Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The upcoming OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan release, which is expected to be released in the very near future, will include a compatibility update for Microsoft Office 2016 to fix ongoing crashing issues, MacRumors has learned. Since OS X El Capitan was released in late September, some Office 2016 users have found the software to be nearly unusable due to frequent crashes or an inability to open the Office apps at all.

Microsoft informed customers it was aware of the problem nearly two weeks ago and said it was "actively working with Apple" on a fix, hinting the problem was on Apple's end and wasn't something Microsoft could fix alone.

officeformac2016.jpg

Microsoft did update Office 2016 earlier this week, adding new features and security enhancements, but admitted it did not fix any El Capitan bugs in an accompanying support document. At that time, Microsoft said it was working with Apple to "ensure resolution with the next update of OS X 10.11 El Capitan."

Apple's most recent OS X 10.11.1 beta for developers and public beta testers was released Wednesday afternoon, with Apple asking developers to focus on Mail and Office 2016. The upcoming OS X 10.11.1 release will also fix several issues with Mail regarding missing server information and a bug that prevents the display of messages and mailboxes within the app. The update also includes dozens of new emoji from Unicode 7 and 8, including taco, burrito, cheese wedge, unicorn head, middle finger, popcorn, and more.

Office 2011 users were also experiencing issues with crashing and with a non-functional Outlook app, but Microsoft was able to fix those bugs with an Office 2011 update that was released on October 7.

Article Link: OS X El Capitan 10.11.1 Public Release Coming Soon With Fixes for Office 2016, Mail, and More

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i hope they fix my keyboard issue after sleep mode, can't login because my keyboard isn't working

Reactions: AleXXXa

Luis Mazza

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Resizing the Preview window with a PDF open and automatic resizing will pixelate the document. Also, some external hard disks are not showing up on the desktop as they should.
Those issues are still present on the latest beta.
Other than that, the OS is pretty solid to me.

Reactions: FuNGi

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
Fingers crossed this update restores the hourly automatic backups with Time machine which stopped for me (and several others) since El Capitan. I won't have to remember to keep running it manually then.

Other than that and requiring a few third party updates that have generally come out quickly 10.11 has been very solid for a .0 release.

Reactions: rcoden

gr8whtd0pe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Dallas, NC
i hope they fix my keyboard issue after sleep mode, can't login because my keyboard isn't working

I have the same issue, but I also have random times where it will not take my password to unlock system preferences or on boot up it hangs after file vault.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
10.11 is buggy on my 2015 15" MBPr, somethings are brutal with constant crashes and beachballs. Ugh, cannot come soon enough

Reactions: gr8whtd0pe

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Am I the only one having Mail crash randomly when I'm not using it? It'll be in the background and when I come back to my computer or wake up in the morning, it's crashed.

Apple's point of view:
Emoji > anything else

Taco Bell is far more excited than Apple. They're finally getting their taco emoji with iOS 9.1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Insleep

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Seeing how MS showcased Office on the iPad Pro at an Apple conference, I would say Apple would like to keep MS happy
Yep. Apple would want to ensure their devices are seen to be compatible with the most widely used business office software suite in corporate existence.

Reactions: flur

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
My update on a 2014 MBP with Mavericks has been stalling on waiting for 2 weeks now.
Clicking pause or resume does nothing.
El Capitan doesn't show up in the app store for me
Tried some internet suggested Activity Monitor adjustments, but no dice.

No time to do a clean install, just wondering why on my other MBP it was easy to go from mavericks to
El Capitan.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
The office one gets me.. if only Microsoft had access to OS betas over the previous months, this all could have been avoided. Oh wait...

Reading this over and over is getting boring .... In my personal experience, Office 2016 worked fine through all the El Cap betas and only broke when the GM came out. What was your experience?

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I have the same issue, but I also have random times where it will not take my password to unlock system preferences or on boot up it hangs after file vault.
So it is related to El Capitan, because on yosemite i haven't had this issue not once

ch02ce

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
Reading this over and over is getting boring .... In my personal experience, Office 2016 worked fine through all the El Cap betas and only broke when the GM came out. What was your experience?

My experiences have been pretty rotten with the combination of OS betas and Office betas / updates. Clean install and otherwise. It is finally at a state where I have finally been able to ditch Office 2011, but thank goodness I set auto-save at 1 minute.

Reactions: appledefenceforce

mbrannon47

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I'm sure this gets asked all the time, but if you're signed up for the Public Betas for iOS and OS X, how can you stop receiving future Public Beta seeds?

When I update to 10.11.1 public, I'd like to be done with the Public Betas. Same with iOS 9.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.