Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook has sent an internal email to employees (via The Telegraph) to commemorate the fourth anniversary since the death of late Apple co-founder and CEO Steve Jobs, who passed away October 5, 2011 following a lengthy illness.

jobs_lotus.jpg

Cook described Steve as a "brilliant person," encouraging Apple employees to ask their co-workers about "what he was really like," and reminded his staff about the "privilege and responsibility" of continuing the work that he "loved so much."
Team,

Today marks four years since Steve passed away. On that day, the world lost a visionary. We at Apple lost a leader, a mentor, and many of us lost a dear friend.

Steve was a brilliant person, and his priorities were very simple. He loved his family above all, he loved Apple, and he loved the people with whom he worked so closely and achieved so much.

Each year since his passing, I have reminded everyone in the Apple community that we share the privilege and responsibility of continuing the work Steve loved so much.

What is his legacy? I see it all around us: An incredible team that embodies his spirit of innovation and creativity. The greatest products on earth, beloved by customers and empowering hundreds of millions of people around the world. Soaring achievements in technology and architecture. Experiences of surprise and delight. A company that only he could have built. A company with an intense determination to change the world for the better.

And, of course, the joy he brought his loved ones.

He told me several times in his final years that he hoped to live long enough to see some of the milestones in his children's lives. I was in his office over the summer with Laurene and their youngest daughter. Messages and drawings from his kids to their father are still there on Steve's whiteboard.

If you never knew Steve, you probably work with someone who did or who was here when he led Apple. Please stop one of us today and ask what he was really like. Several of us have posted our personal remembrances on AppleWeb, and I encourage you to read them.
Thank you for honoring Steve by continuing the work he started, and for remembering both who he was and what he stood for.

Tim
Cook replaced Jobs as Apple CEO on August 24, 2011 and introduced the iPhone 4S, alongside the launch of iOS 5 and iCloud, on the day prior to Jobs' death. He has shared similar tribute messages for Steve over the past three years.

Remembering Steve for who he was and what he stood for. We honor him by continuing the work he loved so much. pic.twitter.com/6UiXBjYe3l - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) October 5, 2015
Jobs co-founded Apple with Steve Wozniak and Ronald Wayne in 1976, but was ousted from the company in 1985. He returned as CEO in 1997 and remained at the company until his death in 2011, overseeing the launch of iconic products such as the iMac, iPod, iPhone and iPad.

Article Link: Tim Cook Commemorates Steve Jobs on Fourth Anniversary of His Death

Reactions: recoil80

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
The Digital Frontier
I know that I am sad (call me cold dead [no pun intended] fish) that SJ died 4 years ago today. But at what point do we stop remembering the day he died and put up that statue at  (Apple logo) HQ? And start remembering the day that SJ was born?

Did we celebrate MJ's death in June or was it just another day?

Reactions: NMBob and arefbe

dmunz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
Say what you want about his personality but you have to respect the things he drove forward. I have this quote I use a lot (although I'm sure where I got it, or even if it is real...)

"I think if you do something and it turns out pretty good, then you should go out and do something else wonderful, not dwell on it for too long. Just figure out what's next." S.J.

That's it in a nutshell. Always focus forward on making good thins and then making more better things.

FWIW
DLM

PS. This sits right next to my favorite David Lee Roth quote - "There are two rules to living well. 1st, Don't sweat the little s&#t. 2nd, its all litle s&#t." Which, I guess, makes me either schizophrenic or a hypocrite...

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I know that I am sad (call me cold dead [no pun intended] fish) that SJ died 4 years ago today. But at what point do we stop remembering the day he died and put up that statue at  (Apple logo) HQ? And start remembering the day that SJ was born?

Did we celebrate MJ's death in June or was it just another day?

I totally get you about MJ not being celebrated and a CEO of a tech company "apparently" is. Both were innovators of their craft. To be honest though, if you look outside of the tech world online you won't see any celebration of Jobs. I never hear my local news mention him on the anniversary of his death. While the movie may look promising I don't see many people outside of tech enthusiasts going to the theater to see it.

Neserma

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2015
I'm wondering, how did you get it? Because it's an internal e-mail, nobody from Apple should provide you with full copy.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
I'm wondering, how did you get it? Because it's an internal e-mail, nobody from Apple should provide you with full copy.
It is not the NSA*, This was not a classified email. Someone from Apple sent it to someone at The Telegraph

*Bad example, since classified information from the NSA has gotten out too...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.