Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Anyone with an iPhone 4S or newer knows how to use Siri. Even if you've never used the "Hey Siri" feature on iOS 8, you can probably figure it out fairly easily. However, on a completely different device, like Apple Watch, accessing Siri may need a little bit of extra training.

How-to-use-Hey-Siri-Apple-Watch-3-800x600.jpg

If you are having trouble getting Siri to activate, we've got a tutorial that may help shed some light on how to get her attention. Plus with one simple question, you can find out everything that your personal assistant can help you with on Apple Watch

Using "Hey Siri"

How-to-use-Hey-Siri-Apple-Watch-1-250x313.jpg
You can get Siri's attention by raising your wrist and speaking the words "Hey Siri" within range of Apple Watch. You can also ask follow up questions the same way.

You can use Hey Siri while you are viewing an app, in the Notifications screen, or on the Home screen. But if you are having trouble getting her attention, try the steps above.

One other reason that you may be having trouble using Hey Siri is if the microphone is blocked. Apple Watch's microphone is on the side of the casing, so if you have a bulky jacket sleeve up against the side where the mic is, it may muffle your voice.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Use Siri on Apple Watch

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Can I send a text to a group message I already have going? I still haven't figured out how to do that with Siri...If I have a ten person group message I don't want to have to say all of their names to Siri. And I also tried "Hey Siri text *group name* blah blah blah."

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
Queue the "why do we need these tutorials?" comments.
It's ok friends. We know more are inevitable; just let it go.

The next one might be "How to Change Bands on the Apple Watch" ... or did we cover that already?

About Siri. Other than playing with it, I haven't used it much on the Watch.
Have any of you found compelling or more convenient applications of Siri on the Watch vs. the iPhone?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
About Siri. Other than playing with it, I haven't used it much on the Watch.
Have any of you found compelling or more convenient applications of Siri on the Watch vs. the iPhone?

Without a keyboard for input, Siri is much more compelling/convenient on Watch compared to iPhone. Great for sending quick messages.

Just feels weird to talk into your watch in public. But it feels weird to talk to Siri on the iPhone in public too.

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Siri is one of the more compelling reasons to get the Apple watch but with the limited localization, Im guessing it will have limited success in most territories.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I don't understand why Apple had to go and make Siri so complicated on the Apple Watch that MacRumors has to explain to us how to use it.

Siri should be simple. Apple Watch engineers should hang their heads in shame. They bring dishonor upon their company. Shame on them! Shame on Apple!

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
A surprisingly great use for Siri on the Watch: setting appointments while sitting at my computer. It's great to just wake up my watch, say "Hey Siri, create an appointment for tomorrow at 10 am John Smith". Siri creates the appointment, the sync with my desktop computer is almost instantaneous and I've accomplished in just 5 seconds what took me somewhat longer to do using the Mac's Calendar app and the keyboard.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I don't understand why Apple had to go and make Siri so complicated on the Apple Watch that MacRumors has to explain to us how to use it.

Siri should be simple. Apple Watch engineers should hang their heads in shame. They bring dishonor upon their company. Shame on them! Shame on Apple!

Is that sarcasm? Doesn't sound too hard to me. Over time things will be refined just like on the iPhone.

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles

Uh.. It's the same as it in on the iPhone. Tap and hold, or use Hey Siri. How is this complicated in comparison?

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Uh.. It's the same as it in on the iPhone. Tap and hold, or use Hey Siri. How is this complicated in comparison?

Didn't you read the article? The entire first half (about 8 paragraphs!) is explaining the various situations in which Siri may have problems or simply won't work.

If the watch UI is in the wrong state then there are multiple steps required to activate Siri. On an iPhone it's always available and always easy!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
One bit of information missing from this "how to" series is how Siri is not dependent on being tethered to iPhone. All it needs is connection to known WiFi hotspot.

You can also send and receive messages without iPhone.

dav146

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
I have never used Siri on my phone past day 1, I find it easier to just navigate to the required app.

On the watch however it is a different experience.

I regularly set alarms to wake up - and I also use the countdown timer function a lot in the kitchen. The ease in the way the watch responds is beautiful.

I love reading text messages onscreen without pulling my phone out of my pocket - or walking over to the other side of the living room late at night. Granted if I wish to respond I generally pick up my phone - but not always.

I have also had the pleasure of using Maps whilst walking around London - instead of holding my phone in front of me whilst walking, I kept it in my pocket, each time I neared a turn I felt a gentle vibration on my wrist - and the watch display updated to show me where to turn. Awesome! And it may just stop a potential thief from hijacking my phone out of a tourists hand whilst in an unfamiliar location..

The Apple Watch is a beautifully designed piece of equipment. There is always room for improvement (such as sleep tracking, longer battery etc). For revision one I am more than happy!

Reactions: JeffyTheQuik

BMac1203

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
Bay Area - CA
If the watch UI is in the wrong state then there are multiple steps required to activate Siri. On an iPhone it's always available and always easy!

Not 100% true - you're talking about when "Hey Siri" is available. The post goes on to explain that Siri is *always* available via holding down the digital crown, just like the home button on the iPhone.

dav146

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
Happy as I was with the watch... I've now found another piece that just makes me happy!

I've just started running again in a bid to get a little fitter - anyways I always found it a pain to start music, start the Nike App, then put my phone in my pocket on a belt before running....

Well now my problems have been answered!

I fire up my music as usual, pause using the in line remote.

I get my phone tucked away and cables tidied - when I am good to run there is a little iWatch App for Nike that starts the workout - beautiful :)

I also start the built in workout app to track my HR.

The nike watch app is a little behind when running - I found that I have to lift my arm twice for the screen to update to my current distance - but I am sure they will work on that.

At the end of my run I just end the workout via my watch again.

The watch genuinely makes some tasks that little bit easier that you are grateful for the wonderful piece of tech!

1stalban

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008

Anyone with an iPhone 4S or newer knows how to use Siri. Even if you've never used the "Hey Siri" feature on iOS 8, you can probably figure it out fairly easily. However, on a completely different device, like Apple Watch, accessing Siri may need a little bit of extra training.

How-to-use-Hey-Siri-Apple-Watch-3-800x600.jpg
If you are having trouble getting Siri to activate, we've got a tutorial that may help shed some light on how to get her attention. Plus with one simple question, you can find out everything that your personal assistant can help you with on Apple Watch

Using "Hey Siri"

How-to-use-Hey-Siri-Apple-Watch-1-250x313.jpg
You can get Siri's attention by raising your wrist and speaking the words "Hey Siri" within range of Apple Watch. You can also ask follow up questions the same way.

If you have experienced problems getting the Hey Siri feature to work, there are a couple of factors that may be keeping her from responding.

First of all, if you navigated to the watch face by pressing the Digital Crown from another view, like the Home screen, Hey Siri won't work. It also doesn't work if you are in the Glances screen.

Instead, you will have to lower your wrist until the Apple Watch screen goes to sleep. Then, wake Apple Watch by lifting your wrist again. Then, say "Hey Siri" to activate your personal assistant.

You can use Hey Siri while you are viewing an app, in the Notifications screen, or on the Home screen. But if you are having trouble getting her attention, try the steps above.

One other reason that you may be having trouble using Hey Siri is if the microphone is blocked. Apple Watch's microphone is on the side of the casing, so if you have a bulky jacket sleeve up against the side where the mic is, it may muffle your voice.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Use Siri on Apple Watch

[doublepost=1453903814][/doublepost]
I've been searching but unable to find a solution to this: when I tell Siri to send a text to one of my contacts, it asks "Which should I use" and then shows two emails for that contact. I'm unsure how to fix that since I obviously want the text to go to their iMessage on their phone.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.