Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applejeffwilliams-250x267.jpg
Apple's Vice President of Operations Jeff Williams today took the stage at Re/code's Code Conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, California, to speak about Apple's recently released wearable device, the Apple Watch.

Williams is the person who oversees Apple's supply chain, much like Tim Cook used to before he became Apple's CEO, and he was described by Walt Mossberg as the "quiet figure" behind many of Apple's popular products like the iPhone and the Apple Watch. Williams says he oversees 3,000 engineers in addition to the supply chain, and offered a tidbit on Apple's recent 74 million iPhone sales in the holiday quarter -- if you stack them like pancakes, they'd reach higher than the International Space Station.

According to Williams, who declined to give specific sales figures on Apple's wearable, the Apple Watch is doing "fantastic." When asked by what metric, he went on to say that customers "love the Apple Watch" even more than he expected. The Apple Watch, he said, is "gathering momentum" even in a market where other products aren't doing as well, because many millennials don't wear watches.

When pressed for details on Apple Watch sales numbers, Williams said that Apple would "rather spend time making great products" than focusing on the numbers, but he did say Apple had sold "a lot" of them.

On the topic of Apple Watch apps, Williams says third-party apps will get better when developers are able to release native apps and when access to native sensors is permitted. He gave an example of what a native Apple Watch app might do, suggesting an app like Strava will be more full featured as it would have direct access to sensors.

The native Apple Watch app SDK will be previewed at WWDC, according to Williams, suggesting full featured Apple Watch apps that can access health sensors, the Digital crown, and more, will be available when iOS 9 is released to the public in the fall.

Williams also spoke on working conditions at its supplier's factories in China, reiterating Apple's efforts to improve the lives of factory workers, and he talked about ResearchKit, Apple's platform for enabling researchers to obtain health-related data from iOS users for studies and research.

Apple's already learned "some amazing things" with ResearchKit. Using Parkinson's disease research as an example, Williams says that Apple discovered a set of the control group participants in that study had Parkinson's but didn't know it. When it comes to Apple Watch, its medical contributions will be "huge," says Williams, but true medical features may take awhile because of the need for health studies and regulatory approval. "We're just beginning," he said, commenting on Apple's health efforts and ResearchKit, and in a later comment, he said that Apple has a "great interest" in helping people.

Williams also hinted at Apple's interest in the car. When asked about what industries Apple's looking at for its next amazing product, Williams referenced the car as "the ultimate mobile device," but then clarified he was speaking of CarPlay. He went on to say that Apple's "exploring a lot of interesting areas."

Additional details on Williams' interview can be found over at the full Re/code live blog, and when video clips of his interview become available, we'll update this post to include them.

Article Link: Apple's Jeff Williams: Native Apple Watch Apps Coming This Fall, Apple Watch Sales are 'Fantastic'

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
"Since the sales are fantastic, we are going to replace it soon!"

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
On the topic of Apple Watch apps, Williams says third-party apps will get better when developers are able to release native apps and when access to native sensors is permitted.

making it much easier for government bodies to write or buy or demand access to an app to get your health data :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The biggest tip that an Apple car is coming. Probably why Jony Ive's managerial duties were handed off to direct reports. Of course CarPlay will be the standard answer until it's not. But no way CarPlay becomes a $10-$20B business.

– Question: About revenue growth at Apple, about 65% of revenue comes from the iPhone. My concern is that the Watch won’t be the next $10-$20 billion business. Can you talk about industries that Apple is at least looking at with your giant stack of money? Williams: The car is the ultimate mobile device. We look at many categories, we’re exploring a lot of interesting areas.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Williams says he oversees 3,000 engineers in addition to the supply chain, and offered a tidbit on Apple's recent 74 million iPhone sales in the holiday quarter -- if you stack them like pancakes, they'd reach higher than the International Space Station.

…

When pressed for details on Apple Watch sales numbers, Williams said that Apple would "rather spend time making great products" than focusing on the numbers, but he did say Apple had sold "a lot" of them.

These two statements are at odds. Someone at Apple figured up that the iPhones sold last quarter would reach the ISS, but suddenly when it comes to the Apple Watch numbers aren't important at all because their focus is on making great products? OH OK THEN.

That being said I'm sure the numbers are ok, but he should have said instead that it will have to wait until quarterly conference calls or WWDC keynote or whatever. We realize all new market products start out slow.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Hoping native apps means usable apps. The lag on startup makes quite a few almost pointless...

I'm waiting for native apps to release our company's watch apps. The current way to create apps (via bluetooth calls to the phone), are too slow. We need native apps to release an app that is actually useful.

NissanGuy23

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2010
Why do I fear Apple would do something this if it built a car?

More like, the apple car lasts 20 years, and the PC car keeps breaking down and the stealership down the street will charge you massive amounts of money replacing random things and not fixing the problem.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
They need to start inventing new words to describe their products. Fantastic, amazing, incredible and such are worn out. How about things like "The Sales Are iPhonetastic?" or "Appletastic" or "Jobsworthy" or "Pixarmazing." You know, something more concretely descriptive. :D

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
…Williams says that Apple discovered a set of the control group participants in that study had Parkinson's but didn't know it.

Now that is really cool and addresses a big problem with studies like this. Logic would suggest that if you can focus clearly on specific variables against a very accurate control group then you can get even better results in less time. I'm really excited for the sensors Apple will put into this device in the future and the type of research and health benefits we will see from it. I'd upgrade to the Apple Watch 2 in a heartbeat if it could track blood pressure (lots of issues run in my family and I'm borderline) and glucose for diabetes (some limited history in my family).

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Fantastic.
More than expected.
A lot.
Rather not focus on the numbers.

All relative speak. Relative speak is the tongue of concealment.

When talking about iPhones we get x amount sold 1st day, x amount sold the release weekend, x amount sold first quarter.

Guess they aren't interested in letting anyone know the numbers.

----------

They need to start inventing new words to describe their products. Fantastic, amazing, incredible and such are worn out. How about things like "The Sales Are iPhonetastic?" or "Appletastic" or "Jobsworthy" or "Pixarmazing." You know, something more concretely descriptive. :D

Jobsworthy.

That is an excellent term. I hope to see it used more.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Why do I fear Apple would do something this if it built a car?

That "Apple" car is basically how cars are now.

/Yes, I know parts are replaceable in new cars, it's just that compared to cars before the 90s, cars today are basically driving computers.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
More like, the apple car lasts 20 years, and the PC car keeps breaking down and the stealership down the street will charge you massive amounts of money replacing random things and not fixing the problem.

Some PC brands, you'd be right. Nowadays, however, I find Macs last maybe 5 years before coming super-duper slow. Plus, if you get into the smallest accident, oops, you have to replace the whole car. You can't upgrade the engine, seats or anything either. Plus, oil & tires can only be replaced at Apple Stores or authorized dealerships, as Apple wouldn't make it self-serviceable.

colin8651

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Oh Jeff

Oh Jeff, your Pre Order's of the Apple Watches are fantastic your sales on the other hand are trailing behind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.