Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced that its 30th retail store in China opens in Xiamen, a major port city along the Taiwan Strait, on Thursday, January 14 at 10:00 a.m. local time. The store will be located in the SM Lifestyle Center shopping mall at 399 Jiahe Road in the city's southeastern Siming District.

SM-Lifestyle-Center.jpg
SM Lifestyle Center in Xiamen, China (Image: What's On Xiamen)

The new store will be open Monday to Sunday between 10:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. local time, and offer traditional Apple Store services, including the Genius Bar, Workshops, JointVenture, events and seminars. It will mark Apple's 26th retail store in mainland China, while the company also operates four retail stores in Hong Kong.

Apple has aggressively expanded its footprint in China under the leadership of retail chief Angela Ahrendts, with new stores in Shenyang on January 9, Nanning on December 12, Beijing on November 28 and Chengdu on November 21. Apple also opened retail stores in Chongqing, Hangzhou, Hong Kong, Nanjing and Tianjin throughout 2015.

Article Link: Apple's 30th Retail Store in China Opens in Xiamen on January 14

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This. The slumping Chinese economy can't be good for a company relying on it.

Apple's revenue comes 1/3 from NA, 1/4 from China, 1/4 from EU, and 1/6 from everywhere else.

While I wouldn't argue that China slumping is good for Apple, I think the US recession was a bigger problem for Apple than China slumping is. Apple did very well in the US recession, so I expect they're capable of doing better even as China slumps.

A much bigger issue, I think, is that Apple may have finally reached the point where they can't grow any further with the phone market. They need a new product to be successful now.

desmond2046

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Columbus, OH, United States
A strong dollar is definitely hurting Apple's oversea revenue.
USD appreciated around 20% over EURO in 2015 which could explain the stagnant growth in euro markets. The extreme depreciation of Brazilian Real and Russian Ruble will make business in these new markets very difficult. Now that Chinese Yuan is joining the league of depreciation currency, I am not optimistic on the growth of Chinese market within 2016.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Yes really. China jumped over the entire European markets combined in just one year. But we shall see.
How does that tie into the suggestion that Apple relied on American markets during the recent economic slowdown in the US? (That's what I was responding to.) Sry if I missed it.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Agree with the sentiment. But Apple can charge all they want. Think those vendors will pay?

No, they'll just repeat history. Look up "Microsoft 1970s Altair BASIC clone piracy free", "How Microsoft Conquered China", and other tech articles.
[doublepost=1452368502][/doublepost]
A strong dollar is definitely hurting Apple's oversea revenue.
USD appreciated around 20% over EURO in 2015 which could explain the stagnant growth in euro markets. The extreme depreciation of Brazilian Real and Russian Ruble will make business in these new markets very difficult. Now that Chinese Yuan is joining the league of depreciation currency, I am not optimistic on the growth of Chinese market within 2016.

So you want a weaker dollar? Most American citizens might not agree with you, given how much hurt there's been. And that's not going to help Apple in the long run either.

Skittlescatsmeow

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2016

Apple has announced that its 30th retail store in China opens in Xiamen, a major port city along the Taiwan Strait, on Thursday, January 14 at 10:00 a.m. local time. The store will be located in the SM Lifestyle Center shopping mall at 399 Jiahe Road in the city's southeastern Siming District.

SM-Lifestyle-Center.jpg

SM Lifestyle Center in Xiamen, China (Image: What's On Xiamen)

The new store will be open Monday to Sunday between 10:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. local time, and offer traditional Apple Store services, including the Genius Bar, Workshops, JointVenture, events and seminars. It will mark Apple's 26th retail store in mainland China, while the company also operates four retail stores in Hong Kong.

Apple has aggressively expanded its footprint in China under the leadership of retail chief Angela Ahrendts, with new stores in Shenyang on January 9, Nanning on December 12, Beijing on November 28 and Chengdu on November 21. Apple also opened retail stores in Chongqing, Hangzhou, Hong Kong, Nanjing and Tianjin throughout 2015.

Article Link: Apple's 30th Retail Store in China Opens in Xiamen on January 14
[doublepost=1452416136][/doublepost]Can some one send me a free Apple tshirt from this opening? Please and thank you eh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.