Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has raised its prices for the MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini and Mac Pro this week in Australia, Brazil, New Zealand, Norway, Malaysia, Mexico, Thailand and Turkey as the values of foreign currencies continue to fluctuate against the U.S. dollar.

retinamacbookpro.jpg

MacBook Air prices in New Zealand, for example, ranged between NZ$1,399.00 and NZ$1,799.00 for stock configurations prior to the price increase, but the lineup is now priced between NZ$1,599.00 and NZ$2,199.00.

Similarly, the base model Mac mini now starts at NZ$899, up from NZ$749, while the base model Mac Pro rose from NZ$4,499.00 to NZ$5,699.00. The 12-inch MacBook is now priced from NZ$2,399, a $400 increase over the original NZ$1,999 price.

MBP-Pricing-NZ-2015.jpg

The price increases were consistent on the Apple Online Store in the other affected countries. In Brazil, for instance, the MacBook Air now costs between R$ 8.499,00 and R$ 11.499,00, up from between R$ 5.899,00 and R$ 7.699,00.

Retina MacBook Pro prices now start at kr 14 990,00 in Norway, as another example, an increase over the former kr 12 590,00 price for the entry-level configuration. In Malaysia, the Retina MacBook Pro is also now more expensive, at RM 5,899.00 and up.

Apple reports its quarterly earnings in U.S. dollars, and routinely adjusts its prices in foreign countries due to currency exchange rates that are beyond its control. Australia, Canada and Europe have faced similar price increases this year.

Update: MacRumors has confirmed several tips from readers about similar price increases on Macs and some other products in Australia, Mexico, Thailand and Turkey.

Article Link: Apple Raises Mac Prices in Australia, Brazil, New Zealand, Norway, Malaysia, Mexico, Thailand and Turkey

Last edited:

realpras

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
I notice this too today. 3rd party retailers haven't updated their prices though, still the old prices. I'm in NZ btw. Crazy how the MacBook 12'' and rMBP 13" price has gone up by $400!

Craigwilliam

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Auckland
As someone who lives in New Zealand and loves Apple products it's quite frustrating to see news like this when we don't even get an Apple store and our iTunes selection isn't as good as other countries, I guess now that I've got Netflix I'm not as bothered about not having TV shows on iTunes but you can't get everything on New Zealand Netflix. Bizarrely one such show is House of Cards.

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
I'm UK ex-pat living in NZ for the last 2 years.
NZ prices have been a good 10-15% cheaper than UK prices since I arrived here.
Until this week and now they are almost identical at todays exchange rates.
I now find myself praying for a recovery in international milk solid prices and a return to the highs of the NZ$ especially with the lovely new Apple gear announced yesterday.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
For about a year or so, one thing that pisses me off so much is that because of how weak the Canadian dollar is, everything has to be increased in price. Instead of $1299, things cost $1549. It's useful if you get paid in USD, then it's economical, but otherwise you're just losing money because of stupid economical problems.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
It's not their fault, if they don't increase the prices, then their products may become unprofitable.
No...it means they'll make slightly less per product but it wouldn't make the products unprofitable. I'm certain they could have taken a slight hit to maintain consumer loyalty.

Whoa, those are some serious increases for New Zealand, you gotta feel bad for our friends there..... :eek::(:mad:
You have no idea...its extremely painful.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
And in Australia.... Can't wait till our government hopefully forces Apple to fully pay its company tax. Then they'll have the right to charge at these levels.

A 2012 non retina Macbook now costs $1699 here... it cost $1350 when I bought mine (though i got mine for $1200). The baseline Retina Macbook is now at the non affordable $2000.. craziness!

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
The Brazilian Real has devaluated over 50% YTD so it does surprise me that Apple took so long to change the prices there. They still did not adjust the prices for iPhone or iPad. The price change today was just an adjustment to equal in dollars what the price was at the beginning of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pittpanthersfan

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
It's not their fault, if they don't increase the prices, then their products may become unprofitable.
No, and I’m not being facetious here but we never see a headline like, ‘Apple lowers Mac prices in…………'.
There’ll be one of two reasons for this on an internet forum;
  • It doesn’t generate as many clicks, (or maybe it would?).
  • They never really lower prices like that.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
No, and I’m not being facetious here but we never see a headline like, ‘Apple lowers Mac prices in…………'.
There’ll be one of two reasons for this on an internet forum;
  • It doesn’t generate as many clicks, (or maybe it would?).
  • They never really lower prices like that.
I'm not certain, but think that older Macs were much more expensive before in Canada than how they are now. An iMac G4 costed $2999 in Canada while it costed $2199 in US. With the G5 it got cheaper, with the intel macs it was only a hundred dollars of difference, and eventually ended up being the same price. It probably has clickbait in mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.