Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

steve-jobs-blu-ray.jpg
Universal Pictures has announced the Digital HD and Blu-ray release dates for the underperforming Steve Jobs film, set to launch digitally on February 2 and then in retail locations two weeks later on February 16 of next year.

The studio noted that some of the Blu-ray special features include:
-Inside Jobs: The Making of Steve Jobs
-Feature Commentary with Director Danny Boyle
-Feature Commentary with Writer Aaron Sorkin and Editor Elliot Graham
The home release of the film coincides with the 88th Annual Academy Awards ceremony, set to kick off Sunday, February 28.

Given Universal's original Oscar push for Michael Fassbender and Kate Winslet in the lead roles, it makes sense for the studio to try and get the film in front of more people after pulling it from over 2,000 of its screening locations around the United States due to its poor box office performance.

Article Link: 'Steve Jobs' Available on Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital HD in February

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Why would it be ironic? All other Steve Jobs films are available on iTunes. "Digital" also implies iTunes. I'll be pre-ordering it there when it goes up.
Simply because Tim Cook, Lauren Powell Jobs, et.al. have been very public with their objections to its portrayal of the man. I'm interested in seeing it and considering how favorable the reviews were I am surprised how quickly it got pulled considering the talent behind it.

Reactions: MH01 and jimthing

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I'm pissed off that people are still making Steve Jobs movies. It's annoying, he's dead, everyone's over the fact that he's dead, making movies about him won't make him less dead, jeez.

I'm pissed off that people are still making Abraham Lincoln movies. It's annoying, he's dead, everyone's over the fact that he's dead, making movies about him won't make him less dead, jeez.

I'm pissed off that people are still making Martin Luther King movies. It's annoying, he's dead, everyone's over the fact that he's dead, making movies about him won't make him less dead, jeez.

I'm pissed off that people are still making John F. Kennedy movies. It's annoying, he's dead, everyone's over the fact that he's dead, making movies about him won't make him less dead, jeez.

I'm pissed off that people are still making Wyatt Earp movies. It's annoying, he's dead, everyone's over the fact that he's dead, making movies about him won't make him less dead, jeez.

I'm pissed off that people are still making George Patton movies. It's annoying, he's dead, everyone's over the fact that he's dead, making movies about him won't make him less dead, jeez.

sov33

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
Nirwalk, ct
Simply because Tim Cook, Lauren Powell Jobs, et.al. have been very public with their objections to its portrayal of the man. I'm interested in seeing it and considering how favorable the reviews were I am surprised how quickly it got pulled considering the talent behind it.
the film was mean spirited and i think that's why it failed. The version of steve jobs in this film is a complete jerk who doesn't have any redeeming qualities. i don't honestly know why it got good reviews. structurally, it was boring and all i could think of was that aaron sorkin clearly hated the guy and worse, had no respect for him.

Reactions: slicecom

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

I see what you're saying now. I also recall Eddie Cue slamming Man in the Machine on Twitter but that still got released. But I was with Cue on that one. It gave off a really bad vibe on Jobs I thought. I'm glad I just gave that one a rent.

But after seeing the movie I kind of understand why it didn't succeed in the box office. I personally liked it, but it's something I don't see it as something mainstream audiences will fully appreciate.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
the film was mean spirited and i think that's why it failed. The version of steve jobs in this film is a complete jerk who doesn't have any redeeming qualities. i don't honestly know why it got good reviews. structurally, it was boring and all i could think of was that aaron sorkin clearly hated the guy and worse, had no respect for him.
Listening to Marc Maron interview Danny Boyle, it was telling how biased Boyle was towards his perception of someone he only knew about anecdotally. I like most of the talent behind this film and will give it a fair shake, but I think they would have been better off not trying to directly link a fictional story to such a polarizing individual. Unfortunately, there is just too much judgement being passed on Steve Jobs' foibles by people who have no reason to do so other than for profit.

Last edited:

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
I'm pissed off that people are still making Abraham Lincoln movies. It's annoying, he's dead, everyone's over the fact that he's dead, making movies about him won't make him less dead, jeez.

I'm pissed off that people are still making Martin Luther King movies. It's annoying, he's dead, everyone's over the fact that he's dead, making movies about him won't make him less dead, jeez.

I'm pissed off that people are still making John F. Kennedy movies. It's annoying, he's dead, everyone's over the fact that he's dead, making movies about him won't make him less dead, jeez.

I can't predict the future, but in 100 will Apple even exist? If it does, I doubt most people will know who Steve Jobs is. Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King, and John F Kennedy will continue on.

Reactions: mkruck

CreatorCode

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
US
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt. It's great to watch the movies, but the licensing of the tech is so complex, we're waiting till things settle down and Blu-ray takes off in the marketplace." - Steve Jobs, 2008

"Well, this is awkward." - Blu-Ray Disc, 2015

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I hope there will be a bundle pack of Jobs, Steve Jobs and Pirates of Silicon Valley released at lower price, three-for-two perhaps? They could call it "Jobses".

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Let's pray that no one attempts another movie for at least 20 years. Let the man rest in peace.

As opposed to on these message boards? If we're going to let him rest - maybe less people (not saying you) should stop commenting it is or is not something Steve would do when it comes to Apple today?

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA

I'm pissed off that people are still making Wyatt Earp movies. It's annoying, he's dead, everyone's over the fact that he's dead, making movies about him won't make him less dead, jeez.

I'm pissed off that people are still making George Patton movies. It's annoying, he's dead, everyone's over the fact that he's dead, making movies about him won't make him less dead, jeez.
For me, it's Robin Hood, Superman, Batman, and Spiderman...

;)

Reactions: AngerDanger
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.