19-inch iMac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Shrek, Aug 12, 2002.

?

If it existed, would you buy a 19-inch widescreen iMac?

1. Absolutely!

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Most likely.

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Not likely.

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. I don't think so!

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. Um... It depends.

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Don't ask! :mad:

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

A 19-inch widescreen iMac would be way cool. I'm hoping Apple comes out with a model sometime this year and at the same time (or sooner than) the IBM Power4 G5 is available for the iMac. Extra features I'd like to see on such a model is a GeFORCE4 Ti video card, for a fast, crisp, clear, high resolution display.

So, if Apple did come out with a 19-inch iMac, would you buy one? Why or why not?

Discuss.

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I have a 15-inch iMac. So... nope.

irmongoose

3. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I doubt it...and it would also make it look a bit out of proportion...

4. danman macrumors member

the 17" is big enough, and as big as the consumer line will ever get for a long time to come.

5. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

What!?

Oh please! That steel pole has its limits too! hee :) hee

Well I think 17'' is big enough, besides isn't their a VGA out port?:confused:

6. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Re: What!?

only video mirroring available. apple likes to castrate consumer machines to force you to buy a powerxxx

7. iGav macrumors G3

A 19" LCD iMac G5 should be out in December, with delivery by Santa Claus.......:p :p :p

8. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

nah, 17" is good enough, concidering its widescreen n 17" is perfect for me, but 23" n so would be just good for professional stuff ;)

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It won't happen with the current technology. The screen would be a little heavy and the base would need to be heavier, or it would fall over (or have more potential to fall over).

If OLED displays come out soon, there wont be any need for glass in the display, so it will significantly lighten the load.

But this is pretty much not going to happen any time soon.

D

10. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

although i agree it will not happen i must disagree with the thought that it is physically impossible to add a 19" to the imac. if you have seen the 17" you will know that there does not seem to be any problem with weight. i am confident you could add a 22" and it would be adequately supported.

11. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Anything greater than a 17" would practically double the price of the imac. The only reason apple added the 17" lcd is because it is only about $200 more than a 15" to produce. How many people would be willing to pay $2700-3000 for an iMac?

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I agree it can support the larger screen, but that's not my point. It becomes an issue that the base would have to be made heavier to add more stability. Imagine the screen all the way extended forward - if you accidentally knock into it (which I'm sure you can agree can't ever be ruled out) it can tip over. The more weight, the easier to tip.

How would you feel if you knocked your 19" iMac to the floor?

D

13. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

have you played with a 17" imac duke? they are extremely stable. that base is very wide and very heavy. more than adequate to handle a larger screen. the pictures can be deceiving, apple shoots them to make the base look tiny, but its a pretty good hunk of computer.

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've been to the local Apple Store and played with them. I know its stable, but if you force the screen down it will raise the back end off the table.

I'll go tomorrow, when the new G4s show up, and test it out again. But figure that a 19" is going to be taller and wider than the current model. I wonder if I brought in a bunch of weights tied to a string and started testing to see how much weight it would take to tip it over, what would the Apple Store employees think.....

D

15. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

hm dont know what you mean by force the screen down. i have to put an awful lot of pressure on the front end of my imac (right no to test) to get it to begin to lift up. and my imac sits about 2 inches over the edge of the table (dont ask @_@)

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Better to have one of the flexible displays, but then, we'd need a flexible keyboard too.

MacRollups!! :D

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

that base on the 15" inch is amazingly stable...maybe they would have to add weight to base and beef up arm for the 19"

the key would be to keep all product under 2 grand

15 in - 1199
    17 in - 1599
    19 in - 1999