Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple TV was the fourth most popular streaming media device in the United States in 2014, according to new data compiled by Parks Associates. Sales of the Apple TV were eclipsed by sales of devices from Roku, Google, and Amazon.

Roku continues to be the most popular brand when it comes to streaming media devices, representing 34 percent of units sold, while Google and its Chromecast were responsible for 23 percent of device sales. Amazon's Fire TV was the third most popular choice, while Apple came in fourth. In 2013, the Apple TV was the third most popular streaming media device, but in 2014, it fell behind the newly introduced Fire TV and Fire TV Stick.

usstreamingmediadevicesales.gif

Combined, streaming media devices from Apple, Roku, Google, and Amazon were responsible for 86 percent of all streaming media device sales to U.S. broadband households.

According to the data, almost 20 percent of U.S. households now own one or more streaming media players. When it comes to ongoing usage, Roku devices are unsurprisingly at the top of the list. 37 percent of households regularly use a Roku device, 19 percent use a Google Chromecast, 17 percent use an Apple TV, and 14 percent use an Amazon Fire TV/Fire TV Stick.

With a new Apple TV on the horizon, the streaming media device market could shift in Apple's favor in 2015 and 2016. The new Apple TV is a radical departure from the existing Apple TV, which has not been updated for several years. It will include a full App Store that supports games and apps, Siri integration, a refreshed design and operating system, more storage space, and a touch-based remote control.

The Apple TV won't be able to compete with devices like the Google Chromecast or the Amazon Fire TV on price, but it will bring a host of features not offered by other products.

Article Link: Apple TV Fell to Fourth Most Popular Streaming Media Device in U.S. in 2014

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Roku is FOCUSED while :apple:TV is a "hobby." No surprise.

The sad part is that with focus, :apple:TV could be a very hot product for Apple. And Apple certainly has the financial and human resources to far outdo relatively small companies like Roku if they would just get with it.

In the meantime, I applaud success going to those that focus on growing such products, getting deals done to make them more and more useful and so on. I'd much rather get all Roku benefits from Apple (and within the ecosystem) but that mostly depends on higher-ups inside Apple deciding to give this the attention it needs. If tiny Roku can do it, certainly mighty Apple can too.

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
After watching the embedded video, it seems like the new TV might benefit from a Wiimote like remote. It could run native iOS apps without any redesign and use the remote instead of touch input.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I still use my 3rd gen Apple TV practically everyday. Granted, there really isn't much on TV during the summer, so I watch Netflix a lot when I'm home. But I'm pretty sure I've squeezed every penny out of the $100 I paid for it. With that said, I'm very much looking forward to what a new Apple TV will have to offer.

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
i love apple but they messed up with apple tv
i currently have a nexus player with xmbc or i stream from my phone with chrome cast

Reactions: AleXXXa

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I'm a through and through apple fan (like most people on this site)
and I own all of the AppleTV versions from the original through 3rd Gen.
but all are collecting dust right now. We picked up a Roku 3 and that gets used almost exclusively.

I have high hopes for AppleTV 4 :)

Correction: I do use Apple TV 1 (Silver) to play with. replaced the WiFi with a new video card, etc...

Last edited:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
While I do like the Roku the most. They really need to make a qwerty remote. Content searches are painfully slow selecting one letter at a time on screen. Now that I have Tivo it doesn't really matter. The Tivo has a qwerty remote and works with Amazon Prime, Spotify, Hulu and Netflix. If only I had unlimited data. 300GB can go fast with a household streaming HD content.

thogin

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Been using my PS4 more and more for streaming instead of the Apple TV. Wish the PS4 had HBO Now, though.

The ATV has one thing going for it: UI consistency. Each app is using the same UI template. Other media boxes are all over the place.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
:apple:TV with the ability to connect an external HD that I can also access from the Mac on the network, VLC to play every media type out there, a browser and streaming options for NetFlix and Amazon...That would be a dream come true, after it's Popcorn Time *pun intended* :p

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Media steaming devices are a good segment of consumer electronics that Apple let slowly slip out of its strategic iron sights, and consequently, out of the competition.

Apple is increasingly acting like a chicken without a head... no real strategy, just flapping around and hoping that a new hiring of celebrity XYZ will magically turn things around. And yet, the solution is very simple and inexpensive. For example, keep your products updated and bug free. Also, given that apple is generally a follower with respect to innovation, they could have easily copied what Roku did better and then polished the final product with some old-school Apple refinement.

pentrix2

Suspended
Aug 3, 2015
I brought 500 Roku players for my employee's as a "extra" bonus. They all love it. Also, brought another 50 Roku players to give away last Christmas to friends and family. They all love it too. Planning to buy another 700 Roku players this Christmas to give away to my employees. Not bad in a year able to grow my company by 200 employees. Hopefully in couple of years will have 1,500 employees and Roku players for all as well...

Reactions: tigres and AleXXXa

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
That is not 4th place, that is last place.

Apple has a huge game of catch up to play now. I'm tired of scrolling through my movies and TV shows for what seems like minutes. It is an absolutely terrible interface with an equally bad remote. The only things going for it:
1. Mirroring my iPhone/iPad/Mac on a big screen.
2. The remote app on my iPhone that makes it tolerable to look through nearly 1500 movies.

I have 3 TVs up for grabs so unless the Apple TV 4 is jaw-dropping, I think I'll be going Roku next.

I would already have a couple Amazon Fire TV but my TV's already have the prime video app built in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.