Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The original motion picture soundtrack for the brand new film Star Wars: The Force Awakens has been released today on both Apple Music and iTunes. The tracklist includes all of the orchestral highlights from the movie, beginning in what appears to be chronological order with the well-known opening crawl music to the big finale. Composed by John Williams, there are a total of 23 songs on the soundtrack worth about 1 hour and 18 minutes of playback time.

the-force-awakens-soundtrack-800x288.jpg

The full soundtrack for The Force Awakens includes:
1) Main Title and the Attack on the Jakku Village - 6:25
2) The Scavenger - 3:39
3) I Can Fly Anything - 3:10
4) Rey Meets BB-8 - 1:31
5) Follow Me - 2:54
6) Rey's Theme - 3:11
7) The Falcon - 3:32
8) That Girl with the Staff - 1:58
9) The Rathars! - 4:05
10) Finn's Confession - 2:08
11) Maz's Counsel - 3:07
12) The Starkiller - 1:50
13) Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle - 2:00
14) The Abduction - 2:23
15) Han and Leia - 4:41
16) March of the Resistance - 2:34
17) Snoke - 2:03
18) On the Inside - 2:06
19) Torn Apart - 4:19
20) The Ways of the Force - 3:14
21) Scherzo for X-Wings - 2:32
22) Farewell and the Trip - 4:55
23) The Jedi Steps and Finale - 8:51
Apple has been helping build fans' excitement over the new entry in the Star Wars saga for a while now, promoting a new Star Wars-themed Apple Music radio station earlier in the week and joining in on the digital release of all six films so far in the series in April. For those without Apple Music subscriptions, the new album costs $11.99 to purchase off of iTunes.

Article Link: 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Soundtrack Launches on Apple Music and iTunes

dude-x

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2007
New York City
Please don't include track names because when I went to see the Phantom Menace, I thought I would go by the music store and take a look at the soundtrack. One of the titles had a major spoiler in the film.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Love the original trilogy, love the music. Hate the prequels, love the music from them even more.

I really did enjoy this movie, but something seems rather off after listening to the soundtrack.
Even if it's composed by the legend himself, it's just not as compelling...

Last edited:

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
This is one of the great things about Apple Music, I can listen to full albums the day they come out. I've done this with about 5 or 6 albums in the past 2 months already.

I got away from listening to full albums in the past 10 years with how pandora, spotify, etc. work. Now, I'm back to that when I want to.

Love listening to the soundtrack after seeing the movie last night.

POSSIBLE SPOILER: It's missing the sound track to the bar scene?

Reactions: orbital~debris

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
This is one of the great things about Apple Music, I can listen to full albums the day they come out. I've done this with about 5 or 6 albums in the past 2 months already.

I got away from listening to full albums in the past 10 years with how pandora, spotify, etc. work. Now, I'm back to that when I want to.
The album is available on Spotify too. Don't know about Pandora.

Reactions: AleXXXa

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
As a musician, my 2nd viewing at the cinema was more a listening experience than a visual one, and now ive had the chance to play at home, there is some utterly beeautiful moments in this soundtrack, and some slighty irratating overly brassy ones....but, i forgive him for those purely for the good parts. 2nd part of Scavenger and Rey's theme are lush, almost like a scifi western vibe if that makes sense.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Love the original trilogy, love the music. Hate the prequels, love the music from them even more.

I really did enjoy this movie, but something seems rather off after listening to the soundtrack.
It was very much more along the lines of his work on Schindler's List and Memoirs of a Geisha than his work on the other Star Wars and Indiana Jones, and other movies of that ilk. It surprised me a little hearing it in the theater, but now that I'm listening to the soundtrack, I'm appreciating the subtlety and nuance that doesn't really come across in the theater.

Reactions: BlueParadox

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
The best sound track is when han gets killed by his own son. That moment was like so predictable anyway...movie was meh at best.

Last edited by a moderator:

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Better than the overall movie... would love to post spoilers, but half of those can easily be seen on the gigantic 27x40 movie poster...

Last edited:
Reactions: AleXXXa

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA

The prequels failed for various reasons, but they did at least offer some decent ideas and felt closer to the original claimed concept of multi-part arc Lucas kept claiming (despite some continuity gaffes). Episode 7 felt entirely disjointed when otherwise not being a rehash with pointless winks and nods to the old movies... JJ's Ep7 is better than JJ's poorly made Trek rehashes, but Lucas - for all of his 6 movies' issues - had far more original and risk-taking. It's not good business to pay for creatively empty romps, regardless of how many production values are thrown at it. Good acting, though, and at least -- (wait, that would lead to a spoiler...)

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
This soundtrack, uh, I don't know if it is good.
But previous episodes have no discount on iTunes Store. $110 AUD is not good at all.
Price is still a problem. I really want to buy this album but I don't know if it worths it.

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
This score is uninspiring and dull. Sans the original peices peppered about of course. The score was the only let down for an otherwise great film.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I was not impressed with the music in the film at all. Even when the old tunes were re-used they sounded lifeless, so the way they're presented is obviously not good, which could of course mean that the new tunes are good when well presented.

Reactions: keysofanxiety
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.