Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Despite not arriving until the end of October, YouTuber Andru Edwards has gotten ahold of the fourth-generation Apple TV and unboxed it on video. The video, which appears to be the first unboxing of the device, offers a glimpse at the new packaging for Apple's new set-top box.

The new Apple TV's packaging is all-black and features a picture of the top of the device on the top of the box. Once opened, the user is presented with the Apple TV box and the brand new Siri Remote. Underneath those are a Lightning cable to charge the new remote and a power cable.

Edwards, who says he received his Apple TV on the day of Apple's "Hey Siri" event, then provides a closer look at both the set-top box and remote.

The fourth-generation Apple TV will be available at the end of October. It'll be priced at $149.99 for the 32 GB option and $199.99 for the 64 GB option.

Article Link: First Unboxing of New Apple TV Shows off Packaging, Device and Remote

oliverames

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2011
Vermont

Despite not arriving until the end of October, YouTuber Andru Edwards has gotten ahold of the fourth-generation Apple TV and unboxed it on video. The video, which appears to be the first unboxing of the device, offers a glimpse at the new packaging for Apple's new set-top box.

The new Apple TV's packaging is all-black and features a picture of the top of the device on the top of the box. Once opened, the user is presented with the Apple TV box and the brand new Siri Remote. Underneath those are a Lightning cable to charge the new remote and a power cable.

Edwards, who says he received his Apple TV on the day of Apple's "Hey Siri" event, then provides a closer look at both the set-top box and remote.

The fourth-generation Apple TV will be available at the end of October. It'll be priced at $149.99 for the 32 GB option and $199.99 for the 64 GB option.

Article Link: First Unboxing of New Apple TV Shows off Packaging, Device and Remote

Looks a lot like this is unfinished packaging. No pamphlets, no nesting for the cable, etc... Super cool though.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
So, it comes with a charging cable that can't be used with the ATV? That's a standard USB connector, not a USB-C. I was expecting a charging brick that could be plugged into the wall next to your TV chair, but no dice. So where exactly is Apple thinking it will be plugged in to charge? Odd.

drusoicy

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2007
This guy isn't even a big name reporter, wonder how he got one.

More impressed than mad to be honest.

EDIT: He hinted at having an iPad Pro. If he's keeping that hidden from us too he's doing the world a disservice! :p

It's relative. Maybe you don't know me (or the average reader,) but all the vendors and tech manufacturers do, as do my 800k podcast subscribers!

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
This guy isn't even a big name reporter, wonder how he got one.

More impressed than mad to be honest.

EDIT: He hinted at having an iPad Pro. If he's keeping that hidden from us too he's doing the world a disservice! :p
Apple is sending these out to developers early, right? Maybe that's how he got it.

But if he actually has an iPad Pro I have no explanation for that.

Reactions: applegeek97

drusoicy

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2007
So, it comes with a charging cable that can't be used with the ATV? That's a standard USB connector, not a USB-C. I was expecting a charging brick that could be plugged into the wall next to your TV chair, but no dice. So where exactly is Apple thinking it will be plugged in to charge? Odd.

I think a lot of people have a Lightning cable somewhere in their living room for charging tablets and phones, and this can just plug into that is their thinking I'd assume?

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
It's relative. Maybe you don't know me (or the average reader,) but all the vendors and tech manufacturers do, as do my 800k podcast subscribers!

Right so did all the press get demo versions of the products to take home or something? Subbed in case you're allowed to show off the actual OS in action soon.

Apple is sending these out to developers early, right? Maybe that's how he got it.

But if he actually has an iPad Pro I have no explanation for that.

Maybe -- I just assumed those would be sent out at a later date.

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
"I'm not sure what the TV button is yet..." Lmao

Am going to assume he was one of the devs who got their hands on one from the conference.

Would be nice to see an OS video, rather than an unboxing of the actual device. I mean, thanks? But uhh...

Reactions: millerlite

sfrancis928

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
Looks great to me, excited to finally be upgrading my ATV2.

One big issue though, you still need multiple remotes to operate your TV. In Apple's idea of a perfect world, no one would ever want to switch inputs because ATV serves all of everyone's needs. But that's just not the case for me, and especially for gamers.

The remote looks great, but universal remotes will have a tough time emulating its functionality.

Cam Johnson

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
UT
He needs to get a hold of the 6S and tell everyone how much RAM it has so people stop freaking out/wondering. I'm curious too, cause I'd love it if it actually had it! :p

drusoicy

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2007
Right so did all the press get demo versions of the products to take home or something? Subbed in case you're allowed to show off the actual OS in action soon.

Maybe -- I just assumed those would be sent out at a later date.

Nope, if we all got one then you'd see a bunch of videos, or I'd be in trouble for breaking embargo. Same for dev actually, those just got settled today (the 11th) as to which devs would get them. They'll likely start arriving to qualified devs next week.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Nope, if we all got one then you'd see a bunch of videos, or I'd be in trouble for breaking embargo. Same for dev actually, those just got settled today (the 11th) as to which devs would get them. They'll likely start arriving to qualified devs next week.

Oooo... Sounds like you might have some friends in good places then ;)

Can you show us Siri in action?

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
Not sure if you're talking about the remote? Can't imagine why they wouldn't include a wall plug with the Lightning cable for the Siri Remote. As far as the back of the aTV, that is in fact USB C which is the new service port.

Edit: I think I understand what you meant. You're saying the lightning cable can't connect to the Apple TV.

I personally have the aTV mounted and inaccessible...I'm sure most people can't (or wouldn't want to) be able to plug in the remote to charge every now and then if they've mounted their as well, or have it setup in a specific way with other AV gear. Wouldn't really be practical to reach back there to charge the remote.

Reactions: bluetree and Elbon

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Looks great to me, excited to finally be upgrading my ATV2.

One big issue though, you still need multiple remotes to operate your TV. In Apple's idea of a perfect world, no one would ever want to switch inputs because ATV serves all of everyone's needs. But that's just not the case for me, and especially for gamers.

The remote looks great, but universal remotes will have a tough time emulating its functionality.
Check out NEEO.

no 4K support & the loss of optical audio out = FAIL
Dislike the loss of optical audio also. Having AirPlay work without the television on is excellent.

Reactions: n3rdbra1n
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.