Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

From design mockups to purported case leaks, the much-rumored "iPad Pro" has been steadily building steam for the past few months. Today, several new cases apparently designed for Apple's iPad Pro have been leaked, and one in particular is far more detailed than any previously released (via SonnyDickson.com).

1321f458b99cc22521389e81d67cc16b.png

The notable new case leaked today is the first to feature a tri-fold design with a fabric cover, marking a substantial increase in complexity over the simple soft plastic cases seen previously. This increased complexity could be a sign that case manufacturers are increasingly confident in the iPad Pro's design specs and thus willing to invest in more expensive case designs such as this even months ahead of the expected launch.

Recent rumors point towards the iPad Pro's screen measuring between 12.2- and 12.9-inches, with the expected array of cutouts for the volume rockers, back-facing camera, lock button, and a charging port. The newly leaked cases have cutouts for all of these features, including what appear to be speakers at both the top and bottom of the device, in line with previous rumors surrounding the tablet.

The new cases also include the mysterious cutout on the left side of the device. Some previous rumored cases have included the cutout, with rumors variously suggesting it could be for a SIM-card tray on cellular models, a second Lightning port, or perhaps a USB-C port. The Wall Street Journal previously claimed Apple is indeed considering including USB on the iPad Pro.

InsertPic_F1AF.jpg

As is always worth pointing out, these early case designs could still be far off from the actual design of whatever the iPad Pro turns out to be, due to case manufacturers creating molds off of leaked or unsubstantiated design elements. But while there have been some notable misses over the years, case designs have generally proven accurate indicators of upcoming product designs.

The latest rumors peg the iPad Pro as perhaps having a triple-core A8X processor, 2 GB of RAM, Touch ID, and possibly shipping with a first-party Apple manufactured stylus accessory. Release date rumors have fluctuated significantly as Apple as reportedly pushed back its internal timeline several times. The latest rumors suggest production could begin in September, perhaps setting up for an October launch alongside a refresh of the existing iPad lineup.

Article Link: 'iPad Pro' Cases Increasing in Quality Ahead of Rumored Fall Launch

Last edited:

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I'm kinda excited for this but don't know if I would replace my current iPad Air with this.

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
Sometimes i wonder if this 12" so called ipad pro is not a decoy... There have been a case ( under Jobs) where Apple intentionally spread rumours about a fake imaginary product, just so that they could locate the source of the leak from within. ( it worked, and the guy got arrested)

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
If it to be released in the Fall, why would it come with last year's A8X processor? Especially if it's going to be the "Pro" model of iPads?

I understand this is all based on very vague rumors, but wouldn't it make a lot more sense to speculate that it come with an A9 or A9X chip?

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
At this point, I don't know if I prefer to have an approx 12" MacBook or an approx 12" iPad to accompany my iPhone 6 Plus at home.

Love the idea of that size screen (on either device) more and more. I almost wish that iOS and OSX become one, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
If it to be released in the Fall, why would it come with last year's A8X processor? Especially if it's going to be the "Pro" model of iPads?

Most likely because A9 is not ready yet. But it'll be a different A8 anyways if the rumors are true. More like an A8XX

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
I'd rather have a Surface Pro 3, to be honest.

and that Sir is your choice!

----------

Sometimes i wonder if this 12" so called ipad pro is not a decoy... There have been a case ( under Jobs) where Apple intentionally spread rumours about a fake imaginary product, just so that they could locate the source of the leak from within. ( it worked, and the guy got arrested)

Um, no!!!

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
To make the iPad "Pro", Apple needs to pay attention more to software issues than hardware ones.

The education market is declining the iPads because Apple hasn't addressed the needs of the schools...major, major blunder on their part.

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
Prediction:

With the iPad Pro, Apple will release its own external keyboard case based on the ultra-thin keys of the new Retina Macbook. It will be like MS Surface but with real keyboard key action.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Most likely because A9 is not ready yet. But it'll be a different A8 anyways if the rumors are true. More like an A8XX

Yeah, that's true. But it still seems silly as it implies that the iPad Pro will come with outdated hardware. IIRC, around this time last year, the rumors all suggested that the iPhone 6 would come with an A8, even though the A8 was not officially announced or leaked. It was just obvious.

Also, there are a few rumors already surrounding the A9. I'm just nitpicking, of course, but I'm willing to bet money that the "iPad Pro" does not come with an A8X chip.

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
Full OS?

Perfect opportunity for Apple to "catch-up" to the Surface by making the iPad pro run OS X. That would shake things up a bit, and make a really great super mobile computer — usable even in-flight with the person in front of you leaning back their seat. :)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Full OS.

Make it the Retina Macbook screen without the keyboard running OS X.

I'm on the edge of getting a Surface Pro 3 . . . . so please keep me in the ecosystem Apple.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
Really disappointed the new MacBook and the iPad Pro didn't turn out to be one, really cool, hybrid product.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003

I understand this is all based on very vague rumors, but wouldn't it make a lot more sense to speculate that it come with an A9 or A9X chip?

This is just inertia in the reporting. When it was supposed to launched at the beginning of the year it made sense that would not get new processor generation. Now that is supposed to launch in the fall, alongside new iPhones and presumably new iPad Airs, it of course doesn't make sense to expect it to launch with a lesser processor than a new iPad Air.

Because the previous rumours said A8X, this spec is simply copied over to new articles that describe other rumoured aspects of the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.