Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Beats 1 radio station was recently updated to give users access to full replays of radio segments, with a new Beats 1: Replay feature. As highlighted by MacStories, Replay covers several Beats 1 shows, including those by Zane Lowe, Julie Adenuga, and Ebro Darden, letting users re-listen to a missed segment.

Since Apple Music's debut, there's been an option on Beats 1 radio to listen to playlists of songs by each DJ after a show ends, but there was often no way to listen to a full show with guests and commentary unless you caught it on the second playthrough, 12 hours after it first aired.

beats1replay-800x707.jpg

With the change implemented in the last few days, Beats 1 users can access both a full replay that's the same as listening to a show live and a playlist of songs from each program.

Though a feature that's likely going to be welcome by many Beats 1 listeners, Replay is somewhat hidden. Re-recordings of shows can be accessed by tapping on the Beats 1 logo in Apple Music to open the list of featured shows, tapping on a DJ, and going to the "Connect" page. Alternatively, it's also possible to search for an individual DJ to access their Connect section, or to search directly with a term like "Julie Adenuga Replay."

Tapping on the "Beats 1: Replay" option will play the entire show in one long block, with no option to see the songs that are playing as is possible when Beats 1 radio is playing live. As MacStories points out, it's akin to listening to one long podcast. Replaying a show eliminates the ability to heart songs and add them to playlists to enhance the Apple Music listening experience, but it does give users a way to listen to one-of-a-kind content and commentary that would have previously been missed.

Since Apple Music launched, Beats 1 radio has featured a near-endless stream of exclusive content, worldwide song debuts, and artist interviews, all designed to draw in listeners. The service's most recent exclusive was MTV's announcement of the 2015 Video Music Award nominees.

Article Link: New 'Beats 1: Replay' Feature Lets Users Listen to Full Replays of Missed Shows

Reactions: Jstuts5797

caliguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Cool, but a bit half-baked. Hope that track info and liking ability is still to come, simulating the live experience.

It would also be great to skip through songs/DJ segments at will *cough*Fifth Harmony*cough*, like they're tracks in an album.

coltman75

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
A less hidden way is right on the Beats 1 page in iTunes. All the shows are there. Hopefully this will eliminate the need for a 12 hour repeat every day and fill the time with more live shows.
There isn't a 12 hour repeat. On weekdays, only 4 shows are repeated. Zane, Julie, Ebro, and the featured show of the day. Everything else is original.

On weekends, there's even less rebroadcasts.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
So far, it's failing to draw in this listener.
How do you figure? Apple hasn't released any numbers.

Personally I listen every day. Programming is varied and great. Elton John's Rocket Hour and St. Vincent's Mixtape Delivery are standout shows. All the musician run shows are great, especially Josh Homme, Q-tip and Disclosure. Overtone has fantastic music and I'm also enjoying the other DJs like Julie Adenuga Anna Lunnoe.

Charts and the LA shows in general I can take or leave.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
I keep missing those one hour breaks between the all day rap and hip hop marathons. I just tuned in a few minutes ago and it seems to be an hour long interview of a girl who came out of the closet. That's way better than just playing music.

Last edited by a moderator:

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
Most people in 2015 would call that a podcast.

I dunno, do podcasts stream live ? All the ones I know of get uploaded. (I always thought that was the main difference)

due to that nature you dont have live interaction ( requests , call-ins, etc)

I also haven't found a podcast yet that plays extended playlists of music ( there might be one out there who knows) they seem to mostly focus on commentary.

Last edited:

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
I still haven't listened to Beats 1 yet. Is it worth listening to?
Very much so. It's not perfect, it's not format specific so there are going to be songs some listeners aren't going to like at any particular moment. That's also its strength, a return to old style radio, not corporate driven playlists.

The on air talent is great, and the specialty shows are awesome. As mentioned St. Vincent's and Elton John's are standouts and worth giving you time for.

I suggest giving it a week try, I think most will find something they like.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
If you're heavy into rap/hip-hop then absolutely. If you have broad taste in music, then no.

I have a fairly broad taste in music, with a slight preference to the whole rock genre.

There is a fair balance between the mainstream genres. Julie Adenuga has had guest djs 'take listeners to rock clubs' and I surprisingly love that segment.

Zane seems to play a fair amount of different genres as well.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Agree it is slighty Hip Hop / Rap / R&B heavy. Some greater variet would be welcome. I missed any chat segments though. Especiallythe girl coming out of the closet? See now engaging chat is great on radio and is one of the reasons in the UK I enjoyradio 4, that and there are some good game shows with comedians.

I think it is a really good start to a service though and has a promising future

Explorz

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
As long as I can't stream the audio to multiple airplay devices then it is DOA for me. I can't reason why Apple hasn't been clear about why the airplay option is unavailable for beats1. Sure, I can stream audio (and all my computer sounds) through a single airplay device, but that is limiting as compared to all the other radio stations available through Apple Music that I can stream through multiple devices. And what pain to change my sound output back and forth just to listen to Beats 1.

And while my music tastes are pretty broad, just about every time I decide to give beats 1 yet another go, I find the music to be the same hip-hop/rap. It would be great if they do add more live radio stations that cater to different music tastes.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.