19" Hyundai LCD for $350?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nagromme, Jun 1, 2005.

1. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I was thinking of getting a cheap 17" DVI LCD for a secondary computer--and sometimes for use with my PowerBook maybe. But I see this on sale--and I like that it rotates portrait/landscape:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824179014

Good deal? (I'm shopping low-end, not for top color accuracy.)

I don't mind that the res is the same as 17"--but that means it should be compared with other 1280x1024 units.

I'm also looking at Sonys and Dells, and am not in any hurry (except for this one being on 1-day sale). Most cheap units don't seem to rotate like that.

TIA

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Although it doesn't rotate. Dell has a good deal on their e193 19" LCD for $265 + tax (where applicable) using the code FMWRMBP0RVH6W6 in the small business store.

Only down side is its analog only - but you can't beat the price.

3. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

On a good day, you can get the Dell 1905FP for $300 + tax. On a really good day, you can get the Dell 1905FP for $260 + tax. It has all of the bells and whistles including 4 USB ports, swivel, height adjustment, portrait mode, tilt, DVI and VGA input and built in power supply. It is also an 8-bit panel which allows for greater color accuracy.

Check out the review of it over at anandtech.com and watch http://www.techbargains.com/dellcoupons.cfm and http://www.xpbargains.com/dell_coupons/ for Dell coupon codes.

4. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Thanks, kingjr3, I'll think about that. DVI is something I want to have, though, for "future-proofing." The extra 2" don't matter either way to me... a little easier on the eyes, but a little more space taken up. It's a wash.

So I guess I'm really looking at the Hyundai for the rotation--and it's probably not worth the price just for that gimmick, when I can get various 1280x1024 17" displays for under $300. But I have a few hours to think about it :)

Also, style is SOME concern (to the tune of under $50) since it will be in my office where I meet people sometimes. That's one reason I was looking at Sony's--they weren't quote as hideous from the back as others, and didn't cost much more. This Hyundai is OK from the front, but definitely (like Dell) in the "hideous" camp from the back :p There's just something about sticking that next to a shiny white eMac... I care about my carpet and my paintings and my furniture, so why not my hardware?

FWIW here's a silver Sony I've been eyeing:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824006080

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I know someone with a Hyundai plasma TV that loves it so the monitor cant be too bad.

6. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Here's that Dell review--it does sound good. I wonder if there's a cheaper 17" version with identical features?

That review:
    http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2332

The Dell plus a can of spraypaint might be the way to go :D I will probably have time over the next months (no hurry like I said) to play the obnoxious Dell coupon game.

7. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

The Dell 1704FPT is similar and has most (if not all) of the features of the 1905FP.

Edit: With a little patience and some Dell coupon codes, you should be able to get this one shipped for $200-$230 + tax.

8. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Good to know.

Oh, dear... I'm going to have to navigate Dell.com now, aren't I?

Machete? Check!

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

One more thing. Depending on your budget, I would highly recommend the Dell 2005FPW 20.1" widescreen. This one does swivel and has both VGA and DVI connections, along with the USB 2 hub. View from behind is relatively clean as well.

I recently scored one for $426, but you have to be obsessive with the sites that topgunn mentioned. The coupons usually last for a few hours until they are maxed out.

10. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I think the absolute lowest I've seen the 2005fpw is $386... which is just insane. It's a great monitor and worth that price.

11. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

i thought i'd NEVER EVER say this, but dude...get a dell.

widescreen monitors are beautiful and from what i've heard, the 2005FPW is as good or better as the Apple display. totally worth the added cost...

12. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I remember. Not too long after that there was a few for sale in the marketplace from people trying to turn a quick buck. I tried to score one here, but no takers, so I waited for the coupons that "would never happen again." Technically, I paid $405, and sales tax took me up to $426.

Keep your eyes open.

Attached Files:

13. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Thanks.

Since I'm saving up for more important things like a PowerMac with Cinema Display, I think I'll aim cheap for now and not spring for the 20".

But if the Dell 19" can really be found for $260 if your timing's right, I'll go for it!

If not, the 17" for low $200s is a nice second-best.

14. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

NM. I see. Yeh... a 17" would be good for a second monitor...

I don't see the dell deals right now... but I'll make sure to post if I catch one this weekend.

15. aldo macrumors regular

Firstly, DVI doesn't mean it's a digital connection. DVI also carries the regular VGA analog signal along with it, many of these so called 'DVI' TFTs have nothing more than a 10 cent 'convertor' and just feed it in as a normal analog signal.

So, in the case of you not having a DVI port on a computer, go and get a 50 cent adaptor and plug it in - it'll work fine.

DVI is very much overhyped. It presents very, very few advantages over VGA, especially at such low resolutions.

Secondly, don't ever bother future proofing computers. In the next 3 years when you want a new screen you'll find that everything is a fraction of the current price and much bigger in terms of screen size.

16. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

That's OK, I'm looking now but my deadline is "sometime this summer" :)

So I'll start watching the coupons in a couple of weeks and see what turns up!

I'm also hoping my next LCD will work on my Amiga... but that's a problem for another forum!

17. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

A friend of mine got the 19" Hyundai one you are thinking about, and it's really really good. Color is very vibrant, and bright. It's about as good as my iMac G5's 20" display, but the response time is better. I haven't had any good experiences with dell LCDs, so I can't recommend them.

18. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

I dont know...I may be incorrect, but isnt this the company that makes cheap japanese cars? I would stick with name brands such as viewsonic or samsung. I do not like Dell, for other reasons, but the non name brands tend to die out quickly...

19. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

I don't know if the name Hyundai means a relationship with the car company... I seem to recall yes, not that their cars would have much to do with their electronics quality. But I believe Hyundai the car company is known these days for making inexpensive GOOD cars, some even recommended by Consumer Reports. The infamous Excel is long, long gone.