Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may be planning to hold a special event during the month of February, according to French Apple-focused website iGen [Google Translate] (via iDownloadBlog). The site's sources, which are often reliable, suggest that the event might take place during the last week of February, potentially on Tuesday, February 24.

The event may see Apple once again showcasing the Apple Watch, which is set to debut in April, and it may also see the launch of the 12-inch MacBook Air. KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo recently predicted that the upcoming notebook will debut in March, which is in line with a late-February unveiling.

12_macbook_air_gold_rendering-800x601.jpg
Rendering of the 12-inch MacBook Air by Martin Hajek​
Apple's 12-inch MacBook Air is rumored to feature a new ultrathin design that does away with fans and introduces a revamped trackpad. It may include a low-power Core-M processor and it may be the first device to take advantage of the new reversible USB Type-C connector, which is much smaller and allows a USB cable to be inserted into a notebook in any orientation.

Apple may also use the event to unveil additional details on the Apple Watch, such as pricing and battery life. An event showing off the Apple Watch could explain why Apple has been asking some developers to have their apps ready to launch in the App Store in mid-February, as we reported last week. It's possible that Apple will use apps from these developers to demonstrate additional capabilities of the watch.

Though rumored, a February event is by no means confirmed at this point, and it is unclear what else Apple might cover in addition to the Apple Watch and the 12-inch MacBook Air.

Update 12:23 PM: Sources speaking to 9to5Mac have indicated Apple will not be holding a late February media event.

Article Link: Apple Media Event Rumored for Late February, Apple Watch and 12" MacBook Air Likely Topics [Updated]

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Uncharacteristic of the latest Apple, but I liked having events throughout the year vs having them all crammed into the few months before the Christmas shopping season.

Edit: I'd be overjoyed if they'd announce new Thunderbolt Displays to go with those new MacBook Airs! Come one Apple!

Last edited:

viorelgn

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Romania
Rumors of the fan-less model surfaced as early as March of last year. Apple's decision to drop a cooling fan relies on its confidence in Intel's Broadwell Core M processor, which the chipmaker claims to be the most energy-efficient Core processor in the company's history.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
iPod touch! iPod touch! iPod touch!

Please update it, Apple. :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Let's wait for Jim's "Yep" to see if this is real.

Does Jim ever "yep" stuff? Seems more like "nope" or just silence rather than "yep". If true though I find it interesting they decided to have an event before MWC rather than after.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
Watch reveal date at the end of Feb for March pre-orders and late March to April deliveries sounds about right.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Uncharacteristic of the latest Apple, but I liked having events throughout the year vs having them all crammed into the few months before the Christmas shopping season.

Ditto...It seems spreading products throughout the years resulted in fewer significant bugs too. Also, it doesn't make too much sense to cram iPhone/iPad/iOS/OS X into a Sept/Oct timeframe either; I get they are all intertwined but it feels like products are rushed rather than perfected.

justinthesommer

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2014
United States
Called it!

I have been calling this for some time now! And wait... isn't a certain Apple founder's birthday on February 24th! Definitely going to happen.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I hope it's true and they do release a 12" retina MacBook Air, altho I wonder if it will cost the same as the MacBook Pro retina because of the retina screen. Surely they couldn't keep the same price point that the Macbook Airs are currently.

Mikkis

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2010
Sizewise

I hope they would do what Dell did with xps 13. Ditch the bezels and keep 13" display size.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I am not interested in the watch yet, but if we get other products like the ipad, mac air, beat service, ATV, then this could be really exciting.

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
With just spec boots, I can't imagine Apple hardware department has been only working on the Apple Watch the past 4 years. Hmmm.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
Yess!!!

I am so excited for ant Apple Event.

But I have been so excited for this new MacBook Air for over a year now!!

Cannot wait! Core M is the ideal product category for me.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Apple TV?????

I want to be excited, but I also don't want to be disappointed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.