Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sotheby's will soon be auctioning a contemporary Macintosh painting by the late Andy Warhol, a successful artist known for his paintings of iconic American objects like Coca-Cola and Campbell's Soup and celebrities including Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley and Muhammad Ali.

Macintosh-Ad-Warhol.jpg

The acrylic and silkscreen canvas painting is part of Warhol's "Ads" suite from 1985, one year after the original Macintosh launched. The painting, which features Apple's old rainbow logo sandwiched between the words Apple and Macintosh, is estimated to receive between $400,000 and $600,000 U.S. at auction.
"We went into Sean [John Lennon's son]'s bedroom-and there was a kid there setting up the Apple computer that Sean had gotten as a present, the Macintosh model. I said that once some man had been calling me a lot wanting to give me one, but that I'd never called him back or something, and then the kid looked up and said, 'Yeah, that was me. I'm Steve Jobs.' And he looked so young, like a college guy. And he told me that he would still send me one now. And then he gave me a lesson on drawing with it. It only comes in black and white now, but they'll make it soon in color...I felt so old and out of it with this young whiz guy right there who helped invent it." -- Andy Warhol
The starting bid for the Macintosh painting will be $280,000 U.S. when the eBay auction starts on November 12 at 9:30 AM Eastern. The painting is in very good condition overall based on the Sotheby's report, with only light wear and handling along the edges, minor hairline craquelure, possible retouching and a few other blemishes.

Article Link: Classic Andy Warhol 'Macintosh' Painting Could Fetch $600,000 at Auction

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I guess I just don't get art...
I don't get modern art or pop art very well myself. A lot of Warhol's work looks to me like someone messing around with Photoshop filters. But maybe that was the point? And were the filters created to mimic his work? I don't know. He was very iconic and influential so I would imagine lots of people out there do get what he was doing. My sister-in-law is a fan so maybe she will explain it to me one day.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Seems a bit low. Not one of Warhol's best pieces of work by a long shot. But the combo of hot Apple and Warhol name would make me think this should go higher. I mean Tim Cook should just buy it and stick it in the headquarters. Or you would figure that some internet billionaire would want to have it in their homes. It is "cool" because it is Warhol and it is something that their peer group will get because it is Apple.

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
I'd like to know the back story of how Steve Jobs ended up bringing a Mac over to John Lennon's house :)
I'm going to guess is has something to do with Steve being a huge Beatles fans, even to the point of naming his company after their record label....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.