Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Typo Products, a company that developed a BlackBerry-esque keyboard case for the iPhone, must pay BlackBerry $860,000 for continuing to sell its Typo case despite being ordered to cease sales in March.

The Typo keyboard was first announced in December of 2013 and was backed by media personality Ryan Seacrest (of American Idol fame). Seacrest reportedly invested $1 million into the product, which was the result of a desire to introduce a physical keyboard for the iPhone.

According to Seacrest and his partner Lauren Hallier, they saw many of their friends carrying two phones -- one for typing and correspondence, presumably a Blackberry, and an iPhone for everything else. The keyboard that the duo developed, which snapped onto an iPhone, bore a marked resemblance to BlackBerry's signature keyboards, a fact that did not go unnoticed by the company.

typoblackberry.jpg
Original Typo iPhone case next to the BlackBerry Q10​
Just a month after the Typo keyboard was announced, BlackBerry filed a lawsuit accusing Typo Products of "blatantly" copying the BlackBerry keyboard and infringing on BlackBerry patents. A judge agreed with BlackBerry, handing down the aforementioned injunction that banned the Typo from selling its keyboards, despite Typo's argument that it was not harming BlackBerry as BlackBerry was already losing market share.

Typo ignored the injunction and continued selling its Typo keyboard cases, leading BlackBerry to file a contempt of court order in August, which resulted in today's $860,000 fine. BlackBerry had initially asked for $2.6 million in penalties, plus attorneys' fees for the violation.

In addition to continuing to sell the original keyboard case, Typo Products introduced the Typo2 keyboard for the iPhone 6 in December of 2014, which it says does not infringe on any BlackBerry patents. Typo2 features a sleeker design with a built-in keyboard that unfortunately blocks the Touch ID fingerprint sensor on the iPhone 6. Typo's website currently sells Typo2 keyboards for both the iPhone 5/5s and the iPhone 6.

typoiphone6.jpg
Typo2 for iPhone 6​
In response to the fine levied against it, a Typo representative told Re/code that the ruling is "part of the ongoing patent litigation related to the initial Typo product" and that it "has no impact on the Typo 2." A BlackBerry representative only had this to say: "The court's order speaks for itself."

Article Link: iPhone Keyboard Maker 'Typo' Ordered to Pay BlackBerry $860,000

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
As if the iPhone needed a reason to get any taller.

Am I the only one who can type faster on a virtual keyboard than those tiny plastic phone keyboards of a bygone era? On my iPad a larger physical keyboard is faster, but on an iPhone the virtual one is better than this. Use a real computer if you need to write a novel.

Reactions: HowardLive

danr_97070

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2004
Earth
Keyboard for dim wits?

As if the iPhone needed a reason to get any taller.

Am I the only one who can type faster on a virtual keyboard than those tiny plastic phone keyboards of a bygone era? On my iPad a larger physical keyboard is faster, but on an iPhone the virtual one is better than this. Use a real computer if you need to write a novel.

The keyboard is probably fashionable with Paris Hilton wannabe's with long
finger nails...

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
BBRY stock up 5% on expectation that it will be their best quarterly earnings since 2007 on the back of the $840K windfall from Typo.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011

You're not the only person who feels this way.

I liken this to people who like reading physical books despite having the ability to carry the same book around with them on their smartphone or tablet. It's not so much the functionality but holding something tangible in their hands. So for some people, they need physical keys not because it seems to function better than a virtual keyboard but because they have something they can actually feel.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Really, I can definitely see how the original infringes on Blackberry's patents, but I would think this company could have just come in and bout Blackberry for about the price of the fines.

That being said now that the iPhone allows third party keyboards, I don't see that this will be a necessary accessory with ones like Swype available out there.

surfingarbo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Typo CEO, Laurence Hallier, will probably have to pay the fine using cash, as his keyboard blocks Touch ID / Apple Pay capabilities.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You've gotta admire a company that names their sole product a word that literally means "mistake."

I also love someone who, when accused of hurting someone, decides to argue that it's ok because they're alreay dying anyway.

• Haha

gimikinc

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
Bay Area
Original way to make money

Guess this will be their new revenue stream - sue for apple not making imessage available on all platforms and copyright.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
- The suit has clear merit. The Typo 2 redesign is the right result.

- They lost the suit, as they should... but kept selling the infringing Typo 1 design anyway??

- BB is in the right here, regardless of whether they're thriving or not otherwise.

- There's room for physical iOS keyboard accessories to serve a niche in the market. I'm not sure this (v 1 or 2) is the answer, though.

- Nice product name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.