Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_6_6_plus_comp-250x376.jpg
A new report out of Apple's supply chain in Taiwan today claims that the next generation of iPhones - tentatively designated as the "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus" - will both receive a version of Force Touch this year, according to Economic Daily News (via GforGames).

The supply chain source claimed to confirm that previous rumors regarding Force Touch's exclusivity on the iPhone 6s Plus were in fact true, for a time, before Apple scrapped the plan and decided to move forward with installing the haptic feedback technology on both 6s models this year. Taiwanese manufacturing and R&D company TPK is still reportedly taking on the task of providing Force Touch sensors for the new iPhones.

Force Touch has been rumored as a standout feature on the new iPhone models a few times throughout the first half of 2015, leading into the first public interaction with the technology first when the new 12-inch Retina MacBook launched and then when the Apple Watch began shipping late in April.

Just this week, a new report suggested that iOS 9 was created "to be Force Touch-ready," with Apple building the tools to create developer interest in using the technology within their apps. Given that the haptic feedback interaction allows a new form of communication with Apple's devices, the introduction of Force Touch into the iPhone ecosystem could bring about a big overhaul of iOS if it in fact turns out to be the expected middle-of-the-road "s" upgrade this year.

Rumors about the new iPhones have begun piling up as the year moves forward, with most agreeing the device will have an upgraded 12-megapixel camera, A9 processor with 2GB of RAM, a possible new color option in Rose Gold, but with a similar form factor to the current iPhone 6. KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo also predicts that Apple will defy tradition and unveil the new iPhone in August with a planned September launch date.

Article Link: Force Touch Now Planned for Both 'iPhone 6s' Display Sizes

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
It says "2GB of RAM". Hmm.

Regardless, I'll be selling my factory unlocked 6+ to get, no matter what it comes with.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I don't believe for a second that Apple had planned on this only being available for the Plus.

arggg14

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
Might just be the feature to make me upgrade from 6+ to 6S Plus... Damn it Apple, got me again :eek:

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Didn't Marco Polo say that he hated Force Touch on the new MacBook? That makes me wary of it on the iPhone. It sounds complicated.

Nevertheless, I will consider the iPhone 6s on these conditions: it has substantially better battery life than the iPhone 5, it has no ugly antenna bands, it has no protruding camera lens, and it has a 4.2" or smaller screen.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Didn't Marco Polo say that he hated Force Touch on the new MacBook? That makes me wary of it on the iPhone. It sounds complicated.

Who cares what he thinks? It works exactly the same as a regular trackpad if you want it to, and has the advantages of Force Touch if you want them.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
How about bringing optical image stabilization to the 6S too while you're at it, Apple?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Nevertheless, I will consider the iPhone 6s on these conditions: it has substantially better battery life than the iPhone 5, it has no ugly antenna bands, it has no protruding camera lens, and it has a 4.2" or smaller screen.

Not sure why some people dislike Force Touch, personally I think it's easier to use from a user perspective as you can click anywhere on the trackpad, and it's absolutely incredible from an engineering perspective.

JFazYankees

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012

Then you can forget about it.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
My Wish List for iPhone 6s:
2GB Ram
Non-protruding camera lens
Increased battery life (my 6 is just fine but you can always get better)
Sleep/Wake Button moved up about .25-.5" (I always seem to push it when pressing the volume buttons)
iPhone 6s to have rotatable home screen as the Plus does.

I'm not really looking forward to Force Touch as I haven't liked it on the MacBook and Apple Watch so far when playing with it.

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
Other than screen resolution and battery size there should be no other differences. Period!!!
Technically it should be possible to give the 4.7" a 1080p display but I can understand.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

Looks like somebody is not getting a 6S. 4.2" or smaller screen. tehe.

Other than screen resolution and battery size there should be no other differences. Period!!!
Technically it should be possible to give the 4.7" a 1080p display but I can understand.

Should be? It is possible. Though it may be more difficult for Apple to do so and maintain current battery life and their penchant for a thinner profile.

ayala421

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2010
Force Touch Blows

It Blows...haven't really seen force touch benefit my MacBook Pro usage or experience.

Its not magical.

Mohali

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2015
Home button or screen?

That sounds interesting depending on what part of the phone they are talking about.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This is good news but I always thought that first report of Force Touch being 6 Plus only was BS. I'm not really a fan of Apple only adding features to the 6 Plus if they can also be easily added to the smaller iPhone (no issues with battery, thickness, etc). I'm fine with the 6 Plus being slightly faster since it has a bigger battery to cope with it, or maybe getting a feature like always-on "Hey Siri" because it again has a big battery. But artificial limits irritate me. Not everyone wants a huge iPhone, but they still want a flagship iPhone. I'd be willing to pay $50 more, or even the same price as the Plus, to get the same features it has if it really is all about cost for Apple. But in the case of Force Touch it doesn't make any sense to put it on only one iPhone, probably the iPad, and the MacBooks and have the majority of users not experience it and get used to the functionality which will probably add quite a few enhancements to the OS.

I've used the new MacBook twice and the only thing that irritates me about Force Touch is how flimsy the trackpad is on the new MacBooks. When I click down on it with my finger the part at the top starts separating from the case of the MacBook itself. Seems like poor craftsmanship because they tried to make it too thin. Otherwise it works well and feels strange but good.

I have a feeling that we're going to see quite a bit of new gestures using Force Touch in iOS 9. Maybe even some that allow customization of certain elements that weren't possible before, or bringing up more contextual information, like the way it works on the Apple Watch and MacBook. I also think that Force Touch may be key to activating the split screen multitasking mode on the new iPads, which would suck for people like me who have an Air 2 that is plenty capable of split-screen multitasking with a tri-core CPU and 2GB of RAM. I just have a feeling that it will be for new iPads only because the iPad sales have been a little rough lately and Apple needs something to push people, especially enterprise users to upgrade.

Time Less

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Planet Earth
Is the taptic engine necessary for force touch? Can Apple enable this using software? If developers are going to design apps to use this feature I think most iPhones should be able use the it too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.