Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new spaceship-shaped Apple Campus 2 is under construction, and the company gave KQED News a tour of the site, providing them with new details and a ground-based look at its progress.

As previously revealed, the building has an environmentally-conscious design, with features like using recycled water to flush toilets and solar arrays to power its functions. Keeping with this theme, the building also uses recycled parts from older buildings.

RS14230_apple1-scr1.jpg
Photo of Apple Campus 2 main office, via KQED News.​
"What Apple inherited on the property was several older buildings, all of which were broken down and deconstructed," says KQED Science reporter Amy Standen, who got a tour of the site. "Much of the material from those old buildings was recycled into new building material to make the new campus, according to Apple."
Previously, most of the looks at the progress of Campus 2 have been taken from drones in the air. However, these new ground-based photos offer a new perspective on the building's height and scale.  The above photo offers a look at the framework of the main building, allowing one to gauge how tall the building could be.

Progress on what KQED identifies as Apple's new amphitheater, below, can also be seen, though it's difficult to visually tell how large the amphitheater will be. Apple will likely use this space for its town hall meetings.

RS14235_apple6-scr.jpg
Photo of Apple's new amphitheater, via KQED News.​
The latest air-based update on the construction came from YouTube user myithz just over a week ago. However, it's fairly difficult to locate some of the locations in KQED's photos in the video, potentially signaling that a good amount of progress has been made since it was recorded.

Though construction has steadily continued through the last half of 2014 and into 2015, Apple's Campus 2 obviously has a long way to go until completion. Other than the main circular structure, main theater, fitness center and parking garages, Apple submitted plans for new offices, testing facilities and more parking garages in October for the second phase of construction. The complete campus is expected to be finished by the end of 2016.

Additional photos and information can be seen on KQED News' website.

Article Link: Sneak Peek at Apple Campus 2 Offers New Look at Construction Progress

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
There is this engineering software that after you build our building in 3D, it will tell you how long it will take to build it. I mean, it knows how long takes to build each floor, the quantity of tools you need, the men you need IF you wanted finished by certain date and under certain budged. And entire project management tool.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I'm getting a vaguely Millennium Falcon-ish vibe from this. Wait—Apple and Disney are tight due to the latter's Pixar acquisition, and Disney now owns the rights to Star Wars…

Last edited:

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Ugh it will be nice when the construction is completed. They have had lanes closed off through that area for so long.

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Someone should take a 3D underground scan to reveal the giant rocket propellers underneath. :rolleyes:

viorelgn

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Romania
That campus is going to cost more than the Burj Khalifa skyscraper and it’s only going to be a couple of stories tall.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Guys, it's just an construction side. :rolleyes:
99% of us will never get access to it once it is finish.

Construction site.

And you do realize that you can drive right onto Apple's current campus right now? You can walk into the employee campus store, and right into the front door of the main building. Just sayin'

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
Is there another definition of amphitheatre besides the open air venue kind? Apple surely isn't going to have its presentations outdoors.
Yeah well in the construction plans it says auditorium. Dont know why the article have choosen to call it an amphitheatre :S

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
ok, Shazam couldn't get the song title on the Youtube clip so I'll make a completely uninformed guess...

French New Age composer Jean Michael Jarre ?

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
ok, Shazam couldn't get the song title on the Youtube clip so I'll make a completely uninformed guess...

French New Age composer Jean Michael Jarre ?
Why dont you take a look in the description of that youtube video, would save you alot of hassle :D (Purple Planet Music - Slammin MP3)

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Never have I been less interested in a construction project. No public access, who cares. :rolleyes:

naujoks

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
London, UK
It's massive.
And they need all this, in addition to the already existing offices, to bring out an updated iPhone once every two years?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I read the previous comments and it made me wonder if Apple will give tours of the building at some point. I imagine that it will to the press before it moves employees in, but if it does to the general public at any point, I may be motivated to fly out to california.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I love how it's called "spaceship shaped". I'd expect that to be a building in the shape of a space shuttle, or a Soyuz capsule. Or maybe a Battlestar, if you wanna get fictional. Well, I guess it does look a bit like an (old) Cylon basestar.. if it had a REALLY heavy landing.

Jason83

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
PA, USA
I read the previous comments and it made me wonder if Apple will give tours of the building at some point. I imagine that it will to the press before it moves employees in, but if it does to the general public at any point, I may be motivated to fly out to california.

If I remember correctly Steve wanted to give tours and have architecture students study it but sometime after his death that seems to have changed unfortunately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.