Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Catcher Technology will remain the largest chassis supplier for the upcoming line of next-generation iPhones, tentatively referred to as the "iPhone 7," according to the China-based Commercial Times (via DigiTimes). Sources noted that Catcher's non-Apple clients, representing about 40 percent of its overall sales, will keep it going until the majority of its output begins with the manufacturing of the iPhone 7 later in 2016. In total, Catcher Technology's manufacturing supply is estimated to account for 30 to 35 percent of the shipment numbers for the iPhone 7.

iPhone-7-Martin-Hajek-800x471.jpg
iPhone 7 concept mock-up by designer Martin Hajek

The report also mentioned the continuing rumor that the iPhone 7 may be a completely waterproof device, building on the recent momentum that the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus had this year that showed improved water resistance. The Commercial Times also spoke of "new compound materials" that would be put in place to form a discreet housing for the iPhone 7's antenna, suggesting the possible removal of the bands from the back of the current iPhone generation.

As a non S-generation year, the iPhone 7 is expected to be a big step-up from the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, in terms of design and functionality, when it launches next year. Besides a waterproof design and now the possibility of a hidden antenna band, another rumor suggested Apple could be phasing out the 3.5mm headphone jack for an all-in-one Lightning connector port.

Article Link: 'iPhone 7' Waterproof Rumors Persist Amid Claims of Hidden Antenna Bands

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
If it looks like that I’ll buy two. Puleeeezzz Jony and all will be forgiven. I’ll also stop moaning about the 16GB base storage. (I’ll still moan about the camera if it sticks out tho).
That’s the best looking phone I’ve seen to date from any manufacturer. Not being waterproof isn’t a deal breaker either.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
All-in-one Lightning port sounds good.
Presumably it's necessary to remove the 3.5 socket in the search for waterproofness.. and that's also assuming the Lightning port itself can be made waterproof..

But it is going to be a real provocative move by Apple to render all 3.5 headphones suddenly useless.. (Without the Apple lightning to 3.5 adapter at $79..!)

Reactions: kwikdeth

jglonek

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2012
After having to replace an iPhone 5 due to water getting in the speaker port and ruining the screen I would absolutely grab an iPhone 7 if it's waterproof.

(It was my wife's phone, and it was a completely legitimate and unavoidable situation due to her job).

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Oh please let the hidden antenna bands be true. I'm in love with my rose gold 6s+ but those bands sometimes ruin the look for me.

Why they didn't color key the bands to make them less noticeable I'll never know. It's as if they wanted them to be a focal point (under the case that is). With the way Apple like glue/epoxy, etc. I'd think every phone would be waterproof by now.

SesameWasher

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2015
Seems like the big complication for the current generation iPhones are:
The antenna bands
The camera that sticks out
And the two dots layout in the front.

I don't really mind the white band and back camera that much, but if it can be fixed that's great.
The third one however bugs me.

Although I know overall it's a compromises since there's no better way to do, but still hope things can be improved.

Reactions: appledefenceforce
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.