Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple-sd-card-adapter-usb-3-250x189.jpg
Apple has released a new Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader with support for up to USB 3.0 speeds on iPad Pro, and USB 2.0 speeds on all other iPad and iPhone models, as spotted by iDownloadBlog. The dongle retails for $29 on the Apple Online Store in the U.S. and is available to ship for delivery within approximately one week.

Last month, it was discovered that the iPad Pro's Lightning port supports USB 3.0 transfer speeds, allowing for data transfer speeds upwards of 60MB/s to a theoretical max of 625MB/s. All other iPads and iPhones can only transfer data at USB 2.0 speeds of around 25 to 35MB/s, since only the iPad Pro has the necessary hardware -- a Fresco Logic FL1100 4-port USB 3.0 Host Controller.

Apple has not updated its Lightning to USB Camera Adapter or other accessories to support the iPad Pro's USB 3.0 speeds, but multiple sources have previously confirmed that adapters are in the works. It remains unclear, however, if Apple plans on introducing new Lightning cables that will enable USB 3.0 speeds when transferring files from a computer to an iPad Pro.

Apple's new Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader is also available for £25 in the U.K. and $35 in Canada. Prices vary in other countries.

Article Link: Apple Releases Lightning to SD Camera Reader With USB 3.0 Speeds on iPad Pro

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
My SD card reader has NEVER worked with my iPhone...

As recently as October...

Do I have to have the NEW SD Card reader for iPhone... or has something been updated so my iPhone will work now.

Just this morning I was searching for a lightning to CF reader. Close but no cigar for me
Apple has no interest in supporting high end photography. Only bargain-bin cameras.

Reactions: AleXXXa

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Interesting that Apple seems to be suddenly releasing a bunch of quality accessories. I think they are actively trying to box out all the arguments that people make about not having certain "features" in order to peel off even more competing platforms' users.

Do I have to have the NEW SD Card reader for iPhone... or has something been updated so my iPhone will work now.

Did you actually do anything on your end to engage Apple on this issue? Anything at all? Saying "oh I have this thing and it never worked" with absolutely no context is about as useful as a review of a restaurant you didn't patronize.

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004
So I'm gonna have to re-buy all my lightning cables because they are only capable of USB 2 speeds?

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Sweet I was always upset that I couldn't use the adapter on my iPhone but now you can.

Apple has no interest in supporting high end photography. Only bargain-bin cameras.

No, I used my original lightning to SD card reader with my 6 plus and it works flawlessly

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Avieshek

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Just this morning I was searching for a lightning to CF reader. Close but no cigar for me
Apple has no interest in supporting high end photography.
Interesting that Apple seems to be suddenly releasing a bunch of quality accessories. I think they are actively trying to box out all the arguments that people make about not having certain "features" in order to peel off even more competing platforms' users.

Did you actually do anything on your end to engage Apple on this issue? Anything at all? Saying "oh I have this thing and it never worked" with absolutely no context is about as useful as a review of a restaurant you didn't patronize.
Always worked with iPad.
I knew when I bought it, that it wouldn't work. Reports online, and apple support said non-support.
It sucked, and petty of Apple, but I still bought it knowing this as I got benefit with iPad.

No, I used my original lightning to SD card reader with my 6 plus and it works flawlessly
AWESOME!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Does anyone know the highest size card it will support? (I have a 128gb and 256gb)

OK let's assume it works with ANY modern SD card. What do you do with 256GB of photos on your iPhone? Obviously you don't upload then you your iPhone as no iPhone has that much memory. You don't even upload them to your iCloud based photos library as no one could stand to wait whale 256GB of data is uploaded over the Internet, your iPhone battery might die before the upload finished and you can't plug the phone into a charger while the dongle is in place.

OK I think this leave just browsing the images in the SD card and perhaps editing/deleting some of them or being very selective in what images you upload.

But does the iPhone have a way to browse the images on the SD card other than just scrolling up and down. That would take a LONG time on a 256GB card.

Next question. If the images on the SD card are Nikon .NEF (RAW) files can I view them on my phone?

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008

Wow, I totally missed that these are compatible with the iPhone now. How long has that been?

I haven't been able to test this out yet myself, but users in this thread have recently discovered that the older lightning SD card reader indeed has started to work with their iPhones. I think they're all running 9.2 beta.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Useless to photographers until the iPad has a file system. I need to be able to move and organise RAW files between external drives and folders. Absolutely no support for this on iPad 'Pro'. One wonders.
I'm a pretty big Apple fan but how we're not allowed such basic functionality is beyond me.

Reactions: NMBob

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
It's too much of a pain to do anything with pics once they're loaded on an ipad. Still glad I took back the ipad pro though. I'm enjoying the MBP much more (purchased over summer) and considering getting an imac. I would get an air 2 but not enough of an upgrade over the ipad air I have.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Useless to photographers until the iPad has a file system. I need to be able to move and organise RAW files between external drives and folders. Absolutely no support for this on iPad 'Pro'. One wonders.

I'm sure they will come up with something and you'll be sorry you asked. :)

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Can you edit RAW files on the iPad now?

You can certainly upload them - have been able to for ages. Not sure which programs support editing the RAW images once they are uploaded.

Edit: Yes, there are several programs which can edit RAW files on the iPad. Some of these were reported to be slow due to a combination of slow USB2 transfers (fixed now on iPad Pro) and general slowness of the iPad (also fixed now with the iPad Pro). I've just ordered one of these adapters so I'll find out for myself how well it works. That's always better than speculating I find...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.