Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared five new ads for the fourth-generation Apple TV on its YouTube channel, highlighting a handful of notable and popular apps that are available for the new device. These mark some of the first Apple TV ads Apple has released since the fourth-generation Apple TV launched in late October.

Each ad is just sixteen seconds in length and depicts one of five Apple TV apps and games, including Crossy Road, Netflix, HBO NOW, Disney Infinity 3.0, and Asphalt 8. The videos show a brief glance at each app before cutting to an overall view of the new interface of the Apple TV.

The fourth-generation Apple TV features both an entirely new operating system and a full App Store for the first time, letting users access apps and games on the device. These new Apple TV ads, which will help with app discovery, will likely start showing up on TV over the course of the next few days.

Update 11/18: Apple has added one more Apple TV video to YouTube, this time highlighting the ABC app.

Article Link: Apple Shares New Apple TV Ads Highlighting Apps and Games

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
All they are showing is games and videos. What is the product, is it an actual Apple TV, a box etc.

They are selling something and they don't show what they are selling. At least with the iPhone, iPad, iPod, Mac they actually show what the product is and what it does in a quick and entertaining ad.

I love my ATV 4 but this is just complete crap.

At least show the unique remote, and how easy it is to use and actually use the apps and games with.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
All they are showing is games and videos. What is the product, is it an actual Apple TV, a box etc.

They are selling something and they don;t show what they are selling. At least with the iPhone, iPad, iPod, Mac they actually show what the product is and what it does in a quick and entertaining ad.

This is just complete crap.

I think the product is the UI and it's ability to run apps. What does it matter what the box looks like?

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Its probably quite hard to sell an Apple TV as there are not that many apps on it YET and apps are the big thing of the Apple TV

Apple managed to sell quite a few AppleTV3 with very few apps. The new TV is actually pretty cool. While the App Store is nothing like the iPhone store, it is growing rapidly. In fact my biggest complaint is that it is hard to find apps. They only have two categories: Game and Entertainment, and the only way to find apps that aren't being featured is to search alphabetically one letter at a time.

I'm sure it will get better, but right now, the bigger issue to how find the apps more than it is the lack of apps.

Reactions: PotatoLeekSoup

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Pretty sure a device needs to be at least 32-bit to show Netflix. Heck you really need 8-bits to show even color in any meaningful way.

1 bit is enough to emulate any number of bits.
Any number of bits can emulate any other number of bits.
Whether a machine is a Turing machine has nothing to do with the number of bits.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
1 bit is enough to emulate any number of bits.
Any number of bits can emulate any other number of bits.
Whether a machine is a Turing machine has nothing to do with the number of bits.

In theory, yes. In practice, I don't know of any 2-bit machines (as the OPs post said) that can run Netflix.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
In theory, yes. In practice, I don't know of any 2-bit machines (as the OPs post said) that can run Netflix.
2bb06ffa_sure-if-serious-i-am-not.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.