second iteration at the 3G launch. I wonder if the Watch will make such quick progress?

princered

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2014
Georgia
Mixed Feelings

I have mixed feelings about the :apple:Watch. I am excited about the product, and I want to have faith that Apple will make it satisfying. I don't care if it's not a superior product in it's first generation. As long as it has that :apple: feel to it and works fine. I'm glad the release is pushed back further, so hopefully they get everything right. iOS 8 has been a very bad :apple: for me. I became an Apple fan because things "just worked". I continue to fork over my money bc of the same reason. Let's get back on track Apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.