Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today Apple briefly reiterated on Apple Pay's success in the United States, mentioning upcoming support for Discover credit cards and new expansive partners coming soon. The company also announced that Apple Pay will be coming to the United Kingdom, with 250,000 UK merchants launching support of the service in July.

Those 250,000 confirmed supporters of the mobile wallet in the UK exceed even the United States' 200,000 when Apple Pay launched in the states last year. Apple also confirmed that UK users will be able to commute and pay for fares on London's Underground with Apple Pay, and that when the service launches in the UK next month, it will support eight of the "most established banks" in the country.

f1433785631.jpg

"Apple Pay has quickly become a big part of millions of users' everyday shopping routines, providing a simpler, faster and more secure way to pay," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "We're thrilled to bring Apple Pay to the UK with support at launch from the most popular banks, an incredible roster of merchants and many of our users' favorite apps."
In addition to expanded United Kingdom support, the company confirmed that store credit and debit cards would be arriving in iOS 9, with store cards offering unique membership benefits. Kohl's and JCPenney are amongst the first supporters of the membership service, with the company promising that loyalty and rewards cards are coming soon too.

Specifically, companies like Coca-Cola, Dunkin' Donuts, and Panera Bread will be among the first to bring a rewards program to users with Apple Pay. Apple ended its Apple Pay briefing by confirming Passbook would be renamed to 'Wallet,' a one-stop-shop for all of a user's credit and debit cards, loyalty cards, boarding passes, and more.

Article Link: Apple Pay Coming to the United Kingdom Next Month, Discover Card Support Arriving This Fall

Reactions: hfletcher

Davk87

Suspended
Oct 26, 2014
England
No Barclays? They are usually the first to adopt this kind of thing.

Very shocked. Time for a new bank account.

I'm not surprised were next however. All stores have the ability for contact less and have done for some time. The ability to use Apple pay in all of Londons public transport. Is HUGE!

groovyf

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Halifax, UK
Just wanted to check whether I missed the fact Barclays weren't in that list of UK banks... seems I didn't miss it!
Weird, as by all accounts Barclaycard customers in the US can use Apple Pay.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
In terms of Barclays Bank I was invited to participate in a survey with them... Stated that I was using iPhone and told me it was for Android device users only so don't be surprised if Android Pay and Barclays are striking up an exclusivity deal!

Reactions: Asthmatic Kitty

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
So:

"Bringing Apple Pay to the UK.

In July. Ulster Bank, NatWest, Amex, Santander, RBS, Nationwide, HSBC, First Direct. 70% of credit and debit cards in the UK.

250,000 UK merchant locations, more than we started with in the US.

Will be able to commute and pay for fares on London's Underground with Apple Pay."

Halifax, TSB, Lloyds, M&S Bank and mbna were also shown on screen.

Hooray! That 250,000 figure means that it will work everywhere that currently takes contactless. Which is pretty fantastic.

Last edited:

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
So:

"Bringing Apple Pay to the UK.

In July. Ulster Bank, NatWest, Amex, Santander, RBS, Nationwide, HSBC, First Direct. 70% of credit and debit cards in the UK.

250,000 UK merchant locations, more than we started with in the US.

Will be able to commute and pay for fares on London's Underground with Apple Pay."

Hooray! Is 250,000 everywhere that currently takes contactless?!

No Barclays at launch :(

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
First Direct and Amex. That's me sorted. Yay!

Hopefully the momentum will pull other banks in quickly too...

Reactions: judethat

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Was really hoping to hear about Canada with my upgrade coming up this fall after the 6s launch.

Feels like Canada is getting left out more and more lately. We're already paying more for the devices and now we're getting fewer features to go along with them.
The price has more to do with the poor currency conversion than anything Apple has against us. Everything else feels like Apple hates us though.

Reactions: AppleInLVX

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
I really suspect Canada being left out has more to do with our banks than Apple.

Can we hope that they mention something about it in the fall when the new iPhone is announced? I was really hoping for them to say "...And Canada later this year!" so at least it was official. I don't mind waiting, but it'd be nice to know there is an end in sight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.