Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has expanded its Reuse and Recycling Program in the United States, Canada and several European countries to cover eligible Android, BlackBerry and Windows Phone smartphones. The new trade-in program is available online and in-store and provides customers with the option to mail in eligible non-Apple smartphones, including certain Samsung, HTC, LG, Nokia, Sony and BlackBerry models, for credit in the form of an Apple Store gift card or bank transfer.

Apple-Smartphone-Trade-in-Program-800x330.png

The smartphone trade-in program has gone live in the United States, United Kingdom, Italy, France, Germany and Canada in partnership with third-party device buyback and trade-in company Brightstar. Apple is also accepting various PC models by certain manufacturers as part of its expanded Reuse and Recycling Program, handled by third-party vendor Dataserv.
Apple's Reuse and Recycling Program launched in August 2013 and was previously limited to trading in qualifying iPhones, iPads and Macs for immediate credit towards the purchase of a new Apple device. Apple also offers a traditional recycling program for disposing of devices such as iPhones, iPads, Macs and other smartphones and computers that are no longer eligible for trade in.

Article Link: Apple's Smartphone Trade-In Program Launches in United States, Canada and Europe

Last edited:

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Price of iPhone6? $700.00

"You have a trade in iPhone3G? That'll be $7. credit!"

Congratulations. You've just received a 1% discount.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
"instalments"?

Chrome on Windows 7 tells me that's a typo. Wordnik tells me it's an alternative spelling of installments.

(Second word on the right half of the banner taken from Apple's website in the article.)

Actually, what the hell is up with the right half of the banner.

Monthly instalments.

That's not a proper sentence, but they started it with a capital letter and ended it with a period as if it was.

Spread the cost up to 24 months.

I'm pretty sure this is another sentence fragment.

Even if we throw out the period and lowercase the S in Spread, it's still an awkward sentence.

Monthly instalments spread the cost up to 24 months.

Shouldn't it be "Monthly installments spread the cost over up to 24 months." ?

I'm not sure. I haven't taken an English class in years. But this just seems particularly bad.

Last edited:

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Great Ill give my iphone 3!

Yup, I'm definitely bringing in my iPhone 4S (the photo features an iPhone 4/4S, so I'm assuming it's allowed). Even if I get paid a pittance. The thing has limped along since the final versions of iOS 7, and can't even do iOS 8.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
"instalments"?

Chrome on Windows 7 tells me that's a typo. Wordnik tells me it's an alternative spelling of installments.

(Second word on the right half of the banner taken from Apple's website in the article.)

United Kingdom, Canada and Australia (and probably elsewhere) use English (UK) and not English (US).

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
Android phones have become really competent, but whenever i see an iPhone 6 i gaze admiringly at it.. I absolutely love my Z3...i can't wait to get the 6+s if they offer a trade in program for that.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
"instalments"?

That's not a proper sentence, but the started it with a capital letter and ended it with a period as if it was.

Even if we throw out the period and lowercase the S in Spread, it's still an awkward sentence.

I'm not sure. I haven't taken an English class in years. But this just seems particularly bad.

Oh if the earth were only so tiny.

----------

I don't see anywhere on the US based apple store to trade in your Android. I priced out a 16GB iPhone 4 in perfect condition and it said it's worth $10. Verizon just gave me $200 for it 6 months ago. I'd wonder if it's still better to hang onto an old device and wait for Verizon/Target/Best Buy to do a trade-in program where you'd get a lot more for it.

I never thought the hand-me-down iPhone 4 would ever be worth anything until Verizon gave me quite a bit for it.

newtestleper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
"instalments"?

That's not a proper sentence, but the started it with a capital letter and ended it with a period as if it was.

*they started it with a capital letter.

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
It take me to the UK page and tells me my old 4S is worth 55 pounds. Not worth the expense of traveling to the UK for that. :rolleyes:

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
"instalments"?

Ok, first of all, this is a standard marketing material and those are bullet points. Every sentence is implied to begin with "Includes:". Second, "Spread the cost" is a complete sentence, not a fragment....not sure how you consider it a fragment even with the trailing prepositional phrase. Third, periods at the end of bullet points are optional, sometimes they look nice and others they don't.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Oh if the earth were only so tiny.

----------

I don't see anywhere on the US based apple store to trade in your Android. I priced out a 16GB iPhone 4 in perfect condition and it said it's worth $10. Verizon just gave me $200 for it 6 months ago. I'd wonder if it's still better to hang onto an old device and wait for Verizon/Target/Best Buy to do a trade-in program where you'd get a lot more for it.

I never thought the hand-me-down iPhone 4 would ever be worth anything until Verizon gave me quite a bit for it.

The highest price right now you can get for a near new, flawless Iphone 4 selling it directly on the Internet is $140 bucks right now. The average selling price is around $100-120.

Akzel

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
I have a 5S and I want a 6, what do you guys recommend? What's the best place to get more for my device? I checked the trade-in program and they're giving so little for thos device and won't take in consideration I have Care+.

PS: my device is unlocked, I bought full price at Apple.
PPS: I'm in the US.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I have a 5S and I want a 6, what do you guys recommend? What's the best place to get more for my device? I checked the trade-in program and they're giving so little for thos device and won't take in consideration I have Care+.

PS: my device is unlocked, I bought full price at Apple.
PPS: I'm in the US.

Craigslist will net you the most. Meet at an Apple Store, carrier store, or some public place. If you don't want to do that try swappa.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Given Tim Cooks recent publicised views, can we expect that both phone colours will hold the same value? And phones that are different, such as those who have been jailbroken won't be refused to participate?

meaning-matters

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Wish I could trade in my iPhone 6 Plus for a smaller iPhone 6. I actually also want to trade for a phone that does not painfully pull my beard hairs during every call.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The highest price right now you can get for a near new, flawless Iphone 4 selling it directly on the Internet is $140 bucks right now. The average selling price is around $100-120.

Depends on how much Apple offers, but if Apple offers it then you know you will get the money. With eBay or other methods, there is always the risk that you run into a scammer or just an extremely stupid buyer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.