Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pilotgi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
It was bound to happen sooner or later:

"This may be the biggest notebook computer you would ever want to carry around. If you thought a 17" notebook display was huge, think again: Ibuypower has begun offering a laptop system with a 19" screen. The devices comes with two Nvidia GeForce graphics cards running in SLI mode and weighs a record-breaking 20 pounds."

Not including the battery!

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/05/06/ibuypower_19inch_sli_notebook/

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Wow!!! 1680x1050 resolution! Upgradeable to 2GB! And only 20 lb (not including power adapter).

Man, when will Apple come out with something like that? :rolleyes:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
For the record, the 12" iBook G4 is pretty much the biggest notebook I'll ever want to carry around (again). ;) No thanks on a 20lb notebook. And especially when they didn't even manage to get more than 1680x1050 out of the screen? What's the point? :rolleyes:

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Gee, I always wanted a laptop that could break my back
when I pick it up. :rolleyes:

That laptop makes almost all 17" laptops actually look super portable! :eek: ;) :)

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Being that it has great graphics, this would be good for people who go to LAN parties. Even at 20 lbs, it's way more portable than a tower (even a small one) and a monitor with the same size screen . I bet this is their target market.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
dmw007 said:
Gee, I always wanted a laptop that could break my back
when I pick it up. :rolleyes:

Mmmm, you know what really scares me? I just looked it up on Apple-History, and my iMac G5 / 17" with a wireless keyboard and mouse could give this thing a run for its money, weightwise.... Wow.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
without even looking it sounds like acer. I had a 17" full screen acer 3.2 256mb vid 2 gig ram with battery it was 14 lbs. I nearly wound up at the doctors for that crap. loved the machine, but hated the weight.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
According to the official website it is only 14.55 pounds WITH battery :rolleyes:

ibuypower19in.jpg

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
except for the dual 7800s (which is impressive, I grant you), this thing has nothing on the 17" MBP. Purely for gamers who don't really want to be mobile but want to be able to take this to LAN parties i guess... :rolleyes:

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
grapes911 said:
Being that it has great graphics, this would be good for people who go to LAN parties. Even at 20 lbs, it's way more portable than a tower (even a small one) and a monitor with the same size screen . I bet this is their target market.

Which is pretty small market.

Cool anyways, alot of power. No use to me though, I prefer the portability of the iBook. :)

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
humm...very...portable!

who would ever take that anywhere with them and so renders it pointless!

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mkrishnan said:
Mmmm, you know what really scares me? I just looked it up on Apple-History, and my iMac G5 / 17" with a wireless keyboard and mouse could give this thing a run for its money, weightwise.... Wow.

That is scary....

...but have we not come to expect this sort of thing from the PeeCee world? ;) :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
QCassidy352 said:
Purely for gamers who don't really want to be mobile but want to be able to take this to LAN parties i guess... :rolleyes:

Some people really don't move their PBs or iBooks much, though, so it's not just WinPC laptops. And yes, some people buy powerful machines to play games. In fact, it's a large market.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
QCassidy352 said:
except for the dual 7800s (which is impressive, I grant you), this thing has nothing on the 17" MBP. Purely for gamers who don't really want to be mobile but want to be able to take this to LAN parties i guess... :rolleyes:
Seems like a great fit for LAN parties. Sure beats carrying a CPU, monitor, keyboard, mouse and appropriate cables.

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
I dunno...give me a 19" MacBook with twin dualcore processors, two blisteringly fast & enormous 3.5" HDs instead of a single 2.5, two CardBus slots instead of one, an expansion bay that could take a second battery or a second optical drive, two DVI ports instead of just one so as to provide native support for 3 concurrent screens, ...

...naah, I think I'd rather have the extra gizmos and ports incorporated into a smaller form factor. I've got a 17" and I love it but it's freaking huge when I try to use it as, literally, a laptop.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
ahunter3 said:
...naah, I think I'd rather have the extra gizmos and ports incorporated into a smaller form factor. I've got a 17" and I love it but it's freaking huge when I try to use it as, literally, a laptop.

:)

I thought we were going to lose you there for a moment! :eek: ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.