Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple updated its Apple Pay participating issuers list today with 75 additional banks, credit unions and financial institutions supporting the contactless payment service in the United States. Apple Pay now has over 600 participating issuers nationwide, and several more plan to support the NFC-based mobile payment service in the future.

Atrium-Buffalo-NY-HSBC.jpg
HSBC Atrium in Buffalo, New York

HSBC, one of the ten largest U.S. banks, highlights the complete list of Apple Pay participating issuers. As a disclaimer, it should be noted that some smaller banks, credit unions and financial institutions listed may have already had support for the contactless payments service and are only now being reflected on Apple's website.

The full list of new Apple Pay participating issuers is ahead.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Apple Pay Now Supports HSBC and Over 70 Other Issuers in U.S.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Gotta admit, Samsung has a really nice thing going with Samsung Pay.

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
It is so sickening how long this is taking. I called my bank and they told me they weren't looking at supporting Apple Pay due to "lack of interest."

Retailers are dragging their feet on the hardware end "due to lack of interest".

Yeah, I suppose if nobody supports the damn service, it would appear consumers have a "lack of interest". How are consumers supposed to show interest if it's impossible?!

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Because of Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST)? That seems neat and would have been useful a decade ago, but even with US banks switching to chip cards, will it even work for long?
I'm guessing even with banks switching to chip cards retailers will still swipe them. I've had a chip card for awhile now, and it works great when I'm traveling, but any time I've tried to use the chip in the US, even when the retailer says it should work, the chip doesn't work and I have to swipe it.

Reactions: bchreng

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
Every time I see these posts I get excited. Then, disappoint when my credit union is still not on there.....
Same...I contacted my banks customer support and they said check back in a few months. This was in August so I get so excited only to find out not yet. :(

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
My Apple Pay usage has been growing exponentially. I first got my 6+ in early November. My bank added Apple Pay a few weeks later. Start of June was the first time I came across a retailer that accepted it. July I found another one. August I found another two. September I found a few more. This October isn't over yet but I've found a few new retailers just this week (plus a few more earlier in the weekend.)

Within a year, I'm thinking it'll be pretty ubiquitous and it'll be more common for retailers to accept it than not accept it, in the US anyways.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Impressive, but we still need more retailers on board. My expectations were set fairly low and even I'm surprised by the lack of support over a year later.

Agreed. I expected that we'd see a bunch of retailers announce support for NFC payments following the October 1 changeover where merchants themselves are now liable for fraud in the U.S.; but the announcements have been almost non-existent since the changeover. Starbucks, KFC, and Chilis are all I remember off the top of my head and none of those are active yet...just coming soon.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Apple seems to think that at some point, they'll have enough banks on board that merchants will just give in and start accepting Apple Pay all of a sudden. Thus far, it hasn't worked that way. Even the October 1 deadline that put the liability for card fraud on the merchants instead of banks hasn't seemed to get most retailers' attention.

I think the only thing that will get NFC to be more widespread is if banks start charging merchants 1 to 2 percent more for swiped transactions as opposed to NFC transactions. I would love to be able to leave my debit and credit cards at home when I go out but it's just not feasible -- even living in a metro area with almost 7 million people. I have every card I own in Apple Pay and I use Apple Pay every chance I get; but I'd say that it's still only available at about 5 percent of the retailers I frequent.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Gotta admit, Samsung has a really nice thing going with Samsung Pay.
Because of Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST)? That seems neat and would have been useful a decade ago, but even with US banks switching to chip cards, will it even work for long?

Magnetic will still be around for a long time to come.

A neat thing about Samsung Pay is that it allows contactless payments whether the merchant has NFC capability or not. If not, it reverts to MST.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Every time I see these posts I get excited. Then, disappoint when my credit union is still not on there.....

This right here. My CU keeps telling me that they've submitted all of the paperwork, and are waiting on Apple... but that's been at least 2 "new bank announcements" ago.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
A neat thing about Samsung Pay is that it allows contactless payments whether the merchant has NFC capability or not. If not, it reverts to MST.

That is neat. However, Samsung Pay's problem is the exact opposite of Apple Pay's problem: Samsung Pay desperately needs banks to support it. Right now, there are only four banks supporting it according to the Samsung Pay site: http://www.samsung.com/us/samsung-pay/

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015
I'm sitting here wondering why HSBC wasn't one of the first banks to have Apple Pay compatibility... I mean they're only one of the biggest banks in the world. Last time I checked, Chase, Bank Of America, Wells Fargo, Citi, and American Express all supported Apple Pay on launch day. But then again Discover just started supporting this technology a short time ago.

tristinkee

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2015
Melbourne, AU
This is so depressing. In Australia, we've had contactless payments for the last 3+ years - PayPass and PayWave are basically accepted nationwide. Waiting for the Banks and Apple to turn on Apple Pay is painful! :-/

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
I have my MasterCard on it. And my grocery store accepts and where I work also accepts it. A majority of the places I go works.

I wish I was as lucky as you then... I have had Apple pay for over a year now and the only place I get to use it on a regular basis is Petco.
I wish a local super market and gas stations would take it but down here it's only Whole Foods, Walgreens and I don't shop there that often.....

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
I just discovered that my local supermarket started using NFC-Chip terminals, I was one of the first customers to use my Visa Paywave NFC card. Started to check out other shops and places I go to, there are quite a few in my area already. Was quite surprised, McDonald's use NFC, a few other shops, even my chinese take-away has a NFC terminal. So I assume they will also accept Apple Pay as soon as it hits Germany.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.