Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple said to unveil its long-rumored 12.9-inch iPad Pro in November, many assumed that both the iPad mini 3 and iPad Air 2 would see refreshes as well. However, a new report from Economic Daily News [Translation] (via Macotakara [Translation]) says that no new iPad Air will be revealed.

ipad-air-2-group.jpg

While the iPad Air 2 may not see a refresh, the iPad mini 4 and iPad Pro will see introductions. Liaoxian Li, investment advisor at Fubon Hardware, tells Economic Daily News that Apple may want the attention on the new iPad Pro and thus will let its main assembly plant for iPads, Foxconn, focus on the Pro to maximize deployment capacity. Li believes a new iPad Air might not be released until 2016. Economic Daily News has a mixed track record on rumors and the accuracy of this particular analyst isn't known.

Additionally, the report claims that the new iPad mini might be the last one as the Apple wants to focus on the two larger iPads in the future. Many people were disappointed with the iPad mini update in 2014, which essentially added Touch ID to the existing iPad mini 2. The next iPad mini will likely be more of an upgrade, with a rumored rear shell featuring iPad Air 2 design elements already making the rounds.

While it's possible Apple won't upgrade the iPad Air 2 this year, the company has been constraining supplies of the iPad Air to third-party retailers, suggesting the iPad Air 2 would become the lower-cost option as an iPad Air 3 slots into Apple's tablet lineup. However, it's possible Apple introduces an iPad Air 3 with minimal additions, as it did with the iPad mini 3.

Article Link: Sketchy Report Claims No New iPad Air in 2015, One Last iPad Mini

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hmm. Any chance we might see an official Apple pressure-sensitive stylus to go with this iPad "Pro"? Because, you know, us "Pros" who like to use the iPad for sketching/drawing would love something that actually works, with palm recognition and Wacom-like functionality. Or, when will Apple just up and buy Wacom?

I think you're onto something. in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they intentionally promote the bigger tablet for professionals only with a stylus (iPad pro as the name maybe?) and promote the Mini & Air models for consumers.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Additionally, the report claims that the new iPad mini might be the last one as the Apple wants to focus on the two larger iPads in the future.

If the idea is to eventually focus on 2 iPad's on;y, with neither being the mini, wouldn't introducing the "Pro" alongside an iPad Air 3 be more logical? That way the new "Air" could fit into the price-point of the mini and the new "Pro" take over from where the "Air" was.

Reactions: LucasEVille

Denmac1

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Lost in Space
Time to trim the line up. Apple needs to clean up the amount of iPad products offered. Personally, I never saw the need for the mini, although it seems that there are many that like it.
Glad I went ahead and bought my Air 2. Very happy with it. I know there are those that are looking at the Pro, but if I was going for that size, I believe I would go for a laptop. With that said, there could be a potential market in Enterprise for the Pro, especially based on Apple's renewed partnership with IBM.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
I don't understand the hate towards the mini. I love mine. It is way more portable than when I had an iPad. Why can't we have three?

I had an iPad first off and found reading on it awkward, it put a strain on my wrist when hosting it with one hand. So I opted for a Mini and love it. It has been around the world with me twice so far.

If the mini goes.... well its a Kindle next for me.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Apple is just being stubborn at this point. They know the next step is to make the iPad more than a large iPhone/iPod Touch but they just don't want to do that. So instead the marketing team is thinking up of ways on how to sell a new ipad that does nothing new.

8012R3

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
If the idea is to eventually focus on 2 iPad's on;y, with neither being the mini, wouldn't introducing the "Pro" alongside an iPad Air 3 be more logical? That way the new "Air" could fit into the price-point of the mini and the new "Pro" take over from where the "Air" was.

Apple will never give the consumer more product for less money. The Pro version, will set its own price point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.