Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Continuing on with its "If it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone" advertising campaign, Apple today updated its YouTube channel with a new "iPhone - Photos & Videos" ad that focuses on the photographic capabilities of the iPhone.

The ad depicts an assortment of artfully arranged iPhones that display photos and videos in an assortment of different patterns. A voiceover accompanies the ad, pointing out the iPhone's popularity as a camera and its ease of use.

Every day millions of amazing photos and videos are shot with iPhone. That's because the iPhone makes it easy for everyone to shoot amazing photos and video.
The style of the video mimics the other ads that are part of this particular campaign, "Loved," "iPhone - Hardware & Software," and "Amazing Apps," all of which were released in July. As with those videos, Apple ends the "Photos & Videos" ad with the tagline "If it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone."

Apple's latest campaign is the third series of ads for the iPhone, following an initial set of comedy ads from Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake and the "Shot on iPhone 6" campaign that highlights photos captured with the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

As part of its newest advertising efforts, Apple also recently introduced a "Why There's Nothing Quite Like an iPhone" web campaign that focuses on features that differentiate the iPhone from competing devices, pointing out the iPhone's integration of hardware and software, wide range of apps, camera, resistance to malware, Touch ID, and Apple Pay.

Article Link: Apple Releases New 'Photos & Videos' iPhone Ad in Ongoing Campaign

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Takes photo on 8GB iPhone 5C.

landscape_nrm_1434543448-iphone-storage-full.jpg

"If it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone."

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The iPhone 6 camera is what pushed me to finally get a DSLR. I experienced the excessive noise reduction as detailed in this thread

The iPhone 6 quality looks amazing when viewed on the phone screen, but when you start working with the file on a 24" display or even a 15" rMBP screen, you realize how the little details (fur, grass, leaves) are lost.

pedro_martins

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2015
Portugal
Well, Apple is really hitting a nerve with this ads, stating nothing more than the absolute truth. Fortunately the market agrees.

Soon the iPhone will be the pinnacle of consumer tech for a decade. Wow.

I just wish they would cut the base storage options and build a cheaper iPhone for the masses, with student discounts.

Edgar Spayce

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
This would be great if the iPhone had a decent camera instead of the 8mp since the iPhone 4S while the competition is at 16mp minimum.

No matter what the BS photoshoped "taken with an iPhone 6" ads says, which are impossible to have with such a camera.

Duel

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
This would be great if the iPhone had a decent camera instead of the 8mp since the iPhone 4S while the competition is at 16mp minimum.

No matter what the BS photoshoped "taken with an iPhone 6" ads says, which are impossible to have with such a camera.

IPhone has a great camera don't be fooled by mp. Mp doesn't make photo look good, even my DSLR have "only" 12mp camera and it takes stunning photos.

You can take great photos with iPhone and with very few steps turning them into amazing photos, many times people have asked from me did i really took those photos with my iPhone, and i have 5S. It's not the camera which makes the photos look good, it's the shooting skills, eye for shooting and editing skills.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I just wish they would cut the base storage options and build a cheaper iPhone for the masses, with student discounts.

But why? Don't you see where that goes? To bottom-feeder territory. If you can't afford an iPhone, then you can't afford an iPhone. It's that simple. The price of the iPhone should not come down... your income bracket should go up. What can you do to improve your margins? Yes, you're a student, but how much of your student budget is wasted on coffees and donuts and crap that brings moments of joy, while you lust for an iPhone?

I say all of this while cringing at the price of my next iPhone purchase. $199 (on contract) was the sweet spot from a psychological standpoint. Shopping for one today at one of Canada's major carriers.... $478.99 for an iPhone 6, and that's with a 2-year contract! $228.99 for an iPhone 5s on a two-year contract. Neither of those prices are okay with me and my budget. My current iPhone 4 is serving my needs just fine, thank you. That said, I'll be getting the iPhone 6s when it's released. ;) But that's only because my income has improved the past few months.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Apple needs to fire at least 500 of the near 1,000 people that they hired to do their ad work and to save on Chiat Day fees. These new ads are costing Apple.

Reactions: AleXXXa

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
Apple needs to fire at least 500 of the near 1,000 people that they hired to do their ad work and to save on Chiat Day fees. These new ads are costing Apple.
Apple's ads are in general excellent, as is this one. There is a reason Apple is so successful, but the Apple haters will come up with stuff to tell us all why they are such a bad company. The reason that some people just love to hate and bash Apple, and who knows who else, totally escapes me. It's not a good or constructive hobby to have.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
The iPhone 6 camera is what pushed me to finally get a DSLR. I experienced the excessive noise reduction as detailed in this thread

The iPhone 6 quality looks amazing when viewed on the phone screen, but when you start working with the file on a 24" display or even a 15" rMBP screen, you realize how the little details (fur, grass, leaves) are lost.

that (blurry background/ loss of details) is not a problem with the iphone6 camera.. it's the physical laws of optics which cause it.. focal point/ focal length/ aperture/ and perspective (vantage point)..

basically, the closer the lens is to a subject, and the lower the light (larger aperture), longer the focal length... the greater the phenomenon will occur.

with your dslr, you'll experience this 'problem' even more.. it has a larger sensor and needs longer focal length for a similar photo as the iphone will.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London

8mp is way over 1080p HD. There's more to a camera than megapixels, though they don't hurt.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
that (blurry background/ loss of details) is not a problem with the iphone6 camera.. it's the physical laws of optics which cause it.. focal point/ focal length/ aperture/ and perspective (vantage point)..

basically, the closer the lens is to a subject, and the lower the light (larger aperture), longer the focal length... the greater the phenomenon will occur.

with your dslr, you'll experience this 'problem' even more.. it has a larger sensor and needs longer focal length for a similar photo as the iphone will.

I know what you're talking about, but the problem *is* with the iPhone 6's camera or the A8 ISP one. I took picture of the same subjects in the same environment with my iPhone 4S and while the images are noticeably noisier, you can see the fine details like individual fur. The iPhone 6 produces a much cleaner image, but when you zoom in, the fine details are lost as the image is blurred to reduce noise.

Reactions: 5105973

justinhu8

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I took picture of the same subjects in the same environment

take a picture with the same subject in the same place with the two cameras in identical position..
the amount of blur will be identical.

(maybe- i'm not sure what the differences are, if any, between 4s and 6 lens aperture.. if the 4s has a smaller aperture (higher f-stop #) then it would blur less if all else is identical.)

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I would recommend the iPhone, but not for the camera. My dad has a Nexus 5 that took far better pictures than the iPhone 5ses (however you write out multiple iPhone 5s) we have now. If I were to guess why, it was the optical image stabilization.n The Nexus 5 seemed to perform better in darker rooms as well. I've just come to accept that any picture I take indoors with my iPhone will be most likely be blurry. Some of the outdoor ones I've taken are good. But there are several occasions I've regretted not using my Canon S110 over the iPhone. For me, there is still a world of difference in the picture quality between a stand-alone camera and a phone camera. And to me the leaps in phone image quality are not that huge. My LG Dare didn't take fantastic photos, but the quality of those pictures, even at 3.2 MP, is closer to the iPhone than the iPhone is to Canon S110.

Maybe the iPhone 6s Plus with its optical image stabilization is better, but that's too big for my taste for a phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.