Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to remodel its flagship Regent Street retail store in United Kingdom per a recent application filed with the City of Westminster in England. The company has contracted award-winning architecture firm Foster and Partners to design the layout of the new store and commissioned Donald Insall Associates to conduct a historic building report that justifies the renovations in the iconic shopping area.

Regent-Street-Apple-Store1-800x570.jpg
A view of the current Apple Store facade facing Regent Street (Foster and Partners)
The proposed renovation will consist of the partial removal of the existing mezzanine floor at the front of the store, the relocation of three columns to create a more spacious feel, the removal of the existing main glass stairs leading up to the mezzanine level and replacement with two new side staircases, and re-configuration of the back of house at the basement level with improved staff facilities.
"The proposal looks to enhance the ground floor sales area by removing the front part of the mezzanine and creating a double height entrance," reads Foster and Partners' project rationale. "This partial removal of the mezzanine also enhances the transparency from the street and floods the store with natural light. The interior front facade, with its full height arches, clad in natural Portland stone, can now be appreciated in its full extend. Moreover the visual connection between the two levels of retail is dramatically improved. This is key to the customer journey and the efficient use of the overall retail area."
Foster and Partners will also be removing the four Apple logos found on the store's facade in order to allow more natural light inside and preserve the historic look of the building. The store's overall square footage will be reduced by 4,400 square feet, or around 25% of the current size, and the interior will consist of terrazzo floor, GFRC cladding on the walls and oak timber for all fittings and fixtures.

Regent-Street-Apple-Store-Floor-Plan-800x578.jpg
Floor plan for remodeled Regent Street store interior (Foster and Partners)
Apple plans to open a temporary store at 235 Regent Street to continue to serve customers during the remodeling process. The temporary location will be located at the basement level of the same building as the permanent store for a maximum of three years, accessible by a carefully designed lobby at ground level with a minimal steel staircase and a fully accessible lift.

Apple's flagship Regent Street retail store opened in November 2004 and attracts over 4 million visitors per year. The iconic store was last expanded and remodeled in mid-2006 to become the largest Apple Store location at the time. Apple has contracted Foster and Partners for several other projects in recent months, including the design of Campus 2 and remodeling of Apple's flagship San Francisco store.

Article Link: Apple to Remodel Flagship Regent Street Store in United Kingdom

Frign

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
I bet we were entering the building the wrong way, there's no other explanation for this remodelling. Let's wait for what Jonathan Ive has to say. ;)

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Good.

I don't really like the store. So much wasted space, the stairs are rubbish, it's boiling hot upstairs and considering how busy it is, they can do a lot better.

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
This store is nice (not amazing though, Covent is much better), but the customer service is hellish... They should change that first.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Interesting! The part of the mezzanine closest to the street always seemed a bit under-used anyway, so it makes sense to remove it. And those Apple logos in the Windows are a bit garish for Regent street, so it's nice that they're removing them too.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
So this is what the UK prices rises were for. Now it makes sense.

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
as long as people can still use the Mac Pros for looking at rubbish on Facebook...

Notechy

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2015
Surrey
In the last month or so I have followed and largely appreciated Macrumors. But even though I live only about 12 miles from this store, I could not care less about its upgrade.

The threshold for getting on to this front page is very low!

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
In the last month or so I have followed and largely appreciated Macrumors. But even though I live only about 12 miles from this store, I could not care less about its upgrade.

The threshold for getting on to this front page is very low!

I'd rather see this than have to scroll by another article on the Apple Watch. To each their own.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
This is a really good store. Hope the improvements make it even better.

As far as I know, it was the largest Apple Store in Europe until the one in Covent Garden took that title.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
It seems like they're taking away some space off of the first floor. Or am I looking at it wrong? Because if they do, considering how busy that store always is, I don't understand why.

And I liked the huge staircase too :(

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
It seems like they're taking away some space off of the first floor. Or am I looking at it wrong? Because if they do, considering how busy that store always is, I don't understand why.

And I liked the huge staircase too :(

Yep, it will be reduced according to the article:

The store's overall square footage will be reduced by 4,400 square feet, or around 25% of the current size, and the interior will consist of terrazzo floor, GFRC cladding on the walls and oak timber for all fittings and fixtures.

I dislike the patented glass stairway in the middle, too wide and a headache to climb. I'd rather have two staircases as is being proposed right now, escalators would have been ideal but that isn't the Apple way.

iCuria

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2015
Great Place!

A lot of space when you are attending store activities. Good service too!

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
So that will mean closing it? So apple are going to close one of their most iconic stores? Could be interesting.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I thought Convent Garden was flagship UK store. Wasn't that store the biggest in the world for a while?

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I thought Convent Garden was flagship UK store. Wasn't that store the biggest in the world for a while?

Covent Garden may be bigger, but Regent Street has more of a "flagship" feel to it. Regent Street feels bigger and more open where as Covent Garden is spread out over several rooms on several floors.

Regent Street also has the theater space and is where most of the celebrity visits/events are held.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.