Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A bill that is working its way through the New York state assembly would require Apple and other smartphone manufacturers and mobile operating system providers to decrypt and unlock devices to aid law enforcement. The bill was first spotted by On The Wire (via The Next Web).

ios9security.jpg

Any smartphone sold or leased in New York after January 1, 2016 would have to be capable of being decrypted or unlocked by its manufacturer or OS provider. If manufacturers or OS providers do not comply, they would be subject to a fine of $2,500 per device.

Assemblyman Matthew Titone introduced the bill last summer and referred it to committee on January 6. In his notes accompanying the bill, Titone justified the decryption of smartphone security by citing the safety of citizens.
"The safety of the citizenry calls for a legislative solution, and a solution is easily at hand. Enacting this bill would penalize those who would sell smart- phones that are beyond the reach of law enforcement," the notes on the bill say.

"The fact is that, although the new software may enhance privacy for some users, it severely hampers law enforcement's ability to aid victims. All of the evidence contained in smartphones and similar devices will be lost to law enforcement, so long as the criminals take the precaution of protecting their devices with passcodes. Of course they will do so. Simply stated, passcode-protected devices render lawful court orders meaningless and encourage criminals to act with impunity."
The next steps for the bill would be for it to move to the floor and then be voted on in both the assembly and senate.

Tim Cook and Apple have consistently spoken out against putting backdoors in encryption technology, arguing that allowing a backdoor for "good guys" also allows "bad guys" to use it for more nefarious means. Last month, Apple criticized the proposed Investigatory Powers bill in the UK, which tracks users' website history and adds backdoors into encryption. Last week, Cook lambasted White House officials on their encryption policy, asking them to adopt a "no backdoors" approach.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: New York Bill Would Force Apple and Other Manufacturers to Decrypt Smartphones

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
will Tim stand up to his pledge for user privacy and stop selling iPhones in NY? #notbloodylikely

Profits trump pledges

Sadly, I have to agree with you. Would be amazing to see though... if they flat stopped selling them in NY. And i would bet that sales would not be impacted that much.... because the people that buy them would just cross a border and buy one elsewhere.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Don't they know they are only pushing me and others like me TO encryption? If Apple really has no backdoor, then NY's only recourse is to ban Apple products in the state. Can't make Apple do something that technically is not possible. I use FileVault 2, but DO NOT let Apple store my key. I DO NOT keep a copy of my key. My password is in my head.

Also, if/when I get a an iPhone in the future (still have the 5), I will NEVER use the fingerprint reader, as you can be legally compelled to offer your prints, whereas you cannot be compelled to offer a password. I don't use my stuff for anything illegal, but that's nobody's business. I go out of my way now to setup encryption.

Thanks government!

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
On the one hand there are situations where it would be really useful but if they can get in- the criminals can get in. Not sure worth compromising encryption for the rare cases it is necessary.

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA
Sadly, I have to agree with you. Would be amazing to see though... if they flat stopped selling them in NY. And i would bet that sales would not be impacted that much.... because the people that buy them would just cross a border and buy one elsewhere.

A lot of downstate New Yorkers already buy a lot of higher-end clothing in New Jersey because of the sales tax (well, lack of it).

Reactions: iAbc21 and bernuli

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Let's see, wasn't it the NY Attorney General that asked Apple to do something about the thefts of iPhones? And wasn't the response creating a system where the phone was useless to anyone but it's owner? And now they don't like the way Apple solved their problem? They can definitely take a long walk off a short pier. No way is Apple going to cave on this on.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Don't they know they are only pushing me and others like me TO encryption? If Apple really has no backdoor, then NY's only recourse is to ban Apple products in the state. Can't make Apple do something that technically is not possible. I use FileVault 2, but DO NOT let Apple store my key. I DO NOT keep a copy of my key. My password is in my head.

Also, if/when I get a an iPhone in the future (still have the 5), I will NEVER use the fingerprint reader, as you can be legally compelled to offer your prints, whereas you cannot be compelled to offer a password. I don't use my stuff for anything illegal, but that's nobody's business. I go out of my way now to setup encryption.

Thanks government!
Here's a tip - if law enforcement forces you to use Touch ID, restart the phone. A passcode will be required after a restart and fingerprints won't be accepted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.