Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As the initial wave of reviews for the much-anticipated Apple Watch began flooding in this morning, French website Metronews posted one of the first unboxing videos for Apple's wrist-worn device, showing off specifically what appears to be the 42mm Stainless Steel Case with Milanese Loop Apple Watch.

The video is short, but confirms that photos of the packaging shared yesterday were legitimate, with a squat, square box housing the MagSafe charging cable in its bottommost compartment and the actual Watch in its own plastic-looking box separate from the rest of the packaging.

Metronews runs through a few of the Watch's features after the unboxing, showcasing some quick swipes through Glances and even longer looks at sending taps, drawings, and a heartbeat to another Watch user.

Along with its featured review of the Apple Watch posted this morning, Mashable debuted a Vine unboxing of the device, showcasing a stop-motion reveal of the link bracelet option slowly emerging from its packaging.

The Apple Watch launch date of April 24 is getting closer and closer, with pre-orders going up as soon as this Friday, April 10 at 12:01 AM Pacific Time. Stay up to date on what all the major outlets are thinking of Apple's newest wearable in MacRumors' Apple Watch review round-up hub, which we'll update as more sites post their thoughts on the device.

Article Link: First Apple Watch Unboxing Video Surfaces

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I figured the previous pics were real. :confused: The hoax was too elaborate for it not to be.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Surprisingly elaborate and complicated packaging by Apple's standards - a box within a box?!

Perhaps this is "special" packaging for the stainless steel version, and the Sport will be packaged more simply - something resembling the iPhone 5c box?

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
When the guy in the video turns over the external packaging to get at the internal box holding the Watch, it begins to fall apart. Do you think that's because he already "cut the tape" securing it in there? Or did Apple make a package that is likely to fall open when people are digging for that internal box?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
an expensive device in a tight packaging that makes it nearly fall out ... must be an genuine apple product ;)

When the guy in the video turns over the external packaging to get at the internal box holding the Watch, it begins to fall apart. Do you think that's because he already "cut the tape" securing it in there? Or did Apple make a package that is likely to fall open when people are digging for that internal box?

wouldnt surprise me, have u ever opened an iPhone / iPad box?

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007

He took the wrap off before making the video. You can see on the short vine video that there is a wrapping that surrounds the plastic case.

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Haters going to hate. What is your definition of classy packaging?

I see what he's saying , but I'm fine with it, would be nice if it was like a leather case that held the watch and charged at the same time. Looks like r&d budget on this one was 0.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Haters going to hate. What is your definition of classy packaging?

I'm going to have to assume the poster was looking for something like this: mahogany box blessed with the giggles of baby harp seals and inlaid with diamonds and elven hair.

J.J. Sefton

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2004
I can't help but hear "Sledgehammer" by Peter Gabriel playing in my head while I watch this.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
the packaging looks good, but reading patel review of the watch. I think i'm gonna wait for version 2 of apple watch.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I expect that the box for the gold watch will be different since it will also function as the charging base. Good to see how long the cable is.

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
I see what he's saying , but I'm fine with it, would be nice if it was like a leather case that held the watch and charged at the same time. Looks like r&d budget on this one was 0.

For the edition models, the box is made of leather and houses a charging stand that is meant to be used as a sort of display and charging housing.

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
Don't like the Milanese Loop, but anyways, look forward to getting my 42mm SG Sport.

My watch is gonna be used more while working out.

pmxperience

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
United States

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
Why does the article say that the video is Japanese when they are clearly speaking Cantonese. I'm sure that's Chinese in everyone else's book.

Sorry, I just couldn't let that one slide.

Only because iDownload Blog said Japanese, now I see 9to5Max have corrected it as well :D

GamerBoredom

Suspended
Oct 29, 2013
Colorado
Packaging

:apple:has been very bold with their packaging as of late. Less images/colour and just writing with indents to represent the size/type of product (although I cannot remember what my air2 packaging was in). This caused a lot of people at non-Apple stores to be ticked when selecting the proper iPhone during the 6 launch (I was given gold and wrong carrier...twice).

I for one love it. With iOS 7 and forward the idea from Apple that I'm getting is to simplify everything. The packaging I was thinking would have a bit more colour or wow factor, but to me, I like simple.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Ahhh! Why do I keep seeing videos of the stainless steel with milanese loop? I think that is quickly becoming my favorite combination. The link bracelet is also very nice but more than I'm willing to spend at the moment. My current watch is kinda old and beat up, and to make things worse one of the links is missing a pin on one side so it might fall off at any moment. Must…resist…the urge……

splogue

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC
The packaging looks very elegant.

It will be cool to see what they do for the Edition. If it comes with a stand, you can bet there will be a thousand knock-offs of that to choose from after it is revealed.

The music during the video, on the other hand, is like being attacked by a chain saw. Sometimes silence is better. This is one of those cases.

FelixAng

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2013
Hong Kong
Besides commenting on that awful Muzak, it's a pretty cool video to watch on mute. The charging wire is much more cumbersome than I imagined, though of decent quality.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Besides commenting on that awful Muzak, it's a pretty cool video to watch on mute. The charging wire is much more cumbersome than I imagined, though of decent quality.

How do you know the charging cable is of good quality? Did you touch one already and inspected it personally? What is cumbersome about it? It's just a charging cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.