Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of iOS 9.2 to developers for testing purposes, one week after seeding the first iOS 9.2 beta and two weeks after releasing iOS 9.1 to the public.

The new iOS 9.2 beta, build 13C5060d, is available as an over-the-air update and through the Apple Developer Center.

ios_9_2_beta_2.jpg

The first beta of iOS 9.2 introduced some changes for the Safari View Controller within apps, letting it work more like the standard Safari app with support for third-party Action Extensions and the ability to long tap on the Reload button to reload content without content blockers or request desktop site.

iOS 9.2 also includes a number of bug fixes and performance enhancements, many of which are under-the-hood improvements. Thus far no other outward-facing changes have been discovered, but updates in the second beta will be listed below if found.

Bug Fixes in iOS 9.2 Beta 2:

- Un-paring and re-pairing the Apple Watch will no longer cause the Stocks glance to go missing.
- Syncing Music to the Apple Watch has been fixed.
- An issue impacting audio quality when playing audio over USB in some car stereos has been fixed.
- A bug with iCloud Keychain has been fixed, so users should no longer see "Could Not Set Up iCloud Keychain" errors.
- Videos with 'folw' track associations will no longer fail to play on 32-bit devices.

New Features in iOS 9.2 Beta 2:
- It's now possible to dismiss the Safari View Controller with an edge swipe.

- The second iOS 9.2 beta includes support for AT&T's NumberSync feature, which is part of Wi-Fi Calling. With NumberSync, AT&T users can receive calls to their phone numbers on Macs and iPads even when those devices are not on the same Wi-Fi network as the iPhone.

attnumbersync.jpg

The functionality is similar to the Continuity feature that allows phone calls to be answered on devices other than an iPhone, but that feature currently requires an iPad or Mac to be on the same Wi-Fi network as the iPhone and signed into the same iCloud account. With the addition of NumberSync, the devices are no longer required to be on the same network and answering calls on a Mac or an iPad is even possible if an iPhone is missing or has a dead battery.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second iOS 9.2 Beta to Developers

Reactions: 212rikanmofo

CrystalPepsi

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
EDIT: Refreshed and it's there. It must have went live at exactly 1:00PM.

1:00pm EST. Not seeing the OTA update yet on 9.2 beta 1.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
It's never going to be fixed, it needed 2GB of RAM from the start...

It's funny how people believe this. iPads with larger screens and 1GB of RAM ran iOS 8 perfectly smoothly. iOS 9's lag is down to poor optimisation, commonly found in early builds of iOS. So far 9.2 has returned by iPhone 6 and Air 2 to near 8.4.1 levels of performance, and that's only beta 1. By the time this goes public I have a feeling users of newer devices will be very happy.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Help needed. This comes when I select download for my 5s.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 11.38.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 11.38.34 PM.png
    58 KB · Views: 312

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
It's never going to be fixed, it needed 2GB of RAM from the start...
The 'fix' is in the jailbreak (9.02) - there are tweaks such as 'NoSlowAnimations' which speed up the UI and make the device less lagging. Some people have reported better performance on a restored as new device - besides that, this is a memory challenge device.

If you are on a yearly upgrade program get it rid of it - otherwise there is always iPhone 7.

chalkdiesel

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2015
Alabama
I have to admit Apple has been killing the beta testing game. I enjoy being a part of it all so far. I'm using iPhone 5 with Verizon and the 9.2 PB 1 has ran really smooth. Also, what issues are people having with Siri? It's been working amazing and works extremely well with my Bluetooth headphones and Apple music while in the gym.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
RAM doesn't influence things like that. It may cause Safari to refresh sooner than 2 GB devices, but animations are not really affected by RAM.
That was my thinking as well but this is a metal capable device, meaning all the UI should be drawn on hardware and should be fast. So either Metal needs additional memory to operate efficiently, IOS 9 requires more memory or a combination of factors is at play here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.