Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Since launching in September alongside the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, iOS 9 has seen its adoption rate grow to 66 percent of active iOS devices, according to numbers on the Apple Developer Support page. Two weeks ago, iOS 9 adoption sat at 61 percent.
Screen-Shot-2015-11-03-at-5.57.48-PM.png
After 24 hours, iOS 9 adoption was in line with the adoption rate of iOS 8. However, in late September Apple announced that the newest version of iOS had the fastest adoption ever and was on pace to be downloaded by more users than any other version of the mobile operating system. iOS 8 only achieved a 64 percent adoption rate by December 23 and a 68 percent adoption rate by January 7, ending up with a high of 87 percent on the eve of iOS 9's launch.

Apple released the first major update to iOS 9 two weeks ago with iOS 9.1, which featured a slew of brand-new emojis. Since that update, iOS 9 adoption has grown by 5 percent. Earlier today Apple seeded the second beta for iOS 9.2, the second major update to its newest mobile operating system.

Article Link: iOS 9 Adoption Jumps to 66 Percent After iOS 9.1 Emoji Update

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
It was like 50% after only one week, 60% after like two weeks, and now only 66% ?

Which leads me to believe ~30% of the iOS ecosystem consists of 4 types of people :
A) Are waiting for a stable version
B) Don't care about upgrading
C) Don't know how to upgrade (moms and dads :D)
D) Tell themselves they will upgrade later but procrastinate

....assuming this % is based on iOS9-eligible devices.

Reactions: Sea Bass and allpar

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Pretty impressive results from the lockout.

The lockout?

Yes, you know, the one where if you want to try the newer OS, shortly thereafter they stop allowing us to downgrade back to WHAT WE PAID FOR!

Why don't they be honest!

Honesty?

I can't seem to find the definition via El Capitans built in dictionary.... :eek:

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
I'll occasionally get a personal text that has emoji things in it. I find it ok coming from younger family members but anything more than a smiley face from an adult seems juvenile.

If I get texts with more than a few emoji characters I usually don't even try to figure out what its trying to communicate. :rolleyes: oh the irony

oneshotpro

Suspended
Aug 13, 2014
Still on 8 here. after experience massive slowdown with a previous iPhone with updates, will not be upgrading. Apple only optimizes updates for the latest phone 6s/6s + (which have 2gb ram), the rest on 1gb or less. Every update will only slow from here on out on the 1gb and less phones.

my parents iPad takes 5-10 seconds to open apps.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Pretty impressive results from the lockout.

The lockout?

Yes, you know, the one where if you want to try the newer OS, shortly thereafter they stop allowing us to downgrade back to WHAT WE PAID FOR!
You're not buying the OS, you're licensing it. So what you paid for was the hardware.
Why don't they be honest!

Honesty?

I can't seem to find the definition via El Capitans built in dictionary.... :eek:
XA0auJu.png

Your licensed version of El Cap must not be working correctly ;):D

Last edited:

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
You're not buying the OS, you're licensing it. So you what you paid for was the hardware.

XA0auJu.png

Your licensed version of El Cap must not be working correcting ;):D
I know I know... we are only buying the hardware. I've heard that one a thousand times :D

You do seem quite proficient at looking things up. Perhaps I need a training class... :eek:

OK, OK, I'll cool my jets over what is nothing more than Apples usual marketing tactics.

Marketing that I've personally acknowledged on the forum as world class. :D

chinito77

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2015
Japan
I held off because some apps I use daily were not 9.0 ready. Only reason I updated was to get ready for Apple TV which the setup failed and I had to do things manually. I'm sure a large portion of Apple TV users did the same.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
They must have heard about the Easter Egg feature...

By updating your software to iOS 9, your iPhone and your iPad become waterproof!

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Well, there you go.
I guess I am completely out of touch with the priorities of the modern Apple user after all.

Or maybe the big jump is due to a growing # of users having learned from experience that its safer to wait for a .1 update before upgrading to a new OS.

Last edited:
Reactions: allpar and kdarling

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014
The 9.1 update was the only reason I updated. Emojis had nothing to do with it, which I couldn't care less about. And to draw a correlation between the percentage who since updated to 9.1 and that it also included an updated library of emojis is clutching at straws.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
It's viral. I got several people to update by sending them middle finger emojis and telling them they would see it only after they update.

Do you think the average person would care otherwise?

Reactions: ErikGrim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.