Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A wide range of notebooks and two-in-one laptops have been announced at CES 2016, including new Lenovo, LG and HP models that closely resemble the look, feel and size of Apple's 12-inch Retina MacBook, which starts at $1,299.

Lenovo-Yoga-900S.jpg
Lenovo's 12-inch Yoga 900S convertible laptop

Lenovo's new 12-inch YOGA 900S, for example, which it claims is the world's thinnest convertible laptop, has an ultra-thin 0.5-inch carbon fiber design that weighs around 2.2 lbs -- slightly heavier than the 2.03-lb Retina MacBook.

The two-in-one Windows 10 laptop is powered by an Intel Core m7 processor and features a 360-degree watchband hinge, Dolby Audio Premium, up to 10.5 hours of video playback on a single charge and an optional QHD screen resolution (2,560x1,440 pixels). The laptop ships in March 2016, starting at $1,099.

LG-Gram-15.jpg
LG's 15-inch Gram 15 notebook is the lightest 15-inch notebook ever

A closer match to the Retina MacBook is LG's new Gram 15 laptop, which essentially looks like a 15-inch version of Apple's 12-inch notebook -- it is even available in a strikingly familiar gold color. Weighing just 2.16 lbs, the Gram 15 is the lightest 15-inch laptop ever, and it is also just 0.6 inches thick.

LG's Gram 15 runs Windows 10 and features a sixth-generation Core i5 or i7 processor, 1080p IPS display, USB-C, HDMI, USB 3.0, microUSB and microSD slots and battery life up to 7 hours on a single charge, according to The Verge. LG has not confirmed the notebook's price or availability.

HP-EliteBook-Folio.jpeg
HP's 12.5-inch EliteBook Folio features a bezel-free 4K display

Rounding off the trio is HP's new EliteBook Folio, a 12.5-inch Windows 10 laptop that is 0.49 inches thick and weighs less than 1 kg (2.2 lbs). The business-class notebook has a tapered metallic design, akin to the Retina MacBook, and features an Intel Core M processor and 4K bezel-free display at 352 PPI.

HP's EliteBook Folio will be released in March, priced from $999, according to Engadget.

Article Link: Lenovo, LG and HP Introduce MacBook Lookalikes at CES 2016

Reactions: xerexes1

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The Yoga is hideous. It resembles a MacBook about as much as a ThinkPad does.

With the LG Gram, I can see the resemblance. The back hinge is off, but it's otherwise pretty darn similar looking.

The HP EliteBook Folio looks like it might be indistinguishable from some angles, where the logos aren't visible.

Reactions: blakethebeast10

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Apple comes up with a new model and everyone else copies it and then goes on later how Apple doesn't innovate anymore. If that's true, then why does everyone copy Apple designs in such a rabid manner? ;)

Apple does not innovate, they just follow the natural evolution - it is the natural evolution of things, there is just no other way of doing this in newer generation laptops. Only Samsung innovates.

/s

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I loved the years when CES would go on and then Apple would have a press event at the end of CES in SF that would totally steal the show without even being there.

As for these new laptops... not surprising. I wonder if the insides are as nicely engineered as Apple's?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Rounding off the trio is HP's new EliteBook Folio, a 12.5-inch Windows 10 laptop that is 0.49 inches thick and weighs less than 1 kg (2.2 lbs). The business-class notebook has a tapered metallic design, akin to the Retina MacBook, and features an Intel Core M processor and 4K bezel-free display at 352 PPI.

Bezel free, is that even possible?
If that's the case it will be a very nice display including 4k.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Wait so there are Windows laptops that are thinner than the retina MacBook but with more ports? If that's the case I think it puts to bed the notion that the retina MacBook only has one port because of Apple's obsession with thinness.

As for the 12" models:
HP - 2x USB-C ports.
Lenovo - 2x USB3.1 ports, and 1x USB-C port.

If this doesn't show that having only one USB-C port is purely stubborness, and has nothing to do with thinness or battery life, I don't know what will.

But it's so easy to use the thinness argument. Everything someone doesn't like is because Apple's obsession with thinness. I'll bet any money the rMBP gets a redesign with Skylake and all the ports will be there.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
if you can't beat 'em, copy 'em.

That's not how i remembered it...

I like the LG one.

This is one place Apple hasan't caught up is in speakers

No Apple laptop has Dolby sound yet..., not even the iPad Pro with the "sound that adjusts as u tilt"

Sure, its cool, but its no Dolby...

Just for the sound alone, I wish Apple had caught up in this, but maybe to much focused on these little tricks instead.

So, this area is one thing that this saying does not work :)

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I'm calling it right now...once Apple gets rid of the headphone jack in the iPhone 7, in the next year or so, hardly any smartphones will have them.

Ah, but what's the replacement? "copycat"ting a proprietary interface completely controlled by Apple won't fly. So do the copycats make other proprietary interfaces so we can have huge fragmentation away from one standard? Can't wait for needing multiple adapters to unhook headphones from an iDevice to then plug into some piece of home audio equipment not made by Apple, and then maybe yet another adapter to jack into a friends mobile music device when they want to share a listening experience together. Horray!!! The Future :rolleyes:

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
Wait so there are Windows laptops that are thinner than the retina MacBook but with more ports? If that's the case I think it puts to bed the notion that the retina MacBook only has one port because of Apple's obsession with thinness.

Not really considering the display is only 1080p so requires less battery power. Also we don't know any of the dimensions. They might be really wide.

Edit: completely misread your post sorry

Last edited:
Reactions: B.A.T

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Lol, sure, these are a little more than "complimentary" on the style.

But by now Apple (and their fanbois) should be secure enough with the knowledge that for design and style they are innovators and if everyone else is copying them, then it's just because they succeeded.

Apple has to stop being so defensive about this. Obviously if you want a Windows PC that looks like a Mac you are not going to buy a Mac, with a higher price tag and then have to purchase and install Windows after the fact. To be honest Mac's make horrible Windows boxes with Apple's proprietary drivers. Apple should really be focused on promoting OS X and Mac's as the alternative that are designed, inclusive of case, hardware and software as a fully integrated and well thought out product, not just Windows in another fancy skin.

Apple can't be market leaders and then continue to be defensive about every knock off and duplication of their "style". And while it is disappointing that most PC manufacturers can't develop their own look and feel, if I were Apple I wouldn't or should not care, especially if Apple is also trying to be the voice of the "post-PC" era and promoting iPad as the true next-generation in personal computing.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
The LG looks nice and offering a 15" screen is what I want Apple to do with the rMB. I don't need the power of the rMBP (that I'm currently using) but I do need the screen size. I love the rMB, for it's thin and light form, but my aging eyes need a bigger screen and frankly the work I do often requires multiple apps to be running on-screen for me to move between, so the bigger the screen the better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.