Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has issued a note to investors, a copy of which was obtained by Japanese blog Mac Otakara, in which he corroborates rumors that the next-generation iPhone will adopt 7000 Series aluminum as used in the Apple Watch Sport. Kuo also claimed that Apple will retain the same design as the iPhone 6, although the smartphone may have slightly different dimensions.

Aluminum-7000-Apple-800x363.png

The report claims that the next-generation iPhone could be wider and taller by about 0.15mm to account for the stronger 7000 Series aluminum design, while the smartphone may also be about 0.2mm thicker due to the addition of Force Touch. The new dimensions are marginal enough that most iPhone 6 users are unlikely to notice much of a difference with the so-called "iPhone 6s" design.

Apple explains the properties of 7000 Series aluminum on its Apple Watch website:
"For Apple Watch Sport, we started with 7000 Series aluminum -- the same used in competition bicycles. We altered it to create a new alloy that's just as light, yet even more durable -- it's 60 percent stronger than most aluminum, and one-third the density of stainless steel. It has a bright, lustrous colour and a uniform structure free of defects and impurities. Each case is machined and polished, then blasted with microscopic zirconia beads to achieve a consistent, satin texture. A special anodizing process creates a hard, clear outer layer that helps protect against scratches and corrosion."
Kuo reiterated that the next-generation iPhone will be available in a new Rose Gold color option, similar to the rose gold Apple Watch Edition, and also claimed that the existing gold color could be changed to look more like the yellow gold Apple Watch Edition. The existing space gray iPhone is also expected to look slightly more black, possibly in line with the space black Apple Watch.

Last month, Kuo shared a long list of predictions for the next-generation iPhone, including an A9 processor with 2GB of RAM, Force Touch, an improved 12-megapixel rear-facing camera, new Rose Gold color option, improved Touch ID recognition, gesture control support and more. Apple will likely retain 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch screen sizes akin to the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPhone Again Rumored to Adopt 7000 Series Aluminum

Reactions: LucasEVille

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Anything that makes the phone stronger and more durable is fine by me.

Also, it's not obvious visually. It's exactly the kind of improvement Apple adds: Something that makes the haters chime "Apple never changes anything!" despite being a nice upgrade over what came before.

Reactions: Vanilla35

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
I just find it interesting that the iPhone 5 was black, then made into "space gray" for the 5S... And now that's just reverted this time around. #innovation

Reactions: Vanilla35

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Last month, Kuo shared a long list of predictions for the next-generation iPhone, including an A9 processor with 2GB of RAM, Force Touch, an improved 12-megapixel rear-facing camera, new Rose Gold color option, improved Touch ID recognition, gesture control support and more. Apple will likely retain 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch screen sizes akin to the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

I would love to know how much Kuo gets paid to state things that even someone living under a rock would have been able to make a good guesstimate upon.

Reactions: imageWIS

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
BLACK IS COMING BACK. I'm pumped :)
I'm not. While I generally prefer black, my black iPhone 5 was much more prone to scratches than my space gray iPhone 6 and my black iPad Mini for testing at work is much more prone to scratches than my space gray iPad Air 2. If they can somehow make the anodization process more scratch resistant then great, but for now I'd prefer it if they didn't make the new iPhone easier to see scratches. At least they should give an option for a black front bezel with the plain aluminum back from the white models.

As for the rest of the article, making the casing stronger is only good news. I doubt it will mess too much with existing cases either as the iPad Mini 2 and 3 are slightly different thickness than the original Mini but they still share accessories.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.