Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A public beta of Apple Music on Sonos is now available, allowing those who own Sonos wireless speakers to use them with Apple's streaming music service for the first time since it launched in June.

The companion Sonos Controller app for iPhone and iPad was updated today with beta support for Apple Music, providing you with access to your streaming music library and playlists for playback in multiple rooms.

Apple-Music-Sonos.jpg

Sonos has posted step-by-step instructions on how to join the Apple Music beta program on its website:
How to join the beta program:
1. Open the Sonos app
2. Tap "Settings" then "Advanced Settings"
3. Tap "Beta Program"
4. Tap "Join the Beta Program"
5. Update your Sonos system*
6. Add Apple Music from the "Add Music Services" menu

*"Update Now" prompt may take up to 15 minutes to appear. Tap "Online Updates" in the Settings menu to update immediately.
Sonos users can stream songs from For You, New, Radio and My Music through Sonos apps on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac and Windows PC. The beta will be limited in some areas compared to the final version slated for release in early 2016.

Article Link: Apple Music on Sonos Now Available in Beta, Final Version Launches Early 2016

Stupotpot

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
It's very counter-intuitive. I just wish they had integrated the Apple Music into the On This Phone section rather than a separate stream. Suppose I'll get used to it, but it's a little confusing!

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I don't see the use of Apple Music in a World where Spotify and Deezer is so much easier to live with.
I have tried for three months to understand it, but failed to get offline playlists etc to work as nice as it does on Spotify.

Reactions: big-ted and JDuggan

kennyab

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2013
I just got it installed, and it's working great so far. I agree with Malcster, the app could be freshened up, but overall I get a better full-house experience than I did with the Airplay. The syncing is just better in the Sonos system, I'd get echo when trying to do multi-room Airplay from my MacBook. And this way my computer doesn't have to be in the loop.

Once I heard that Apple Music was coming to Sonos, that convinced me to try the starter kit, and I haven't been disappointed. Now if it would only work with Siri. Le sigh.

Reactions: aajeevlin

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I don't see the use of Apple Music in a World where Spotify and Deezer is so much easier to live with.
I have tried for three months to understand it, but failed to get offline playlists etc to work as nice as it does on Spotify.

Yea that was pretty much my experience as well. If I HAVE to pay for a music service, I would go for Spotify for sure.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
I can't seem to get it to show up in the ADD MUSIC SERVICES tab.

This is after updating the app, closing it and several attempts

Reactions: Southshore

Jakeycov

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
Works well here too. I like the Sonos app. It means I can keep all my music in one place - radio, streaming, downloads etc. Also works great for more than one device. Such as a get together. Everyone can control the queue easily.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'd really like to have a Sonos installed in my next house. Has anyone heard anything more about those lightbulb speakers that were shown off at CES last year? They use a bluetooth mesh network to communicate to each other along the way, and are powered by a light socket but I think they also had a light in them too and it's all controlled from your phone. It was a pretty neat idea and especially well suited for whole-house overhead audio.

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Working a treat here, setup very straightforward, although I wish Sonos would update their app, it's pretty clunky. Feels like it's from 1997.
Totally agree. Sonos needs to update their app... maybe get better UI designers in there to make it more pretty. But I'm glad Apple Music is now integrated though there maybe some bugs considering it's a beta.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
It's very counter-intuitive. I just wish they had integrated the Apple Music into the On This Phone section rather than a separate stream. Suppose I'll get used to it, but it's a little confusing!

This is why I sold mine this weekend. I didn't like having to use two separate apps (Sonos at home and Apple Music on the road). Having Apple music on my ATV4' with sound bars attached was the clincher.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I'd really like to have a Sonos installed in my next house. Has anyone heard anything more about those lightbulb speakers that were shown off at CES last year? They use a bluetooth mesh network to communicate to each other along the way, and are powered by a light socket but I think they also had a light in them too and it's all controlled from your phone. It was a pretty neat idea and especially well suited for whole-house overhead audio.

I've got a Sonos Connect Amp in my basement which powers four in-ceiling speakers in my living room. It works great. I also bought the two pack of the Play:1's, so I have one in the bathroom (great for showering and getting ready) and one in the kitchen. I also have a Play:3 that is currently in the bedroom, but I've taken it out to the patio from time to time.

I just wish the Connect Amp's were more affordable. My house is wired to have in-ceiling speakers in every room, but it was cheaper to get a few of the stand alone speakers instead.

Stupotpot

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I've got a Sonos Connect Amp in my basement which powers four in-ceiling speakers in my living room. It works great. I also bought the two pack of the Play:1's, so I have one in the bathroom (great for showering and getting ready) and one in the kitchen. I also have a Play:3 that is currently in the bedroom, but I've taken it out to the patio from time to time.

I just wish the Connect Amp's were more affordable. My house is wired to have in-ceiling speakers in every room, but it was cheaper to get a few of the stand alone speakers instead.

Can you not wire them all into the Amp? I don't really know much about it - is it limited to numbers?

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
It would be more intuitive if Apple would split the :apple: Music service into its own iOS app. There is just too much going on in the current iOS Music app.

Reactions: kyleh22 and nazaar

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
It would be more intuitive if Apple would split the :apple: Music service into its own iOS app. There is just too much going on in the current iOS Music app.
Agreed.

Apple... not as forward thinking as they used to be.

Reactions: kyleh22

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011

Why wait? a pair of Play:1 speakers are $50 off right now. I have 4 of them. I am planning to get the Playbar and sub before my 2nd kid is born and I have zero dollars to spend moving forward.

Reactions: duncansby

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011

The connect amp is expensive... but if it weren't, that's all they'd sell. People would just buy those for cheaper systems to make them all wireless and integrated. I priced it out and a connect amp + a cheaper surround system was a bit more than just buying the Playbar and sub. That's how it should be from the perspective of Sonos... that'll get me to do the Playbar and Sub versus running wires and stuff.

Quark0ne

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2015
I can't seem to get it to show up in the ADD MUSIC SERVICES tab.

This is after updating the app, closing it and several attempts

I have the same issue, not showing up in services on either the ipad, iphone or Windows PC........

No update for PC, IOS updates installed and on 6.1

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
I have the same issue, not showing up in services on either the ipad, iphone or Windows PC........

No update for PC, IOS updates installed and on 6.1

I've restarted my iPad and I know I'm in the beta program as I've been in it.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

You are completely missing the point. Use Apple Music and Apple makes more money. Use somebody else's music product and Apple makes no money (or less money). The overarching objective is for all of the money we can pull together to flow to Apple. Get with the program. Here, have a sip of this. ;)

markgpearse

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
I started joining the beta a couple of weeks ago and declined. The legal documentation they wanted me to sign was over-the-top.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.