Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the announcement of the brand new line of MacBooks, Apple today revealed a slight update to its MacBook Air and 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro lines.

f1425923626-800x357.jpg

Both the 11" and 13" MacBook Air models will be upgraded to 5th generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors, Thunderbolt 2, and Intel HD Graphics 6000.
Today the popular 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display, 11-inch MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Air all received significant upgrades,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “The 13-inch MacBook Pro has been updated with the latest processors, more powerful graphics, faster flash, longer battery life and the all-new Force Touch trackpad. We’re also bringing the latest processors and graphics, and faster Thunderbolt 2 to the 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Air, as well as up to two times faster flash to the 13-inch MacBook Air.”
The 13" MacBook Pro will receive the brand new Force Touch trackpad introduced on the new MacBook today at the Spring Forward event. Other new additions to the Pro lineup include: 5th-gen Core i5 and i7 processors with Turbo Boost Speeds up to 3.4 GHz, 2x faster flash, "faster integrated" Intel Iris Graphics 6100, and an improved 10-hour battery life. There was no mention of an update to the 15" MacBook Pro line at today's event.

The updated MacBook Air and MacBook Pro lines can be purchased starting today on Apple's online store, Apple's retail stores, and various Apple authorized retailers.

Follow the rest of our March 2015 event coverage for the latest Apple Watch information.

Article Link: MacBook Air and 13" Retina MacBook Pro Updated to Improve Speed and Battery Life

Last edited:

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
Too bad I just bought a new retina macbook pro eight days ago. Kind of glad I didn't get the force touch trackpad though. Sounded kind of weird to me.

d0minick

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
They dont update the trackpad in the air. What a joke. Was gonna buy it today!!!!

While that new macbook looks great. Its underpowered at its price and gonna take 100$ or more worth of dongles to be functional.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Too bad I just bought a new retina macbook pro eight days ago. Kind of glad I didn't get the force touch trackpad though. Sounded kind of weird to me.

Dude you would be a fool not to return it assuming you bought the 13" pro. The spec bump alone is worth it. Also just like anything it takes some adjustment but force touch is the future for apple. Every mac will have it and I have a feeling iPad and iPhone too.

skaeroastro

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2014
bot lane
RIP 15" rMBP. If Apple actually updates the 15", I don't expect discrete graphics to be an option since they are ALL OVER miniaturization....

But I do get that there are no quad-core Broadwell chips for the 15" yet. Still, I feel like Apple's very slowly leaving their pro lineup (starting with the 17") for dead.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
Dude you would be a fool not to return it assuming you bought the 13" pro. The spec bump alone is worth it. Also just like anything it takes some adjustment but force touch is the future for apple. Every mac will have it and I have a feeling iPad and iPhone too.
I did buy the 13" pro. Is it even possible to just return it? Wasn't even aware of that.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Stop bitching. The 15" wasn't upgraded because Intel didn't release any suitable CPUs.

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I did buy the 13" pro. Is it even possible to just return it? Wasn't even aware of that.

Every Mac comes with a 14 day return policy. I would definitely return it, between the faster storage and longer battery life you'll definitely regret it if you don't.

ManNBlack

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2015
Wait For A Full Update?

I get the feeling both the 13" and 15" MacBook Pros are going to get a FULL update by the end of the year. Kinda like they did with the iPad 3 and 4.

I might consider the 12" but that single port worries me. How do you charge AND work with a peripheral when required? Why not add one more port? Hmmm...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.