Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The MOS Pack, available now on Kickstarter, is a backpack that includes a built-in power strip and cable management system that allows all of the devices inside to be charged by a single power cord without taking anything out of the backpack.

mospack.jpg

Ideal for travel, the MOS Pack can hold charging cables for a MacBook, an iPad, and an iPhone all at once, with each one plugging into an included MOS Reach power strip. The MOS Reach includes two USB charging ports for iOS devices (or other USB-powered electronics) and a standard port that can accommodate a MacBook's Power Adapter.

mospackorganization.jpg

Cords are cleverly routed through cable management sleeves to keep them organized and out of sight, and the small power strip is concealed at the bottom of the backpack and kept in place with magnets. The MOS Pack includes a padded laptop sleeve, a tablet sleeve, an iPhone pocket, a waterproof water bottle pocket, a passport pocket, a hard glasses case, and slots for pens and pencils.

mospackcharging.jpg

The MOS team has produced and shipped several other products via Kickstarter, including the original MOS Magnetic Organization System, the MOS Spring, and the MOS Reach, establishing itself as a reliable manufacturer.

The MOS Pack can be pre-ordered via Kickstarter for an early bird pledge of $120. When the early bird units have sold out, the price will be $140. MOS plans to begin shipping backpacks in March of 2016.

Article Link: 'MOS Pack' Backpack Features a Built-In Power Strip for Hassle-Free Charging of All Your Devices

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Seems a bit basic. I'm sure that the components are held in a certain way from within, but this is something that seems doable with ANY backpack... assuming it's safe or practical. I could imagine some kid taking a dirty, ripped-up Jansport pack and doing just this with it. Interesting concept, though; it just has some ways to go.

Last edited:

bn8959

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2015
I'm sure this is a bad idea. The chargers, and devices in fact, I'm sure will be designed to be in free air when charging. Things could get dangerously hot in there!

Also macs could wake from sleep when on power and start producing even more heat (time machine backup for example).

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
So the laptop sits flat in the backpack? I'm curious about how it is held from within. Judging by the diagram, it looks as though the laptop is sitting flat - as it would on a table.
I don't follow... It holds a laptop just like any other backpack holds a laptop...vertically.

Soooo... the only thing special about this backpack is it has a SINGLE outlet power strip with 2 USB ports? I can get a similarly compartmentalized backpack for $50-75 and a much better power strip with more outlets and 2-4 USB ports for an extra $20. Is this a paid advertisement? Because I'm not really seeing anything revolutionary here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
MOS reach chargers (basically what's in the bag) have a high failure rate in the quality. Basically the casing was as made cheaper than cheap and leaves the inside boards and components exposed. I would strongly avoid MOS, customer service is like working with the cable companies (basically we sell it to be used horizontally and mounted vertically, but don't touch it because it'll fall apart when you try to unplug).

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
Yawn. Ful's powerbag has been around forever.

Soooo... the only thing special about this backpack is it has a SINGLE outlet power strip with 2 USB ports? I can get a similarly compartmentalized backpack for $50-75 and a much better power strip with more outlets and 2-4 USB ports for an extra $20. Is this a paid advertisement? Because I'm not really seeing anything revolutionary here.

I think Kickstarter is less a place for startups an more a place for advertisements and dumping stock. Hasn't pebble been on there like 10 times? Haha

Last edited by a moderator:

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
too risky... imagine destroying $3,000 or more of tech in a bag created by a "kickstarter". They'll need a $10,000 free protection and replacement plan in order to get me to plug in all my device in an enclosed bag

Reactions: maxsix

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
Or I can put a power-strip in a bag I already own.

Total cost: $0

It's unlikely that your bag is engineered to allow your devices to fit snugly and also charge without crimping the cable. I know my Timbuktu isn't. Also you're going to want a power strip that doesn't have a conspicuous, easy to flip power switch.

There's also the small matter of wanting a nice looking, fitting solution to a real daily problem but I'm sure that doesn't matter to you if your first thought is how much it'll cost. Maker tip: you can make a pretty sweet laptop case out of three ply of small plastic bags from Aldi and some duct tape for straps.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
I don't follow... It holds a laptop just like any other backpack holds a laptop...vertically.

Just a really weird diagram, though. Think about a laptop sitting flat on a desk... then take away the desk and surround the laptop with a backpack; that's what this crappy diagram makes it look like.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just a really weird diagram, though. Think about a laptop sitting flat on a desk... then take away the desk and surround the laptop with a backpack; that's what this crappy diagram makes it look like.
I guess someone could see it that way possibly, but for most, especially knowing that its in a context of a backpack, it seems like they see that it's in a pocket with the edge showing and the charger plugged in to the side that is on top basically when the laptop is sideways.

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
I'm still at a loss on how one would possibly come to that assumption from what is shown. The only thing showing a laptop lying flat on a table also shows the backpack lying flat on a table. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see anyone coming to that conclusion.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm still at a loss on how one would possibly come to that assumption from what is shown. The only thing showing a laptop lying flat on a table also shows the backpack lying flat on a table. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see anyone coming to that conclusion.
I think it's because a small sliver of the laptop is shown (since the rest is in a pocket), and I guess someone might interpret that as the side view of the closed laptop (as if it's standing on something and someone is viewing it from the side). Not really where the mind would typically go in the context of a backpack/bag, but I guess based on the sliver of the laptop that is displayed someone could perhaps think of it that way for some reason.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
I think it's because a small sliver of the laptop is shown (since the rest is in a pocket), and I guess someone might interpret that as the side view of the closed laptop (as if it's standing on something and someone is viewing it from the side). Not really where the mind would typically go in the context of a backpack/bag, but I guess based on the sliver of the laptop that is displayed someone could perhaps think of it that way for some reason.

I mean, I don't actually think that the laptop is going to be positioned that way; the sliver just made it look like it was positioned in such a way, and it caught me off guard for a second there.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014

Of course I didn't think that it was positioned that way; I initially thought that it was a sucky diagram. However, I was in a rush when I saw the picture. Now that I look at it again, I can see that the laptop is peeking out of its sleeve. With a brief glance, it looked like something else.

AnyMeans

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2015
Say what you want about the power strip, but I am impressed by the seperate pockets for the water bottle and sunglasses. I don't know how common those items are on laptop backpacks, but that alone tells me that this pack may be very thought out and practical. I already carry a portable power strip when I travel, but not often enough to where I need one built into the bag, but can see the purpose. Based off of my own experience though, it looks like the power strip could use a rotating socket...

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Some might like it, personally I take all my stiff out and charge it.

Not on my radar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.