Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has launched a repair program to fix MacBook Pro machines sold between February 2011 and February 2013 that have problems with distorted video, no video, or unexpected system restarts.

As of February 20 in the United States and Canada (February 27 in other countries), users with affected machines will be able to visit an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to receive repairs for their MacBook Pros at no charge. Customers will be able to bring their MacBook Pro to an Apple Store or service provider or send it in via mail for repairs.

macbook_pro_video_repair.jpg
An affected MacBook Pro may display one or more of the following symptoms:
-Distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen
-No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on
-Computer restarts unexpectedly
Affected products include 15 and 17-inch MacBook Pro models manufactured in 2011 and 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro models manufactured between Mid 2012 and Early 2013. Users can see whether their computers are affected by using the "Check Your Coverage" tool on Apple's site.

Apple is contacting customers who already paid to have their machines repaired either through Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to arrange a reimbursement. The company asks customers who paid for a repair for the issue and did not receive an email to contact Apple.

Apple will provide repairs until February 27, 2016, or three years from the MacBook's original date of sale, depending on which coverage period is longer.

Some early and late-2011 MacBook Pro owners with discrete graphics cards have been experiencing GPU failures and crashes for years now, causing screen glitches and image distortion, among other problems.

MacBook owners petitioned Apple to begin a repair program for the machines on change.org and even went as far as filing a class action lawsuit after an extended period of time without a repair program.

macbook_pro_2011_graphics_issue.jpg

The lawsuit asked that Apple acknowledge that an issue exists and repair affected machines, which the company appears to be prepared to do with the launch of today's repair program covering both repairs and reimbursements for repairs already made. It is unclear how the new program will affect the class-action lawsuit brought against Apple by 2011 MacBook Pro owners.

(Thanks, Philip!)

Article Link: Apple Initiates Repair Program for 2011-2013 MacBook Pros With Video Issues

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
A little late Apple, my 2011 MBP failed about 8 months ago.

Still, better late than never. At least they're acknowledging it.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Once again Apple demonstrates why they are the leader of the pack when it comes to taking care of their customers. This is why we love Apple. This is what the Sony's of the world just don't get selling high-end devices but providing lousy support and aftercare.

Reactions: ksuyen

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
This is exactly what caused Apple to replace my 2012 retina 6 months ago. After multiple repairs and logic board replacements, they just replaced it (under Applecare).

I'd get random reboots with graphics related logs, and sometimes after waking from sleep I'd have no display, even though the computer was clearly on (I could SSH in, but couldn't see anything!).

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
This is nice and all, but they unless something has changed, they are replacing the faulty part with another faulty part. All this is doing is saving you the cost of replacing it yourself.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Once again Apple demonstrates why they are the leader of the pack when it comes to tacking care of their customers. This is why we love Apple. This is what the Sony's of the world just don't get selling high-end devices but providing lousy support and aftercare.

Umm, not a leader. A leader would have acknowledged the problem when the problem started to occur. They've waited too long and I assume many people have already ditched their failed systems and purchased new ones.

And, if all they're doing is replacing the logic board, that won't fix the problem. My fixed logic board died after three weeks or so.

Reactions: AleXXXa

danielsamuels

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
Once again Apple demonstrates why they are the leader of the pack when it comes to taking care of their customers. This is why we love Apple. This is what the Sony's of the world just don't get selling high-end devices but providing lousy support and aftercare.

Not at all. We've had 4-5 MBPs come down with this issue, it's cost us ~£600 every time. Think we'll see any of that back? Not a chance. They've denied it's been their problem for years. Where was the world class service then?

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014
So will Apple cover my $1,200 repair bill to get my late 2011 Mac Book Pro 17" fixed? And why only in Canada and the US? There's more to the world than two countries!

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
Sounds like the ACTUAL REPAIR DATA THAT YOU DON'T HAVE has now facilitated this as a need and not as a want.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Once again Apple demonstrates why they are the leader of the pack when it comes to taking care of their customers.

Are you delusional? They denied it for years and only just now did it after being hit with multiple class action lawsuits. That's not first class service, it's a move to avoid getting a huge settlement thrown at them in court.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I'm in Australia and got a late 2011 MBP 15" with some issues.
- Screen has gone weird a few times, resolved with a forced restart.
- Track pad has become erratic and unusable, switched to a Magic Mouse (set to turn off built in track pad when connected) for a week and it seems to be better now.

Will be contacting Apple next week to see if we are covered.

gate5blues

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
Yeeeeesssss!! Woooooooo!

Wicked! It looks like they are contacting customers that have already paid for repairs or you can contact them.. all at the bottom of that link.

Thank you Apple... for acknowledging the obvious.

:)

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
Are you delusional? They denied it for years and only just now did it after being hit with multiple class action lawsuits. And they aren't covering the cost for people who've already spent the money, in many cases repeatedly. That's not first class service, it's a move to avoid getting a huge settlement thrown at them in court.

How did Apple deny anything? Do you have access to AppleCare repair numbers and failure rates?

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
My MBP sometimes presents these issues, but by entering my serial number in the Check Your Coverage link results in no messages.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto

I sense sarcasm.... (Doesn't necessarily mean that there is any :) )

Fortimir

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
My MBP sometimes presents these issues, but by entering my serial number in the Check Your Coverage links results in no messages.

Same here. And I do get the occasional video playback issue or totally blank screen on wake up even though the computer is on... and sometimes random restarts. Nothing debilitating, but I'd like it fixed.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
€409 COME TO PAPA!

Additional Information
Apple is contacting customers who paid for a repair either though Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to arrange reimbursement. If you have not been contacted, but paid for a repair that you think was due to this issue, please contact Apple.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
How did Apple deny anything? Do you have access to AppleCare repair numbers and failure rates?

The issues have persisted long after AC expired. The logic board of a $1800+ machine shouldn't fail that soon or in that great of numbers.

It was so bad a class action lawsuit was attempted.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
They issues have persisted long after AC expired. The logic board of a $1800+ machine shouldn't fail that soon or in that great of numbers.

It was so bad a class action lawsuit was attempted.

Once again, do you have the actual numbers?

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Thank baby jesus.

My 2012 Retina includes:
Wobbly Screen
Dead Pixels galore
Graphic Issues
Random Freezing
Random Restarting

They offered awhile back to repair it under AppleCare but they said it'll take up to two weeks. Sadly I use my computer for work and don't know who to get to a solution where I can get this fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.