Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to introduce the rumored 21.5-inch Retina iMac next week, reports 9to5Mac. There will be several models that could show up in stores as early as October 13, but supplies may be somewhat limited until production ramps up in November.

As has been previously rumored, the 21.5-inch iMac will have a resolution of 4096 x 2304. Code discovered in OS X El Capitan has pointed towards Broadwell chips with Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 and AMD Radeon M380 - M395X discrete graphics for the new iMacs.

imacs.jpg

Rumors have also suggested the new 21.5-inch iMac will include an improved display quality with greater color saturation, but the external design of the machine will remain the same. Due to the new Retina displays, the 21.5-inch iMac models will be priced higher than existing iMac models.

The 27-inch iMac is not likely to receive an update alongside the 21.5-inch iMac and it is not clear if Apple will also debut new rumored accessories alongside the machine. According to regulatory filings, Apple is working on a second-generation Magic Mouse and a new wireless keyboard with Bluetooth 4.2 connectivity and a rechargeable battery.

As for the iPad Pro, Japanese site Mac Otakara recently suggested the larger-screened tablet would launch in early November, a rumor that 9to5Mac concurs with in today's report.

Article Link: Apple to Launch 4K 21.5-inch Retina iMac Next Week, iPad Pro in Early November

Reactions: mektobat

xFerrr

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
27 inch really blowed my mind.! this one may be more affordable!! Great great!

Reactions: AlexH

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
thats great news. i used to want a iMac until i got one at work and omg all i see is pixels coming from a retina mac book pro

Reactions: Oldfash33

AlabamaSlammer

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Alabama
Hopefully this will be able to power my two 4k monitors that I recently purchased. Depending on the price and power, i'm either buying one or I'll just continue my pc build

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
Interesting in seeing the pricing for these.

Seems like no update to the non-retina 21.5" iMacs then? :/

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Hmmm. I might go 21" on my next iMac. The 27" really is very big. I was happy with the size when I got it. But since I have laptops and iPads, I have extra screens available if I need it for some sort of reference material while working. A 4K on a 21" screen is going to be very nice. And hopefully it will run perfectly without having overheating issues on next year's Skylake processors.

Reactions: AlexH

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hmmm. I might go 21" on my next iMac. The 27" really is very big. I was happy with the size when I got it. But since I have laptops and iPads, I have extra screens available if I need it for some sort of reference material while working. A 4K on a 21" screen is going to be very nice. And hopefully it will run perfectly without having overheating issues on next year's Skylake processors.

I was thinking the same thing, I owned a 27" iMac and although I loved it, it did seem a little too big. I might pull the trigger on the 21" if its has enough VRAM and ability to put a i7 processor in it. I would get it maxed out! Hopefully 4GB VRAM Core i7 processor, ill get the standard 8gb ram and then upgrade, 1tb fusion drive :)

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
With a mobile GPU... Well, there goes performance. Most desktop-class GPUs have a hard time pushing such a resolution, let alone mobile GPUs.

As long as they also have some upgraded Thunderbolt displays I'll be happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.