Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has been having early discussions with Hollywood executives about producing original video programming in a bid to potentially compete against companies like Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, according to a new report from Variety.

overview_whatis_hero_2x-e1441065862572.jpg

Sources indicate the Cupertino, Calif. colossus has held preliminary conversations in recent weeks with executives in Hollywood to suss out their interest in spearheading efforts to produce entertainment content. The unit putting out the feelers reports into Eddy Cue, who is Apple's point man on all content-related matters, from its negotiations with programmers for Apple TV to its recent faceoff with Taylor Swift.
It's currently unclear how large Apple's ambitions and commitment to producing original video content are, as sources have told Variety contradictory things about the Cupertino company's plans. One source says Apple wants to create development and production departments that could create long-term content like Netflix does with original TV shows and movies. Another source says Apple is "flirting" with the idea, and launched an "unprecedented bid" to sign Top Gear stars Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond when they left the BBC. However, Amazon ended up winning that bidding war.

In recent years, Apple has hired independent film content experts to shore up iTunes Movies' independent offerings with exclusive windows on films and a broader selection of content, including offering movies available for rent before or during their theatrical runs.

More recently, Apple has expanded into original content with its worldwide Beats 1 Radio station and music videos for artists like Drake, Eminem and M.I.A., which are reportedly produced in-house. With Apple's rumored live TV-over-the-internet service coming in 2016, it's likely the Cupertino company could be looking for original and exclusive content to lure customers to its service rather than its competitors.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Exploring Producing Original TV Shows

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I wouldn't mind some self-referanital material. Imagine a generic sitcom in which every character wears grey t-shirts, lives in a nondescript white room, and talks like Mr. Ive. "There's something I've wanted to say to you for a multitude of years… it's about refining our friendship, rethinking what we mean to each other in a way only we can do, Abigail."

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Not a fan of this at all. Apple doesn't need original content and Eddy Cue should be focused on making iCloud, Apple Music and Siri best in class. They're not right now. If he really wants to do this then Apple should spin off Beats into its own company and Cue can go run it. Then Cook can poach someone from Google, Microsoft or Amazon that really understands internet services.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Not a fan of this at all. Apple doesn't need original content and Eddy Cue should be focused on making iCloud, Apple Music and Siri best in class. They're not right now. If he really wants to do this then Apple should spin off Beats into its own company and Cue can go run it. Then Cook can poach someone from Google, Microsoft or Amazon that really understands internet services.

I agree that Apple needs to fix a few things.

But there are writers and directors who will be making content that will end up somewhere... be it Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc.

So why not on Apple's platform?

It's not like Apple executives will be literally producing these shows... i.e holding cameras and positioning lights :)

Apple will write a check and a production company will make them. They will simply premiere on Apple first.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
Apple is getting into everything these days. Do you all think they appear to have a solid game plan or are they just throwing things against the wall and seeing what sticks?

Military, music, automobiles, wearables, home automation...

If they have the cash, resources and innovation to work in these fields, then they have an obligation to make better products/services. Apple has hit gold in almost everything they do. I don't know how long they can keep it up, but if they can get in the Cars & TV's game... that's covering a lot of areas.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Couldn't agree more.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
While Netflix does have a decent UI, I'd love to see what Apple could do with it if they bought the company out.

Reactions: Jstuts5797

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
As many negative things people are going to come up with, and as much as I doubt this anytime soon, I think Apple's cash and creative expertise could potentially mean high quality Hollywood collaborations and fantastic productions! Who knows!
I worry about Apple being stretched to thin and having too many irons in the fire. We've got the Watch now; who knows how that will evolve and where else Apple will go in the wearables space and what the future is for ResearchKit. We don't know what Apple's plans in the home automation space are. Apple Music is still far from great. Siri could be so much better, same with Apple Maps. Apple has made lots of changes to iOS and OS X over the last 3 years that require more polish. We have Apple making a big push in the enterprise. There are rumors about an iPad "Pro" and of course the Apple car rumors. I think Apple has a full plate right now and I worry they're trying to take on too much and the user experience suffers because of it.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'm all for seeing more TV produced by parties other than the traditional networks.

I suspect Apple's first thinking is some kind of music programming, though, not long-arc dramas that I'd be interested in.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Yes they should do these shows.

Wait.....wait...wait for it....yes! You can only see them on Apple devices! woohoo I feel honoured I am one of the select few willing to shell out extra bucks for a very closed system. What makes me select is my ability to do iPayOutTheNose for Apple stuff.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Couldn't agree more.
I'm not sure what happened to a thousand noes for every yes but Cook needs to start saying no. Maybe this turns into nothing or is nothing more than Apple paying for exclusives (though I hate exclusives). But if Cue wants Apple to get in the content production business then I seriously think the board should consider spinning off Beats and Cue can go run it as a separate company.

Reactions: Analog Kid

Rocketman

macrumors 603
We already know users are willing to pay $100-$200 per month for cable and satellite with channels they have no intention of watching. So they cut the cord. If they pay for things they select either ala carte or in small bite size groups with "some" channels they don't care about, that model would work.

Cord cutting has made it possible for some of my friends to reduce their total cost to $50 for internet and $3 for an instance of Netflix. Far lower bills. If Apple will have a family plan like Netflix where the instances can be either at your primary home or your secondary home and not force two accounts, then my stated vision is about to arrive.

So imagine the new ATV with an Apple branded service for around $30/month, plus Netflix for $12/month, plus Hulu for $10/month, plus HBO for $10 per month, plus Pandora. Now we are talking about over the top service similar to what a family consumes now, plus major benefits of the ecosystem itself. That's 4 TV's.

That's what I see and why I have budgeted $200 per TV and $50 per family per month for this announcement. It will likely force an upgrade of two TV's that were late adopters to HD.

Hopefully speakers too for the music only users.

Rocketman

These are loosey goosey cost estimates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art0fLife
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.