$19.95 for Jag is total crap...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Captnroger, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Captnroger macrumors regular

Alright, so I plop down a little over $2100 for a new 17" iMac this weekend at my local Apple store. Forgot to ask about 10.2, just assumed I would be able to pick it up at my Apple store free of charge since I just bought this iMac. (like I did the 10.1 update which was also $10-20 bucks through the mail if I remember correctly). I forgot to ask this when I bought it so I called this morning:

Me - "I just bought the new iMac this weekend, am I entitled to a free update to 10.2 later this month?"

Apple - "Yes, but you have to pay $19.95 shipping from Apple."

Me - "I can't just pick it up there like I did the 10.1 update?"

Apple - "No, you have to call Apple to order."

Me - "OK, thanks."

So I'm thinking, alright, so maybe I'll get it early from Apple since it's already being boxed up and at the very least I'll have it on release day since it is being shipped from the manufacturer. So, I call Apple.

Me - "I just bought a new iMac this weekend, calling to order 10.2"

Apple - "Sure, takes all my information. Your total with tax is $21 and some change. I need a CC now."

Me - "Sure, and you are shipping the updates overnight express, correct?"

Apple - "No sir, we are shipping the US Mail."

Me - "Express service?"

Apple - "No sir, regular service?"

Me - "You're charging me $19.95 plus tax to send me 2-3 CDs via regular mail? <meanwhile thinking to myself Steve Jobs must be packing these himself...>"

Apple - "Yes sir."

Me - "Can you tell me when it will ship?"

Apple - "The updates will ship within 24 hours of release date, which is the 24th of August."

Me - "So you mean to tell me I have to wait another 7-10 business days after release to receive my upgrade when I just spent over $2100 on this computer?"

Apple - "<getting frustrated with my attitude> There's nothing I can do about that sir."

So I ordered anyways, as I sure as heck ain't paying $129 just to get it on release day. At any rate, this is total total BS...I don't know what kind of packaging they are using, or how much it is costing them to get these ready to ship (handling costs), but I'd venture a guess that it isn't any more than 7-8 bucks each, leaving them a healthy 120% profit on each 'upgrade'.

I'm sorry, this is total crap. The least they can do is ship it to their retailers and let the consumer decide (ala 10.1).

Sorry, just a bit hot under the collar right now. It's not the $20 bucks, it's the principle of the thing. :mad:

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Hmmm...

You could have read the fine print, BEFORE you bought.

You could have waited until 10.2 was included, BEFORE you bought.

You could have asked about 10.2 at the Apple Store, BEFORE you bought.

But now that you've bought, I have a thought...

Nah, I better not.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

ROFLMFAO! We have a poet!

4. Captnroger thread starter macrumors regular

LOL @ Sun Baked, very good!

I guess I wasn't clear. I wouldn't have waited until 10.2 was released to purchase the new box, not after waiting since MWNY to get it. My point is, if they are going to charge $19.95 for 'shipping', it should be overnighted, and received on release day, not 7-10 business days following. I feel Apple is scraping the cream off the top and yielding a small profit. The general practice of most software companies is a free or low-cost update. While $20 does qualify as 'low-cost', it's rediculous they are going to ship it via regular post office service. Heck, even when I was having a problem switching to OS9 in the OSX startup they overnighted me a free copy of OS9 because they suspected I had a bad CD <which I did not>.

That's what most other software houses do. I ordered WCIII for example through Blizzard, paid for overnight shipping, and had it on release day.

I just don't feel it's fair to make customers who recently bought wait a week or longer to receive their updates.

5. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

it's not a "free" up date...it's called the "up-to-date" program where apple is offering a reduced price on the operating system as a a "thank you" for buying and not receving it installed on your machine...and for an extra couple bucks you could have it shipped 2-day priority mail instead of regular mail...you are supposed to inquire about that kind of stuff. and the operating system is NOT boxed up yet...they are still trying to approve the final build of the system so you don't have any bugs in it...

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They could price it differently, such as:

$12.95 for 10.2 and
    $7.00 for shipping and handling.

It would still cost the same but be less inflammatory.

I would have thought that Apple would have changed its method of pricing upgrades after the last P.R. mess, but they continue to drone on, as do we.

7. lizardflix macrumors newbie

campaign

Its part of the new FU Different campaign.

8. Captnroger thread starter macrumors regular

Well I must say I am surprised by the responses received to my initial post, but certainly respect your opinions.

9. Mr Jobs macrumors regular

wicked...really good:D :D :D

10. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

That's Just not true, I don't even want to talk about Macromedia design Studio upgrade prices. not to mention every other major software program. I can't thank of any less than $300. And the OS is the biggest kid on the block, so its actualy reasonable.

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Well, Captnroger, you also could have paid attention to all of the news around MWNY. Then you would have KNOWN exactly what would happen if you purchased a system BEFORE 8/24. If you purchase one after 8/24, then you would have 10.2 for nothing extra. IF, by some freak of nature, it didn't come with 10.2 installed, then you could have gone for a free update.

Hell, I would gladly pay ~$20 +shipping to get 10.2. I would opt for a faster shipping method, to get it faster. Even if that cost more then the 10.2 upgrade did.

Sun Baked, that has to be one of the best poems/posts I have seen in some time. :D

12. Captnroger thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, this should give me a license to b*tch...

Check out this guy on this thread:

17" imac with OS X 10.2

Now, alright, I get my 17" from the Apple store here in town on 8/10 and it doesn't have the 10.2 upgrade (8/10 is a Saturday). This guy gets his via shipping apparently from Apple on 8/12 and it INCLUDES the 10.2 upgrade IN THE BOX. What the heck gives here? I mean, come on, they have to ship from the same source, the probably shipped nearly the same time, why would his have a 10.2 update included and mine (and many others) would not.

did anyone else get their 17" with the 10.2 update included?

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Actually, you DON'T know when the computer you got from the Apple RETAIL store arrived there... It could have been the week of MWNY, it could have been weeks before, or a week ago. WE ALL heard how there were TON's of the new iMac's in warehouses, just taking up space (demand wasn't that high). WHY are you surprised that you purchased a system when you KNEW you wouldn't get the next version of OS X for free??? Remember, until it ships on systems, you won't get it before 8/24, and if you got a system BEFORE 8/24 that didn't have it, you could get it for ~$20...

Wake up, look back at ALL of the announcements and discussions about 10.2 and realize how much of an ass you are making yourself to be by bitching about something THIS MORONIC!! :rolleyes:

14. Captnroger thread starter macrumors regular

Man, you always so quick to jump on someone?

For your information, I know for a fact that my local Apple store didn't have them because I called them Monday of that week, nothing, called them Thursday after the first reports starting hitting on the Net that they were shipping, nada. Called them Saturday morning because most Apple stores had then Friday, nothing. Saturday afternoon they called me saying their shipment just arrived, and mine was there (one of 16). That's how I know it wasn't there before Saturday. This was an Apple store, not some other apple retailer.

anyways, I'm getting tired of the grief I'm getting here about my post, so I'll shut up now. I just don't understand why Apple would include the update in some new imacs (and now the new Powermacs) and not others, that's all. Especially those received two days apart.

15. macsurfer macrumors regular

16. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Moan

Stop complaining. If $19.95 is such a big deal, you should have at least waited until after Aug 24th.

17. lizardflix macrumors newbie

didn't you realize...

Captnroger,

You broke the cardinal rule of posting on Mac boards. Don't dare complain about apple. You are experiencing the cyber version of a lynch mob.

Anyway, when my girlfriend bought a pc just weeks before the last big MS system software change and I realized what had happened, we took it back to the store for a refund (they have a 30 day money back, no questions policy), turned around and bought a new system with the new OS.

bb

18. Urdam macrumors member

I agree. $20 for a couple of f u c king CDs is bulls h i t. I know Apple wants us to think different, but I don't want to think like a moron. I would complain if I were you.

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Based on your posts, I would have guessed your birthday as being 23 days earlier.

20. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

OH, COME ON

really.
    if you had the cash to plop down for a new imac as soon as it came out, you might as well pay another 20 dollors to have the os.
    seriouslly, why do you all need to bitch about things.
    be happy for the new powermacs
    be happy for the new iMacs (especally if you happen to own one)
    be happy for jaguar
    and of you have a qualm with them dont start a thread calling a HUGELY discounted price crap.
    if you wanna pay the full cost, im sure steve will let you.

21. Urdam macrumors member

No, my post was based on pure simple logic. I don't know about you, but I don't like being ripped of. And yes, even if Apple is the one who is getting the money.

22. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

Hell...

If i were you and i was on the phone with that Apple dude, i would have canceled my order, and said screw you then reordered a new dual 867 for the same price, and got 10.2 installed...better than screwing yourself....maybe its not too late.

23. Captnroger thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip Lizardfix, little did I realize what I was stirring up when I created this post. I think I've learned my lesson, and I'll shut-up now! :(

24. Captnroger thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip Lizardfix, little did I realize what I was stirring up when I created this post. I think I've learned my lesson, and I'll shut-up now! :(

25. Raiden macrumors regular

If you just spent 2100 bucks on a computer, whats another 20? Stop complaining; just remember the poor saps who have to spend 130 for it. (Im not trying to be a jerk here)

Not me tho, I got a educational discount! :) But its still 70 bucks...:(