Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just a few days after updating the terms of its AppleCare+ Protection Plan for iPhone, iPad, iPod and Apple Watch to cover batteries that retain less than 80% of their original capacity within the extended warranty period, Apple has extended the same policy to the AppleCare Protection Plan for the MacBook, MacBook Air and MacBook Pro.

AppleCare-MacBook1.jpg

Apple previously only replaced defective batteries under the old terms of the AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac, but a support page updated today now outlines that the company will also replace a MacBook's battery at no charge if it retains less than 80% of its original capacity. If the notebook is not covered by AppleCare, replacing the battery requires paying an out-of-warranty service charge ranging between $129 and $199.

The new battery terms of the AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac:
"Your Apple One Year Limited Warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. If you purchased an AppleCare Protection Plan for your Mac notebook with a non-removable battery, Apple will replace the notebook battery at no charge if it retains less than 80 percent of its original capacity. If you do not have coverage, you can have the battery replaced for a fee."
The old battery terms of the AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac:
"Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your replacement coverage for a defective battery to three years from the date of your notebook purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan. However, the AppleCare Protection Plan for notebook computers does not cover batteries that have stopped working or are exhibiting diminished capacity due to normal use except when it is the result of a manufacturing defect."
MacBook notebooks with non-removable batteries:

MacBook (13-inch, Late 2009) and later
All MacBook Airs
All MacBook Pros with Retina display
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) and later; MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) and later

AppleCare for Mac extends the notebook's warranty coverage and telephone technical support to three years from the original date of purchase. Without an AppleCare Protection Plan, Mac customers are covered by a limited one-year warranty and 90 days of complimentary phone support. AppleCare for Mac costs between $249 and $349 depending on the MacBook Air or MacBook Pro model.

MacBook batteries are designed to retain up to 80% of their original capacity at 1000 complete charge cycles, similar to the iPad and Apple Watch.

Apple retail staff have been informed of the new policy which is effective immediately.

Article Link: AppleCare for Mac Now Covers Batteries Retaining Less Than 80% Capacity

Reactions: 997440

Arrr

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2015
With all the machines having non-removable batteries that are costing upwards of $300 to replace, I'm really glad Apple took this step. Especially with the newest machines that have soft cells glued to the top cases and whatnot.

Kudos Apple.

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
My Macbook Pro 17" (late 2011) was purchased in mid June 2012, immediately after this last 17" model was discontinued. So my AppleCare just expired a few days ago. Ugh! I would have loved to have received a new battery for this machine. Do you think it is worthwhile for me to still check with Apple about this possibility?

pureheat101

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2015
My Macbook Pro 17" (late 2011) was purchased in mid June 2012, immediately after this last 17" model was discontinued. So my AppleCare just expired a few days ago. Ugh! I would have loved to have received a new battery for this machine. Do you think it is worthwhile for me to still check with Apple about this possibility?

Never hurts to ask

Reactions: Jamalien

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
I thought this was always covered... I had my battery replaced in February because it lost only 10% of it's capacity, and said "Service Battery." Maybe that fell under "defective battery," rather than "lost capacity?"

Geekazoid

Suspended
Sep 20, 2012
Well, this is good of Apple to do this because their consumers shouldn't have to dip into their own pocket if their battery in their device, whether that be an iPad, iPhone, iPod or even a MacBook has battery problems, IMHO.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
OH THANKYOU. I spent 2 years arguing with Apple over this to get a replacement battery. My Macbook Pro 2012 came with a battery at 85 percent health and then dropped down to 75 fairly quickly. All Apple would say was "its normal" time and time again. Frankly the service battery warning 3 months into purchase is not normal.

Geekazoid

Suspended
Sep 20, 2012
OH THANKYOU. I spent 2 years arguing with Apple over this to get a replacement battery. My Macbook Pro 2012 came with a battery at 85 percent health and then dropped down to 75 fairly quickly. All Apple would say was "its normal" time and time again. Frankly the service battery warning 3 months into purchase is not normal.

Is your MacBook Pro still under warranty? If so, you could now get it fixed.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011

I'd take it in. Worst they can say is, "nope."

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
A pleasant surprise from Apple, I must say I'm slightly surprised they yielded on this matter. Regardless great news for many Apple users out there!

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Does this include any MacBook with AppleCare+ purchased prior to today?

Yes. Anyone currently still under AppleCare+ qualifies.

My 2006 MacBook does not qualify however, since (a) It's well beyond the AppleCare+ time frame, and (b) I never got AppleCare+ for it. It still works great if plugged in though! :)

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Yes. Anyone currently still under AppleCare+ qualifies.

My 2006 MacBook does not qualify however, since (a) It's well beyond the AppleCare+ time frame, and (b) I never got AppleCare+ for it. It still works great if plugged in though! :)

No anything with Applecare :p Applecare + is only for iPhone, iPad, iPod and Applewatch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.