Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-Watch-MagSafe-Inductive-Charger-250x280.jpg
Apple has outlined specific information about Apple Watch battery life on its website, claiming that the wrist-worn device gets all-day battery life of 18 hours on a single charge based on mixed usage, and up to 72 hours in Power Reserve mode. The battery testing was conducted in March using a preproduction Apple Watch paired with an iPhone running preproduction software.

Apple claims that the Apple Watch has battery life of up to 3 hours for talk time, 6.5 hours for audio playback over Bluetooth, up to 7 hours during a workout session with the heart rate sensor on and up to 48 hours for timekeeping. Apple Watch charging times are listed as about 1.5 hours from 0% to 80% and 2.5 hours from 0% to 100% using the included MagSafe inductive charger.

Apple's claim of all-day battery life is based on using the Apple Watch for 90 time checks, 90 notifications, 45 minutes of app use, and a 30-minute workout with music playback via Bluetooth over the course of 18 hours. Apple used a 38mm Apple Watch for testing and claims that the 42mm will generally experience longer battery life. Additional magnetic chargers are available on Apple's bands and accessories page, costing $29 for a 1-meter cable and $39 for a 2-meter cable.

Article Link: Apple Watch Battery Life: 18 Hours Mixed Usage, Up to 72 Hours on Power Reserve

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
That's much better than I was expecting.

I am still concerned about skin oil and dirt getting in the charger port.

EDIT: port was the wrong word, but I'm worried about grime on the magnetic sensor. Probably it makes no difference, but it's still something I thought about.

Last edited:

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
They're obviously hiding the battery in the link bracelet.

I think the Apple watch price is going to be a long running joke.

CedarPoint182

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2006
I'm confused... How does "talk time" relate to the Apple Watch? I thought the device just alerts you to incoming calls. Why is the watch's battery life so affected when you're talking on your phone?

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
18 hours sounds reasonable. They will keep on working on battery life, so I will wait for at least 2nd or even maybe 3rd gen before buying one.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
18 hours sounds reasonable. They will keep on working on battery life, so I will wait for at least 2nd or even maybe 3rd gen before buying one.

So you're getting an Apple Watch in 3 years? Have fun waiting :cool:

18 hours is more than reasonable. How many hours a day are you awake? If you sleep just 6 hours, the other 18 hours of the day, you can have the Watch on.

Take it off at night, put it on in the morning. 18 hours is a very comfortable margin for regular use without having to ever worry about the battery.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
That battery life is actually better than I was expecting. Apple's marketing has worked on me...I'm now interested in a purchase, but it's going to be the Sport edition for me! I loved the idea of the milanese loop band, but the premium price tag on that simply isn't worth it given the internals of the watch are exactly the same. Still, $10k for the Edition. That's almost as much as the Macintosh IIfx cost back in the day!

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
I'm confused... How does "talk time" relate to the Apple Watch? I thought the device just alerts you to incoming calls. Why is the watch's battery life so affected when you're talking on your phone?

Watch the keynote. You can talk through your watch (a la Dick Tracy), if you want to (of course an iPhone within Bluetooth or WiFi distance is required). Also talk time would include Siri, recording voice messages, etc.

Last edited:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
The battery life is definitely a pleasant surprise and makes the device more functional, but I'm still not convinced on the product itself.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
huh?

Go watch the announcement.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
That's the charger? Eep. I like how elegant the charger is for my Pebble, what with the magnetic stuff on the side so I can keep this on a stand when I'm not wearing it.
I guess they'll want to sell us a special dock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.