Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors has learned that British electronics retailer Currys, which co-brands some locations as Currys and PC World, has added the Apple Watch to its internal inventory system as it gears up to begin selling the wrist-worn device.

Currys and PC World has a large presence throughout the United Kingdom and Ireland, with a combined 295 superstores and 73 high street stores in both countries. It remains unclear how many of those locations will be carrying the Apple Watch.

currys_apple_watch-800x344.jpg

When searching for the Apple Watch on the Currys website, a banner informs customers that the device is "currently not available at Currys and PC World" and advertises a range of smartwatches from Sony, Motorola, LG, Pebble and others.

currys_no_apple_watch-800x68.jpg

Apple has been expanding Apple Watch availability beyond Apple Stores over the past few months. Best Buy in the U.S. began selling the Apple Watch in early August, followed by Best Buy in Canada, Harvey Norman and Myer in Australia and Fnac in France.

Article Link: Currys and PC World Gearing Up to Sell Apple Watch in UK

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
*Insert comment about how this clearly means the Apple Watch is failing and Apple is getting desperate*

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
For anyone who is thinking of purchasing an Apple Watch from Currys/PC World (or ANYTHING for that matter)-prepare yourself for a world of pain and some of THE most atrocious customer service you will ever endure.

Seriously, these guys are the dregs. The staff are clearly paid next to nothing and treated like dirt, they know nothing about the product(s) you enquire about and all they are there to do is "shift boxes" by pointing you at wherever device will earn them the most commission that day.

If there was ever a way for Apple to devalue the Apple/Watch "Experience", selling in C/PCW is it.

You have been warned...

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
For anyone who is thinking of purchasing an Apple Watch from Currys/PC World (or ANYTHING for that matter)-prepare yourself for a world of pain and some of THE most atrocious customer service you will ever endure.

Seriously, these guys are the dregs. The staff are clearly paid next to nothing and treated like dirt, they know nothing about the product(s) you enquire about and all they are there to do is "shift boxes" by pointing you at wherever device will earn them the most commission that day.

If there was ever a way for Apple to devalue the Apple/Watch "Experience", selling in C/PCW is it.

You have been warned...

Sounds like most electrical retailers I know. :confused:

Reactions: satcomer and H2SO4

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011

You have been warned...

"Do you want an extended warranty with that? Do you want an extended warranty with that? Do you want an extended warranty with that? Do you want an extended warranty with that? Do you want an extended warranty with that? .................."

I literally handed back the £100 purchase I was about to make because the assistant followed me across the floor pestering me about extended warranties, and wouldn't leave me alone even though I'd firmly explained I wasn't interested the first time she mentioned it.

I also walked out leaving a cable at the till because I'd casually mentioned it was a business purchase and they insisted their business team sign me up before selling it to me. Shocking customer service.

It's this sort of thing that made us despair at the appointment of Browett at Apple.

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
Ha-Ha, Ha-Ha,
If anyone buys any Apple device from PC-World then I really feel sorry for them. PC-W do not know the meaning of support (And guidance). They are the last place in the world to buy any electronic kit let alone something a sophisticated as an Apple Watch.
For those on the R-H side of the Pond, PC-W is worse than Best-Buy.
The previous comments about warranty are only the tip of the iceberg.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Does Apple sell other products at Currys? If so it seems kind of silly to not sell the Watch there too. The Watch is being sold in Apple Store is in many of them are not in high-end areas so...

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
up above the streets and houses
Back in my Windows days I attempted to buy a laptop at PC World, the transaction went like this :

Me: "I would like to purchase this laptop please" points to laptop that I had selected after browsing what was available.

Sales Person: "I can offer you a better deal on this one" points to laptop I wasn't interested in.

Me: "No thank you, I would like this one please"

SP: "Sir, I think you should consider this one, I can offer you a much better price"

Me: "I'm not interested in that one, I would like this one please"

SP: "You should really take a look at this one"

Me: "I've chosen this one and I would like to purchase it please"

SP: "Sir, I insist that you should look at this other model, I can do you a fantastic deal"

Me: "No thank you, I've already looked at that one and it doesn't meet my requirements. Could you please sell me the one that I have chosen"

SP: "But sir this other model is considerably less expensive I really think you should reconsider"

Me: "Ok, I have reconsidered. I won't be buying anything from you today" makes to leave store.

SP: " [expletive] you. Thanks for wasting my time"

Suffice to say that I haven't been back to a PC World ever since.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Back in my Windows days I attempted to buy a laptop at PC World, the transaction went like this :

Me: "I would like to purchase this laptop please" points to laptop that I had selected after browsing what was available.

Sales Person: "I can offer you a better deal on this one" points to laptop I wasn't interested in.

Me: "No thank you, I would like this one please"

SP: "Sir, I think you should consider this one, I can offer you a much better price"

Me: "I'm not interested in that one, I would like this one please"

SP: "You should really take a look at this one"

Me: "I've chosen this one and I would like to purchase it please"

SP: "Sir, I insist that you should look at this other model, I can do you a fantastic deal"

Me: "No thank you, I've already looked at that one and it doesn't meet my requirements. Could you please sell me the one that I have chosen"

SP: "But sir this other model is considerably less expensive I really think you should reconsider"

Me: "Ok, I have reconsidered. I won't be buying anything from you today" makes to leave store.

SP: " [expletive] you. Thanks for wasting my time"

Suffice to say that I haven't been back to a PC World ever since.
Wow, that's especially bad, even for them. Which store?

Reactions: midwich

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
"Do you want an extended warranty with that? Do you want an extended warranty with that? Do you want an extended warranty with that? Do you want an extended warranty with that? Do you want an extended warranty with that? .................."

I literally handed back the £100 purchase I was about to make because the assistant followed me across the floor pestering me about extended warranties, and wouldn't leave me alone even though I'd firmly explained I wasn't interested the first time she mentioned it.

I also walked out leaving a cable at the till because I'd casually mentioned it was a business purchase and they insisted their business team sign me up before selling it to me. Shocking customer service.

It's this sort of thing that made us despair at the appointment of Browett at Apple.

Given the associate's numbers for the day, unless you bought that warranty, the sale of the purchase without it probably would have been detrimental. I've been there. When your numbers for the day are bad, the 50 cent spiff to make your percentages even worse is well worth it if I couldn't get you to buy the warranty.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Does Apple sell other products at Currys? If so it seems kind of silly to not sell the Watch there too. The Watch is being sold in Apple Store is in many of them are not in high-end areas so...

People who go into those stores are the same one who would go in a best buy, they know what to expect from them... Their main advantage is proximity and availability. There are few Apple stores and many of these other types of stores.

Between going into those stores next door or commuting 2h to London to see the watch before buying it, I think anyone would prefer the first even with a deep love of Apple. You can still get Applecare from those stores if you don'T want to deal to much with them for your support.

Reactions: bliggs

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
PC World is fine if you treat them like the box shifter they are and don't expect and decent advice (or any advice at all!) - I got an MBA from them a month or so ago as they had 10% off all Apple products and it was painless: I reserved it online, wandered down to the store, paid for it and walked out with the computer.

Jonny1989

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
Just bought a router from Currys 3 weeks ago that was faulty. Customer support said "because it works even for just a bit we can't refund you because you have used it". I got my money yesterday, never going again. I paid £5 more for the sake of if it breaks i can return it to a store too.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
People who go into those stores are the same one who would go in a best buy, they know what to expect from them... Their main advantage is proximity and availability. There are few Apple stores and many of these other types of stores.

Between going into those stores next door or commuting 2h to London to see the watch before buying it, I think anyone would prefer the first even with a deep love of Apple. You can still get Applecare from those stores if you don'T want to deal to much with them for your support.
The point is all these digs about the Watch supposedly being high end only are nonsense. Just like all the people who purposely refer to the device as "iWatch" even though they know it's called Apple Watch. It makes sense for Apple to sell the device in retail outlets where they have existing relationships. And perhaps if the product continues to be successful and Apple expands the product line they'll open up new retail outlets. There was a rumor at one point that Apple was thinking about smaller Watch specific stores.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK

Yes they do, almost their whole product lineup.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Sorry for this comment, but being sold at Curry's and PC World doesn't have the "elite" feeling that I thought was the intention when the Apple Watch was only to be sold at Apple Stores and select retailers (like Selfridges).
it's the biggest tech stores in the UK..if they aren't elite who are?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.