Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just over a week after developers pressed BBC to bring iPlayer to Apple TV by building their own proof-of-concept app, the British public broadcaster has now confirmed on Twitter and its website that it will be launching the streaming service for the new Apple TV in the "coming months."

BBC-iPlayer1.jpg
BBC iPlayer will be coming to the new Apple TV in the coming months... - BBC iPlayer (@BBCiPlayer) October 29, 2015
"Available on over 10,000 devices, BBC iPlayer is one of the biggest and best on-demand video services in the world, and has transformed how UK audiences watch programmes online," said the BBC's director-general Tony Hall.

"I am delighted that iPlayer will be coming to the new Apple TV in the coming months, helping to bring the BBC's distinctive and loved content to an even wider audience."
Auntie Player proof-of-concept iPlayer app for the new Apple TV

BBC iPlayer is an on-demand video service that allows viewers to catch up on TV show episodes and other content airing on the popular British channel. The app was not available on previous Apple TV boxes, except over AirPlay using an iPhone or iPad, despite versions existing for Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Roku, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and other streaming devices.

BBC has reversed course since the new Apple TV was announced in September, at which time it announced on Twitter it had "no plans currently" to develop an iPlayer app for the latest set-top box. iPlayer had more than 220 million TV requests in August from users on other devices, the BBC says, so a native tvOS app will be a welcomed arrival for many viewers in the United Kingdom and abroad.

Siri-Remote.jpg

Apple also confirmed to BuzzFeed News that Siri is coming to Apple Music on the new Apple TV at the beginning of next year. This functionality will allow Apple TV users to say commands such as "play the top songs from Taylor Swift's 1989 album" or "play more like this" to control Apple Music on the big screen.

The new Apple TV launches October 30, coinciding with the first deliveries to customers.

Article Link: BBC iPlayer and Siri for Apple Music Coming to New Apple TV in Months Ahead

BlackbookGuy

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Does anyone know how fees usually work for iPlayer? Is it monthly, yearly? Is there a usual even?

I love Doctor Who and would pay for it for the 4 months a year its on... :)

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
It's a free service for UK residents, funded by our TV license. I'm not aware of any legal availability outside of the U.K.

Bloody Hell. Once again we in the US have been left out. Bollocks! :)

Seriously, I am happy to hear about Apple Music, but scratching my head about why they didn't work to make it available at launch.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Still makes no sense to me that it wasn't made for the old Apple TV.

Nevertheless this is good news, the lack of it up until now probably made the Apple TV a bit of a non-starter as an option for a lot of people (here in the UK) when it was available on so many competing devices.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Does anyone know how fees usually work for iPlayer? Is it monthly, yearly? Is there a usual even?

I love Doctor Who and would pay for it for the 4 months a year its on... :)
It's free to UK residents, I guess a VPN should be able to help you get it, though I think Dr Who is aired on the same day in the US, at least it is most seasons, so not much benefit to you if that's your only requirement for it.

In future though I think the TV licensing laws are changing and that you will need a TV licence to use the iPlayer, I can see this resulting in a requirement to log in.

Reactions: ScousePete

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Never mind, I just read OllyW's post that that this is supposed to be available across the pond next year.

Last edited:

allistera

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
...that Siri is coming to Apple Music on the new Apple TV at the beginning of next year.

Next year? is it just me or is Apple still treating the Apple TV like a hobby project? Next to no marketing on it, hell it's not even displayed on their homepage, they don't seem to be investing in it at all which is a shame as it has a lot of potential.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

SnowLucas

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2015
"No plans currently" to we are planning to release iPlayer on the Apple TV isn't really a reversing of course is it?

This kind of thing is key in the UK where having apps for all the main free TV providers makes it a much easier sell for the average person. iPlayer, ITV player, 4OD and Demand 5 are the minimum required for the average UK potential buyer.

elvislives

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
London
In the coming months hey? I already have iPlayer built into my 4k TV and numerous other devices. Thanks though Apple.

yes but Apple TV will be able to do voice search across all TV services... No one has done this properly yet. The future looks good for Apple TV....:)

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
This is good news. I have iPlayer built in to my Freesat Freetime box and find it very useful on that device. I hope the functionality for Apple TV will be as good as it is on Freesat Freetime as it's really rather well thought out and a joy to use on there.

I have an AppleTV 3 in my kitchen and use iPlayer over AirPlay on that. Occasionally I need to re-boot one or both of the devices when it decides it's going to stop working (sometimes half way through a programme) so it will be good to have it available natively on my AppleTV 4. (I've had my developer kit version for a few weeks now, but can say nothing about what I think of it or what I've been doing with it. I'm smiling, though. Hint, hint.)

Good old Auntie Beeb. I was tempted to write something politically motivated as the BBC is going through charter renewal and I worry about what's going to happen to it. I'll say no more or my post will be deleted.

Reactions: vmistery and RichTF

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Surely this only becomes a TV service when live broadcast freeview TV is available on it?

Until then, it's just an add-on..

Which is why I'm still not sure how the future of TV is apps?? Given that the majority of TV viewing in the UK is switching between live freeview programming.

"No plans currently" to we are planning to release iPlayer on the Apple TV isn't really a reversing of course is it?

This kind of thing is key in the UK where having apps for all the main free TV providers makes it a much easier sell for the average person. iPlayer, ITV player, 4OD and Demand 5 are the minimum required for the average UK potential buyer.
For

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Why did they have to throw this in the article? "play the top songs from Taylor Swift's 1989 album" Is Taylor Swift really that popular and people care about her that much? I honestly don't know any of her songs and I'm tired of her piping of in every article that mentions Apple Music.

Anyway I can't wait for the BBC app, love British and European tv shows. Also can't wait for Siri integration into Apple Music on the Apple TV.

Anyone knows how this ties into home kit? Can I tell Siri on my phone to play a song on my Apple TV and it will play?

Reactions: schmidt65

samofhim

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
Bristol, UK
Surely this only becomes a TV service when live broadcast freeview TV is available on it?

Until then, it's just an add-on..

Which is why I'm still not sure how the future of TV is apps?? Given that the majority of TV viewing in the UK is switching between live freeview programming.

For

Surly streaming of BBC 1,2,3,4,News,CBBC,CBeebies and Regions as it already does on most of the iPlayer apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.